Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How important is the fuel tank sock?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
andreic
The other week I had some problems with low fuel pressure on my 1972 914 1.7L. I have now diagnosed these by pulling the tank out -- one of the hoses under it was kinked.

However, while inspecting the fuel tank I discovered that there is no "sock" inside the tank. How worried should I be? Should I use this opportunity that the tank is out to add a sock? Or is it not a big deal to run the car only with a fuel filter, without the sock?

Thanks,
Andrei.
bandjoey
Important
TheCabinetmaker
I thought Jeff did a good job of answering that question in your other thread!
andreic
Got it. I already fully emptied the tank, I'll get a new sock and install it. As far as I could understand, this involves taking out the larger fitting from the tank and installing the sock over the end of it the tube that goes into the tank. Do I need any kind of washers/gaskets to seal the fitting back to the tank when I put it back in?

Thanks,
Andrei.
jim_hoyland
Years ago, a Porsche mechanic suggested deleting the sock and let the easily replaceable filter catch any debris. Kinda made sense since the filter gets replaced periodically anyway; the sock is another story.
Thought this made sense Considering the fuel socks proximity
worn
QUOTE(andreic @ Jun 10 2018, 02:29 PM) *

The other week I had some problems with low fuel pressure on my 1972 914 1.7L. I have now diagnosed these by pulling the tank out -- one of the hoses under it was kinked.

However, while inspecting the fuel tank I discovered that there is no "sock" inside the tank. How worried should I be? Should I use this opportunity that the tank is out to add a sock? Or is it not a big deal to run the car only with a fuel filter, without the sock?

Thanks,
Andrei.

I don’t see how you can replace the sock with fuel in the tank, so now is the time. They are cheap and easy to find. On the other hand fuel injectors are expensive and carb rebuilds take time and care. Have to say this is a clear choice. At least for me.
914 RZ-1
Does someone have a picture of this sock? My '72 does not have one.

Any links to Pelican Parts or other vendors that carry this would be appreciated as well.
Lucky9146
I bought the screen from AA because I thought he had the best deal on the nut and I needed that. Best of luck!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment
Steve
Curious is that a gasket or some sort of washer with the kit from AA
Lucky9146
QUOTE(Lucky9146 @ Jun 10 2018, 09:07 PM) *

I bought the screen from AA because I thought he had the best deal on the nut and I needed that. Best of luck!
driving.gif white914.jpg

Click to view attachment

Not A Kit!
The nipple and red gaskets were from Bruce Stone
The strainer and nut from AA
Don't recall where the copper gasket came from confused24.gif
white914.jpg
Drums66
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 10 2018, 05:42 PM) *

Years ago, a Porsche mechanic suggested deleting the sock and let the easily replaceable filter catch any debris. Kinda made sense since the filter gets replaced periodically anyway; the sock is another story.
Thought this made sense Considering the fuel socks proximity

.......I also deleted the sock, no problems...going on YEARS! w00t.gif
bye1.gif
andreic
Where do all the washers/gaskets go?
maf914
QUOTE(andreic @ Jun 11 2018, 08:27 AM) *

Where do all the washers/gaskets go?

I was wondering the same thing. In the order shown in Lucky9146's photo? All outside the tank?

Here is the PET diagram. See parts 8 to 14. Still not clear. idea.gif
xperu
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 10 2018, 11:28 PM) *

Curious is that a gasket or some sort of washer with the kit from AA

I got all I needed from AA . My old screen was gone, my have been the original. Easy to do with empty tank. Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.