Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7L valve springs, retainers, etc
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Building up a 1.7 "on the cheap" from parts that I have sitting around - I want to use it as a speeduino test bed (vs. using one of my running cars and ultimately having that car "off-line" for a while). Apparently I no longer have any stock springs, keepers or retainers, and somehow I lost one exhaust valve too. Can I use T1 parts (excluding the valve) without modifying the spring seat? Source for the missing valve?

Anyone have any stock 1.7 valvetrain parts they are looking to unload?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

-Chris
Mark Henry
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jun 10 2018, 09:26 PM) *

Can I use T1 parts (excluding the valve) without modifying the spring seat?

No.
type11969
Thanks, can you elaborate? I’m finding differing opinions online, and I’d like to get to the bottom of why they won’t or will work.

-Chris
Mark Henry
T4 springs and retainers are a larger OD, the springs are heavier than T1. The keepers will work.

In high performance engines you can modify to use Type 1 dual springs and retainers, but this also requires CrMo pushrods, rocker spacers, 911 adjusters....more than what you want to spend.

So "on the cheap" no they don't work.

rmital
QUOTE(type11969 @ Jun 10 2018, 09:26 PM) *

Anyone have any stock 1.7 valvetrain parts they are looking to unload?

-Chris

...there was a point where you couldn't give 1.7 stuff away...nothing out there to help Chris out?
type11969
Thanks Mark, do you have an actual spring rate comparison? Not trying to be a PIA, really more curious than anything. I found a good thread on the topic here:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3783221

I'm wondering if the "HD" T1 springs are equivalent to the light t4 springs listed in the above post. Again, keeping in mind that this is a stock build.

Ray - thanks for the bump, was hoping to catch up with you at the AACG this past fall but didn't see you/your 914 there. We split kind of early, I managed to get food poisoning the previous night. Fun times while camping! Big news on the Jets front, should be interesting to see what happens this year . . .

-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.