Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2019? Who, When, Where?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
Mikey914
Yes, now that we have finished the 2018, it's time to start the conversation.
2019. We need some committed individuals to pass the torch onto for next year. The where, is most likely going to be on the individuals who step up, and the when, will also be a factor of other events that schedules aren't finalized on until end of the year.

Would like to see one in central or socal for a change of scenery.

Cracker
...I'll do it. Little Rock, Arkansas. First weekend in June '19. biggrin.gif

PS: I want to give Steven a break... beerchug.gif

Cracker
TheCabinetmaker
Did they move little Rock to the West coast? chairfall.gif Would love to see another musr in that area.
rhodyguy
Beautiful Quincy in eastern WA.
Andyrew
I was pretty sure the Socal guys had already spoken up about it for the 914's 50th anniversary.

Its their turn as well (Socal, Norcal, PNW, rinse and repeat)

I think 2020 should be Napa, Monterey, or Fort Brag area but thats just my opinion smile.gif
ConeDodger
Yes, SoCal said they wanted it. Let’s see how they feel now. If they don’t, I’ll do Tahoe again... only with a party boat!
76-914
Mike. Leamon and Don put on a good show a few years back. hide.gif
Mikey914
There was some discussion about it going south, I'm just fine with that I'll go either way, just wanted to get the ball rolling, and people thinking. poke.gif

2020 should be a moving rally with a weekend in the middle somewhere. Personally I'd love to see Canada to San Diego, or vice versa. I'd make a special badge for all that complete on a run like that!
don-6
Mike, Leamon and I, have some big plans for 2020 to celibrate the 50th anniversary of the 914.
Details will be announced at a later date.
Mark, Matt and the guys from 914Rubber will also be on board.

Now back to the 2019 WCR discussion

Don
Andyrew
QUOTE(don-6 @ Jun 11 2018, 08:25 AM) *

Mike, Leamon and I, have some big plans for 2020 to celibrate the 50th anniversary of the 914.
Details will be announced at a later date.
Mark, Matt and the guys from 914Rubber will also be on board.

Now back to the 2019 WCR discussion

Don

Hm for some reason I thought it was going to be 19.. Sorry for the misleading info.

2020 should be a moving rally with a weekend in the middle somewhere. Personally I'd love to see Canada to San Diego, or vice versa. I'd make a special badge for all that complete on a run like that!

That sounds awesome! The PCA do stuff like that in this area but not so grandiose.

76-914
IMHO, If ya'll want to do the next one in SoCal I'd recommend the place in Idylwilde that we stayed at for Rt66 2017. There are 3 primo drives from this location as well. If we get near any of the larger City's traffic it becomes an act of Herding Cat's. beerchug.gif
1adam12
If SoCal is the plan and you make a swing route from the coast to the inland empire, I have a couple of stops and even factory tours to suggest. LA > Corona > Temecula > Escondido/San Diego.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jun 11 2018, 05:20 AM) *
...I'll do it. Little Rock, Arkansas. First weekend in June '19. biggrin.gif

My first 914 event was in Little Rock, drove Sean's white 914 all the way out there to drop it off.
driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 11 2018, 08:35 AM) *

That sounds awesome! The PCA do stuff like that in this area but not so grandiose.

agree.gif
A tour of the whole west coast would be awesome!

It would have to start up in the rainy cold parts and end up in the sun.
Otherwise it's just too depressing, people need something to look forward to.
biggrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2018, 11:09 AM) *

agree.gif

biggrin.gif

I just mapped it out, 5 days of driving would get you from Vancouver to San Diego but that would be a lot of driving every day.

If you spread it out to a full week and make it 7 days of driving you can take the scenic routes down the coast.
And please, no cheap, crappy Travel Lodge accommodations!

On a trip like that, i would want to stay in nice places along the way.
driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2018, 11:16 AM) *
driving.gif

Like this place, the Benbow Inn on 101. I've stayed there several times, it's awesome!
http://www.benbowinn.com/
wub.gif
Mikey914
I like the way your thinking Andy.

The 2019 location will be a function of who steps up.

Right now its looking like Tahoe as Rob is the only one that has commited to organize so far.

It's a fall back, but hoping we can get some Socal guys to organize.

And yes technically 69 is when the 914 was 1st sold, but, but 2020 gives us some time to fulky organize.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 11 2018, 03:20 PM) *

I like the way your thinking Andy.

The 2019 location will be a function of who steps up.

Right now its looking like Tahoe as Rob is the only one that has commited to organize so far.

It's a fall back, but hoping we can get some Socal guys to organize.

And yes technically 69 is when the 914 was 1st sold, but, but 2020 gives us some time to fulky organize.

I already have a loose team... evilgrin.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 11 2018, 11:38 AM) *

Wrong forum, this isn't the Sandbox ...
poke.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2018, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 11 2018, 11:38 AM) *

Wrong forum, this isn't the Sandbox ...
poke.gif

av-943.gif av-943.gif sorry. blink.gif
JRust
If WCR 2020 is the big run down the coast. Tahoe sure sounds good for WCR 2019
Andyrew
QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 11 2018, 12:08 PM) *

agree.gif
RARE 6
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 11 2018, 11:14 AM) *

QUOTE(JRust @ Jun 11 2018, 12:08 PM) *

agree.gif

Did the full coastal run from Neah Bay to Point Loma in the -6 a couple of summers ago. Epic. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Still on the bucket list is the full run down the East Coast, Maine to Key West, hopefully next fall.
ConeDodger
Fine then, Teeners by the Lake it is! biggrin.gif
Chris914n6
If 2020 is going to be that epic, then here is my crazy idea....

2>1<2

Separate starts North & South for a day, meet in the middle for a day, head back N&S for a day. If you have the week off then you can go all in one way and drive the long ass way thru the 'other' twists on the way back home. For the rest of us we can do the 'halfway' trip and still get a full weekend of fun in.

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2018, 11:16 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2018, 11:09 AM) *

agree.gif

biggrin.gif

I just mapped it out, 5 days of driving would get you from Vancouver to San Diego but that would be a lot of driving every day.

If you spread it out to a full week and make it 7 days of driving you can take the scenic routes down the coast.
And please, no cheap, crappy Travel Lodge accommodations!

driving.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 11 2018, 04:53 PM) *
Separate starts North & South for a day, meet in the middle for a day, head back N&S for a day. If you have the week off then you can go all in one way and drive the long ass way thru the 'other' twists on the way back home. For the rest of us we can do the 'halfway' trip and still get a full weekend of fun in.

If we drive the scenice route along the coast the full drive from Vancouver to San Diego is 2,730 miles.

So if i wanted to do the whole trip i would have to drive up to Vancouver, drive down to San Diego and then drive back up to the Bay Area.

That's 5,460 miles ...
blink.gif
SirAndy
driving.gif
don-6
We are planning a northern group heading south, and a southern group heading north.
We will meet in the middle for a big 914 event.
It will be a multiple day Treffen drive. People can do the whole event or hop in when they can. We want this to be inclusive for as many 914 owners as possible.
Now... back to the 2019 event planning

Don
Mikey914
For 2019 we still have options. It's been most gracious of Rob to step up as a back up. He's done this several times in the past. I was hoping fro some of the southern contingent to step in, but at least we have an out.

So, how long should we keep the decision up in the air as far as where?

A month sound good? I really want to get anyone that wants to help out the chance to do this.

Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2018, 05:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 11 2018, 04:53 PM) *

If we drive the scenice route along the coast the full drive from Vancouver to San Diego is 2,730 miles.

So if i wanted to do the whole trip i would have to drive up to Vancouver, drive down to San Diego and then drive back up to the Bay Area.

That's 5,460 miles ...
blink.gif

That sure as hell sounds like 2 weeks!!
There has got to be a better more logical way of doing this. We would have to have 2 or 3 support trailers and 5-10ea of the standard consumable replacement parts(Possibly a good ploy for a couple of big house sponsors.. And we would definitely need the PCA involved for insurance alone with that many miles logged.

What if we broke it up differently and less extended?

1. Santa Barbara (Stop at Solvang, Pismo Beach, Big Sur)
2. Monterey (Stop at HPH in Redwood City, Drive through SF, Drive through Napa Valley and tour some wines)
3. Fort Bragg (drive through the redwoods/valley of the giants, Stop at Lost Coast brewing company, Maybe a lumber mill for photos)
4. Southern Oregon
5. Northern Oregon/south washington

THis would be ~ 300mile daily drives with stops all the way in between. Oregon people could fill in the oregon stops. This could be done either way but its much easier for people to make this long of a trip.

Spitballing smile.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(don-6 @ Jun 11 2018, 05:13 PM) *

We are planning a northern group heading south, and a southern group heading north.
We will meet in the middle for a big 914 event.
It will be a multiple day Treffen drive. People can do the whole event or hop in when they can. We want this to be inclusive for as many 914 owners as possible.
Now... back to the 2019 event planning

Don

Woops just saw this.. Sorry that sounds good smile.gif I'll stop impeding smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 11 2018, 07:12 PM) *
Woops just saw this.. Sorry that sounds good smile.gif I'll stop impeding smile.gif

You are such a trouble maker ...
biggrin.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 11 2018, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 11 2018, 07:12 PM) *

You are such a trouble maker ...
biggrin.gif

stirthepot.gif type.gif biggrin.gif
don-6
No problem Andrew biggrin.gif
It's good to see that people are excited about a Treffen in 2020.
We will be looking for input and logistical help from a lot of people.
Your sugestions are the type of trip we will be planning.

I was just trying to remind that the question at hand is where to plan 2019

Don
rhodyguy
Get your passports for the Blaine border crossing. Members with a chunk of land could host camping. Big enough driveway one could park trailers.
Mikey914
Nice to see such enthusiasm for 2020.

914 Ranch
Well as long as you guys got 2020 happening and I can't help with that, I'll join in with Tony support the Wild West Classic in the South East.
Host WCR 2009.
rhodyguy
Andrew, there is nothing, NOTHING, in southwest WA. The drive from my house down the coast to Coos Bay, via Astoria, takes a FULL day. Off tourist season. Factor in motor homes and boat/travel trailers you're looking at 25mph when you manage to move. If you're lucky.
Coondog
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 13 2018, 06:36 AM) *

Andrew, there is nothing, NOTHING, in southwest WA. The drive from my house down the coast to Coos Bay, via Astoria, takes a FULL day. Off tourist season. Factor in motor homes and boat/travel trailers you're looking at 25mph when you manage to move. If you're lucky.

Agree, just made that trip. Don’t know who’s been to HPH in Redwood City but there is no parking and if there was you need a armed guard to watch are cars. Plus HPH has so much stuff everywhere I don’t think you could get 5 people inside his property.

Your on the right track Andrew, maybe start or end in Santa Barbara/Petaluma.
76-914
QUOTE(don-6 @ Jun 11 2018, 07:53 PM) *

Don

Agreed. This thread got off track quickly. Mark, you might want to change the title of this thread to WCR2020 then start another WCR2019 thread. confused24.gif
green914
Tahoe sounds great for 2019! agree.gif
Mikey914
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 13 2018, 06:55 AM) *

QUOTE(don-6 @ Jun 11 2018, 07:53 PM) *

Don

Agreed. This thread got off track quickly. Mark, you might want to change the title of this thread to WCR2020 then start another WCR2019 thread. confused24.gif

The intent is to deal with 2019. We need to get that worked out 1st. Sounds like 2020 will not be an issue.

So 2019

Default is Tahoe

Looking for options
Elliot Cannon
As far as 2020 goes, I think you might get more people to attend if everyone meets in the middle somewhere. It would be a lot more affordable time and money wise. You could plan separate and interesting routes for the southern and northern groups and everyone could meet in the middle and exchange experiences. Just $.02 biggrin.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 13 2018, 09:42 AM) *

As far as 2020 goes, I think you might get more people to attend if everyone meets in the middle somewhere. It would be a lot more affordable time and money wise. You could plan separate and interesting routes for the southern and northern groups and everyone could meet in the middle and exchange experiences. Just $.02 biggrin.gif

Elliot, someone has hacked into your account and is speaking intelligently. av-943.gif lol-2.gif
RoadGlue

Andrew mentioned Fort Bragg which is just ten minutes up Hwy 1 from the town of Mendocino and has reasonably priced accommodations.

Positives:

- Stunningly beautiful coastal scenery
- Sea Level! Less overheating / altitude concerns
- Coastal Highways are fantastic in that area, lots of twisties south and north of the area
- Tons of hotels
- Good eats and drinks
- Lots of coastal parks and places for photo ops

Negatives:

- Can be busy, even mid-week during the summer. Roads may have lots RVs, etc., though certainly not as bad as Tahoe's traffic.
- Off the beaten path, some tweakers though it's not bad
- Likely to encounter fog/wind/cold

I think it would be an interesting alternative to Tahoe, though Tahoe has been good for the group too.

jim_hoyland
Has Shasta been considered ?
RoadGlue
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 13 2018, 03:36 PM) *

The Datsun 2000 club meets there annually, so it wouldn't be difficult to get tour routes, etc, from those guys.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(RoadGlue @ Jun 13 2018, 03:39 PM) *

QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Jun 13 2018, 03:36 PM) *

The Datsun 2000 club meets there annually, so it wouldn't be difficult to get tour routes, etc, from those guys.

I mentioned Shasta cause we been to Tahoe twice. Heard Shasta has the views, Roads, and great places to stay and eat
don-6
Shasta Lake is one of the locations being considered for the 2020 WCR.
Matty900
I thought the roads and everything were great in Paso Robles/ San Simone. I wouldn't mind that area and Treffen North. I wouldn't be able to get routes dialed in but would be willing to help with other things.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.