Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front Brake Caliper - BMW E21
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bodocean
I recently got my 914. Feels like it was a barn find, so it came with disconnected fuel lines and no brakes mounted. All the parts where in the frunk and trunk.

I tried fitting the front brakes but i didn't get it working, because the brakes doesn't fit.
The seller told me they were 914 brakes and should fit perfectly but the more i research the more i think they are the BMW E21 320i brakes.

I hope you guys can help me identifying what brake calipers I have. If they are the E21 ones i'll add the dimensions and what has to be done to it to make them fit to your 914

Thanks for your help guys!

here the Pictures:

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Mblizzard
Quick question.. Are these the brakes you want on the car? Unless you have a specific reason for using these I would get the stock brakes from PMB and not risk the retro fit process unless there is a good reason and you have the skills to complete.

PMB is not cheap but it is a one and done approach.

bodocean
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 11 2018, 03:09 PM) *

PMB is not cheap but it is a one and done approach.

The only reason I wanted to fit them on the car was because they came with the car. (were never mounted though) I thought the previous owner seemed like he knew what he was doing.

E21 or Stock Brakes? I do have a Shop, who can machine it for me so this is not a problem. I couldn't find 914 calipers under 350$ (i don't have a core) but i found cheaper E21s
Mblizzard
Look for member Eric Shea and PM him to ask him what modifications are required.

True the stock units are not cheap but they are hard to beat.
bodocean
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 11 2018, 04:06 PM) *

Look for member Eric Shea and PM him to ask him what modifications are required.

True the stock units are not cheap but they are hard to beat.

Thank you! Helped me with my decision.

Summed up i will get the original 914 ones even if they are more expensive.
burton73
Hi welcome to the world. Lots of great people here to help you and most will try to swing you a deal. Lots of guys change out so them may be able to help you out. Great advice delivered here most of the time and guys are trying to help fellow 914 bros.

Bob B
welcome.png
BENBRO02
Did anyone ever determine what your calipers were? I have what looks like the same calipers on my car. I bought all the late suspension parts except calipers and now the calipers won't fit. Okteenerfest is fast approaching and I don't have what I need. Yikes!
bdstone914
@BENBRO02

The ones pictured from the original poster are stock 914 calipers.
Do you have no calipers or just bad ones ?
I have early or late front cores if that is any use to you. Some might be usable.
I would see if PMB can send out a restored pair to get you going.

Bruce
BENBRO02
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Sep 1 2019, 09:47 PM) *

@BENBRO02

The ones pictured from the original poster are stock 914 calipers.
Do you have no calipers or just bad ones ?
I have early or late front cores if that is any use to you. Some might be usable.
I would see if PMB can send out a restored pair to get you going.

Bruce

My car had what I thought was an early suspension and late calipers. It had washers added between the early spindles and calipers, and spacers so the wheels wouldn't hit the calipers. It shimmies at highway speed because of the spacers. I bought all the late suspension parts from PMB but now the calipers I have won't fit.Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
BENBRO02
@bdstone914

Something is wrong. Any idea what?
bdstone914
@BENBRO02

[/quote]

Yes, You have late struts, looks like early calipers. Cant tell for sure on the calipers from that angle. Do the inlets use Banjo bolts 12mm or a direct 10mm line nut ?
The change is a VIN 19032.

I can see the taper pin in the bottom of the strut so the struts are late.

Think you need a pair of late calipers to match to what you have.
Bruce
BENBRO02
[quote name='bdstone914' date='Sep 1 2019, 10:15 PM' post='2743313']
@BENBRO02

[/quote]

Yes, You have late struts, looks like early calipers. Cant tell for sure on the calipers from that angle. Do the inlets use Banjo bolts 12mm or a direct 10mm line nut ?

Bruce
[/quote]
BENBRO02
[quote name='BENBRO02' date='Sep 1 2019, 10:33 PM' post='2743314']
@BENBRO02

[/quote]

Bruce
[/quote]
[/quote]
These were sold to me as late calipers (double bleeders) and they match what I had.
BENBRO02
[quote name='BENBRO02' date='Sep 1 2019, 10:37 PM' post='2743315']
[quote name='BENBRO02' date='Sep 1 2019, 10:33 PM' post='2743314']
@BENBRO02

[/quote]

Bruce
[/quote]
[/quote]
These were sold to me as late calipers (double bleeders) and they match what I had.
[/quote]
Also these calipers didn't fit correctly with the early suspension I had on the car so how could they be early calipers?
Gatornapper
Interesting. My 914 came with the same brakes on them. They work great. Apparently almost no mods are needed for them to fit - mounting bolt holes are the same. A small part of the pan needs to be bent away, that's all.

The outer half of my right caliper had a crack in the lip, could not find but one nasty caliper for $100 in whole country.

Our hero Eric at PMB came to my aid - he had what I needed and sent it to me quickly. BTW, he rebuilds BMW brakes too and knew the caliper well.

The brakes work fine. Rotors appear stock.

I think the E21 brakes have a slightly larger surface area on the pistons.

GN

QUOTE(bodocean @ Jun 11 2018, 10:17 AM) *

I recently got my 914. Feels like it was a barn find, so it came with disconnected fuel lines and no brakes mounted. All the parts where in the frunk and trunk.

I tried fitting the front brakes but i didn't get it working, because the brakes doesn't fit.
The seller told me they were 914 brakes and should fit perfectly but the more i research the more i think they are the BMW E21 320i brakes.

I hope you guys can help me identifying what brake calipers I have. If they are the E21 ones i'll add the dimensions and what has to be done to it to make them fit to your 914

Thanks for your help guys!

here the Pictures:

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.