Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Intermediate plate bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jr91472
well I am preceding forward in my attempt to make one really good tranny from 2 fair ones. I removed the pinion shaft from one and found this.....
jr91472
Unfortunately, this is the intermediate plate that goes with my good ring/pinion combo.

So....

1. How hard are these to replace?
2. In replacing this bearing, am I going to mess up my pinion depth?

hopefully I will find a usable replacement bearinig in the other tranny....oh please, oh please pray.gif pray.gif
bondo
I've never replaced that, but it can't be THAT hard. Technically it could mess up your pinion depth, but probably not by a significant amount. I would be more worried about abnormal pinion wear because of a bad bearing.. but perhaps not, it looks like the cage is all that's damaged.

(I have used trans parts for sale, I think I have one of those bearings if your other one isn't good)
jr91472
yea, from what I can see (with the bearing still in the plate), the balls look fine.

what confuses me about replacing the bearing is how do you tell if it is seated in the proper place?

Anyone else ever done this?
jr91472
QUOTE (bondo @ Jun 11 2005, 11:05 AM)
(I have used trans parts for sale, I think I have one of those bearings if your other one isn't good)

will keep that in mind, thankyou!!!
Cap'n Krusty
It's easy, and it doesn't affect the pinion depth. Best look at the M/S bearing, too. They're pressed into the plate, and held in place by a cover. Don't mix up the inner races if you can help it. I have them both, new and used. The Cap'n
jr91472
QUOTE (Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 11 2005, 11:26 AM)
It's easy, and it doesn't affect the pinion depth. Best look at the M/S bearing, too. They're pressed into the plate, and held in place by a cover. Don't mix up the inner races if you can help it. I have them both, new and used. The Cap'n

that's good to hear. and yes, drive shaft to come out next.

you guys are a great safty net. smilie_pokal.gif smilie_pokal.gif
ClayPerrine
You can come over here and get some used ones that I have free. I also have the cut down tranny case for setting up the shift rods.

The bearings are easy to change. Just undo the bolts holding them in and press them out of the plate.

Call if you get stuck on anything.

jr91472
Thanks Clay! As usual, you are more than generous.

I will definetly call you this week regarding your cut down case for adjusting the shift forks...I can already tell how much easier that will be.

Right now, I can't figure out how to get the drive shafts out of the intermediate plate. They won't budge. Going to borrow a gear puller today and see if taking off 1st gear will help.

thanks again.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (jr91472 @ Jun 12 2005, 04:54 AM)

Right now, I can't figure out how to get the drive shafts out of the intermediate plate. They won't budge. Going to borrow a gear puller today and see if taking off 1st gear will help.

You have to remove 1st gear. The pinion shaft will not come out without removing it.

If you want to use the press I have, you are welcome to bring the gear stack here.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.