Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Jack Stands on Sale - Harbor Freight
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zoomCat
I always wind up buying something I wasn't planning on whenever I'm at HF. At least they were marked down to $12.99 this week. And some cable ties and some hose clamps...

Since every thread should have pictures here's one with a small three-legged cat for size reference:
Brando
1 leg per ton?
zoomCat
I guess since the jack stand uses four supports to hold up 3 tons that would make the cat stronger than steel.
GWN7
Cats name is tripod? wink.gif
zoomCat
We call her tripod occasionaly, although that isn't her given name. She is also sometimes erroneously referred to as 'Stumpy', even though she doesn't have one. The leg was taken surgicaly because of an injury when she was hit by a car when very young.

My wife is a veterinarian. We collect cats with stories.

We did have another cat (she died a few months ago) that had one rear leg shortened by a spring trap, she had a stump. She got called Stumpy, as well as PogoButt; the latter makes more sense if you saw her walking away from you.
GWN7
My sister is a veterinarian. She lives just outside the city and collects ditch dogs. Dogs that owners drive outside the city and dump in a ditch....... sad.gif
zoomCat
Well, lets see...

We've got one who was brought into the clinic my wife was working with his two sisters. The two sisters died from some viral infection, but he survived with some neurological deficits. We had one that was a retired blood donor, he's the cat shown in my avatar. The three legged one pictured above was brought into a clinic after being scraped off the road at a very yound age, after three days in a coma the clinic staff put 'Levin's Folly' on the cage card; the name 'Folly' has stuck. The other three legged cat was a barn cat that got caught in a varmit trap and had a rear leg amputated above the knee, and could no longer be a barn cat.

The latest additions were fairly recent, a friend found some kittens abandoned outside her workplace and we're raising them for a bit. Looks like we'll keep two. So far, these are all healthy.
smooth_eddy
Back to the jack stands....

My jack stands are the ones I made in high school and are big enough to hold up a semi truck. Plus, they are too tall for the most part. Those look pretty nice. Is the range of height good for teeners? Eddy
CptTripps
My wife has a 16yr old cat that pisses all over the basement floor...next to the litter box though!

Any of you are MORE than welcome to come take her!
zoomCat
eddy: I'll try to get a pic of my car up on one of these creamsicle stands tomorrow. I'll leave the cat out of the picture.

doug: In my experience cats that piss next to the box but not in it either 1) don't like something about the box or litter, either it smells bad or its too tall or something; or 2) they don't like you. No accounting for taste. lol2.gif At least the cat doesn't poop in your shoe. Or your car.
ClayPerrine
We have an "interesting" cat. He is bulemic. Almost every other night the "hurka-gurka" alarm clock goes off and I have to get up and clean it up. But I got some satasfaction the other night. Our other cat threw up in Betty's shoe!!!! barf.gif
neo914-6
Our cat has been throwing up lately. My wife says it's because I didn't buy the "EASY ON THE TUMMY" Eukanuba. Dam stuff costs enough, now I need to buy a special type. confused24.gif

Back to jackstands, I inherited a HD pair my dad "inherited" from the Army for working on trucks. I never worry about being under a car with them... cool.gif
zoomCat
So, here's a shot of a 914 being held aloft with said jack stands. At full extension it's high enough for the tire to clear the ground, in this case a 195/60 14. Next to it you can see the lowest height, and the previous jackstand that these are replacing.

A 914 on jackstands:

tat2dphreak
here's a jack stand related Question... how high do you set them and still feel safe? I have some that's the same height as these HF ones, but a different brand(I think I got them at Wal-mart many years ago) beyond about the 1/2 way mark, I don't like to be the one under the car... opinions?
jd74914
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 12 2005, 09:44 AM)
here's a jack stand related Question... how high do you set them and still feel safe? I have some that's the same height as these HF ones, but a different brand(I think I got them at Wal-mart many years ago) beyond about the 1/2 way mark, I don't like to be the one under the car... opinions?

I set mine pretty high, about 2/3 way up (sor me that equates to almost 2.5 feet), but I don't think mine count because they are good for 8tons each, and have a wicked wide base, really stocky arm, and a huge reciever on top. wink.gif

What I always do with a car on jackstands is try to push it off before I get under it. If it doesn't move/shake alot I feel safe biggrin.gif
BMartin914
What I always do with a car on jackstands is try to push it off before I get under it. If it doesn't move/shake alot I feel safe

agree.gif

Also...a word of caution. I bought four of these jackstands about a year ago. Had the front end of a Pathfider supported by them for a few days while I replaced the lower balljoints. When I removed them to lower the truck back down, one of the tounges on ONE of the stands was bent down. I have been very wary of what I support with them since.

They are probably fine for a teener (use them often for that) but I would use a heavier duty stand for a larger (heavier) vehicle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.