Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spinning the schlicks ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
ok, just got back from the AX in alameda. great event, great (fast and loooong) course.

andrew blyholder smoked the whole competition (again), i don't think anyone came even close.
my last minute suspension tweak worked out better than expected, car turned in nice.

but, of course, now i'm having a new problem ... screwy.gif

every time i unload the driver side (left hand turns), that rear wheel just spins. like tire smoking spinning. icon8.gif
even in 3rd gear. even in not so tight corners. slight unload and up go the RPM but i'm not moving any faster.
obviously, i'm loosing quite some time there.

remeber that i'm running the 9" good year schlicks. my 2.0L should *not* be able to spin those at will in 3rd gear.

now what?
confused24.gif Andy

PS: grant was hauling a$$ out there with his stock 1.8L ! he was only 0.5 sec slower than me! ohmy.gif
and only until the very last run of the day did i finally beat him ...
way to go grant! smilie_pokal.gif
redshift
huh.gif

hahaha.. you are the rocketman..

I'd say some type of LSD is in your future, and probably in your past.. laugh.gif you are at one, with the Universe.

M
GWN7
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 11 2005, 03:40 PM)
ok, just got back from the AX in alameda. great event, great (fast and loooong) course.

andrew blyholder smoked the whole competition (again), i don't think anyone came even close.
my last minute suspension tweak worked out better than expected, car turned in nice.

but, of course, now i'm having a new problem ... screwy.gif

every time i unload the driver side (left hand turns), that rear wheel just spins. like tire smoking spinning. icon8.gif
even in 3rd gear. even in not so tight corners. slight unload and up go the RPM but i'm not moving any faster.
obviously, i'm loosing quite some time there.

remeber that i'm running the 9" good year schlicks. my 2.0L should *not* be able to spin those at will in 3rd gear.

now what?
confused24.gif Andy

PS: grant was hauling a$$ out there with his stock 1.8L ! he was only 0.5 sec slower than me! ohmy.gif
and only until the very last run of the day did i finally beat him ...
way to go grant! smilie_pokal.gif

reduce your horsepower (sell engine) wink.gif Put a stock 1.7 back in. rolleyes.gif
ArtechnikA
more rear spring / less damper rebound.

the car is rolling onto its left side at turn-in and then the wheel can't get back to the pavement in time for corner exit. undersprung/overdamped - change whichever ONE of those brings you closer to balance. if you like the static over/understeer balance, just take out some damper (the cheaper and easier fix too...)

also - and this is the hard part - you must learn to be VERY smooth and precise. if you can turn in exactly the right amount and hold it, it'll help A LOT. when you countersteer it promotes the kind of unloading you're experiencing.

easier said than done, i know all to well...
TravisNeff
Andy, are you still having trouble with your front end lifting like the last photos you shared?
Joe Ricard
Andy, just curious of what kind rear spring you are running? Rear shock setting. I would hope you ditched the rear bar. What about front sway bar setting and front torsion bar and shock settings.

Just so I can learn what different combos do to handling.
grantsfo
Thanks Andy! It was fun having the "who's going to buy everyone beer competition". ..And only my 1.8 engine is still stock, my suspension is pretty well dialed in and as much as I hate it all that fiberglass helped me today. With less weight the car was getting through the slaloms very quickly so I could use all my 85 hp to the max. Thanks for not making fun of my rattle can black deck lids!

From what I saw your car looks a lot better going around corners. ..not lifting that front wheel as much.
Borderline
Andy..You didn't mention right hand turns. Was the right rear spinning in the right handers??? Could be a corner wt. problem. just my .02

Bill
Demick
As Joe mentioned, do you have a rear bar? If so, that will lift the inside rear wheel and let it spin like that.

Demick
SirAndy
no rear bar, 180lbs progressive springs in the rear, bilstein shocks ...
front is all '84 carrera with stock 911 boge shocks and a 22mm hollow sway bar set to full soft ...
right hand turns are fine as the driving wheel is under load ...

i believe more rear spring is the answer, but that also means a complete new shock setup as well. ($$$) ...
i was toying with the idea of adding a rear bar instead which should be good for about 30lbs of additional rear spring ...

ah craps, will this ever end?
unsure.gif Andy
nebreitling
andy, having seen you drive the car at marina, you have a tendency to throw the weight around pretty damn radically -- and you've got the tires to support this. that said, you know your suspension is in tatters. let's see: you've got big-ass cantilever slicks with no front shocks to speak of, and your progressive springs probably START their compression around 100#s...

you can put adjustable collars with 2.5x10" race springs on your bilsteins. i'm running them. if i were you, i'd go straight to 225 or even 250#s -- you've got more than enough front bar to dial out any oversteer this would cause.

you've got the makings of a DAMN FAST car, andy. i can't believe how well those slicks stick. once you get it dialed in, you will be SCARY.
SirAndy
QUOTE (nebreitling @ Jun 12 2005, 01:00 PM)
once you get it dialed in, you will be SCARY.

some people believe i already am ... biggrin.gif

the 180 progressives start out as 140lbs (measured them friday at HPH). but then i remembered a trick from my old dirt bike days (anyone remember Hondas Pro-Link progressive setup?).
we used to run the springs upside-down on the dirt bike which made them harder, did the same on my car friday and it worked.
they feel stiffer now (closer to 180 i guess) and the understeer was almost gone.

i guess i could just run the threaded colars and 225lbs springs on my bilsteins ...
idea.gif Andy
Trekkor
I'd try a rear bar first.

My car *never* spins the wheels and is flat as can be.

I'm running 200# rears on Koni yellow.
My car has more power, too. ( not that it matters, apparently ) dry.gif

KT
ChrisReale
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 12 2005, 12:07 PM)

i guess i could just run the threaded colars and 225lbs springs on my bilsteins ...
idea.gif Andy

sheeplove.gif I agree
J P Stein
Much to my disgust, I lifted the inside rear at Mather....on concrete, but only in one turn.
300lb rears.

Trekkor:
You're not lifting the inside rear cause you're not generating enuff grip. I'm not trying to be mean, but your tires are shit. You can't expect to go as fast as your buddies that have gud tires.
Joe Ricard
Just for reference once again.
150 lb coil over with spring rubber inbetween one coil.
No rear bar. Koni Adjustables@ 1/2 Front is stock torsion bars with Koni adjustables @1/4 22mm sway bar 1" from end. 205/50 -15 A compound Hoosiers on 8" rims 31 PSI With 4 1/2 inch back space. (the track width is massive)
Result is pretty darn nuetral and ass loads of grip
ArtechnikA
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 12 2005, 03:45 PM)
ah craps, will this ever end?

when you are a serious contender for TToD at every event you enter, it will be close to ending. it's just maintenance after that point.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.