Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint Code Identification
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Franky_Four_Fingers
I recently purchased my 1975 2.0 from a board member who claimed the color was special order.

The ID plate in the door jam reads L98:

Click to view attachment

I haven't been able to find that code listed on any the websites I have visited, but it does look a lot like "Ice Green Metallic" from the 911.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks! beerchug.gif
davep
L98 is the "catch all code" for a custom color. If you can confirm that the original color is Ice Green Metallic by seeking areas of un-repainted areas such as the cowl struts inside the front trunk, then that is probably correct. I do not recall Ice Green Metallic being used on a 914 before, so rather a rare choice.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Franky_Four_Fingers @ Jun 13 2018, 11:41 AM) *

I haven't been able to find that code listed on any the websites I have visited

Should have looked here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors
shades.gif
Franky_Four_Fingers
Thanks for the info, this is definitely the original color:

Click to view attachment

Since it's rare, how foolish would it be to change it? -The plan was a -6 conversion with steel flares, so I'm wondering if I should really worry about originality.

QUOTE(davep @ Jun 13 2018, 01:57 PM) *

L98 is the "catch all code" for a custom color. If you can confirm that the original color is Ice Green Metallic by seeking areas of un-repainted areas such as the cowl struts inside the front trunk, then that is probably correct. I do not recall Ice Green Metallic being used on a 914 before, so rather a rare choice.

Franky_Four_Fingers
Thanks for the link! beerchug.gif

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 13 2018, 02:00 PM) *

QUOTE(Franky_Four_Fingers @ Jun 13 2018, 11:41 AM) *

I haven't been able to find that code listed on any the websites I have visited

Should have looked here:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors
shades.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(Franky_Four_Fingers @ Jun 13 2018, 12:41 PM) *

Since it's rare, how foolish would it be to change it? -The plan was a -6 conversion with steel flares, so I'm wondering if I should really worry about originality.

It's about as rare as it gets in terms of color.

If you don't care about these things you might be better off selling it to someone who does and use that money to buy a /6 conversion car.
driving.gif
Tom_T
L98 - denoted "paint to match" with any Porsche color, so you can use the 356 - 911/912 colors up to the MY to find your color.

L99 - denoted "match to customer sample" - so it could've been anything, including the wife's lipstick or nail polish, & the search for the correct color is endless.

There was at least one member on here with Ice Green Metallis.

Try to find a better undisturbed spot where the original paint wasn't exposed to light & weather, to use for color matching (behind an ID plate would be pristine-ish, if you're planning to remove them for the resto anyway).

Google for 911 colors & look at their sample online, but an actual sample in hand would be more accurate - & even then, you may need to get a pro auto paint supplier to "shoot it" with their color gun to get a paint match today. Try to stick with Dupont, PPG, Glasurit, Sekkunds, etc. top paint mfgrs. for your paints though.

Also, that link SirAndy gave you comes from the 914 Info link at the top right of this website's pages, & lotsa other good info there.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
championgt1
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=293443&hl=

Check out this thread. Cool color BTW. beerchug.gif
Franky_Four_Fingers
Big thanks to everyone for their assistance, it's very much appreciated! beerchug.gif

davep
Please post or PM the VIN for my research.
Dave
Franky_Four_Fingers
VIN: 4752907992

Purchased from Mark Winter (Colorado Springs)
Franky_Four_Fingers
some more pics
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Coondog
I had one that color also, except I didn’t know it was a rare color..... blink.gif
I say flare it, put a 6 in it and paint it the original color.
Chris914n6
You are way past doing a resto so it really doesn't matter anymore. But I think that color would look sharp on a flared car.
porschetub
QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 14 2018, 06:24 PM) *

You are way past doing a resto so it really doesn't matter anymore. But I think that color would look sharp on a flared car.

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.