Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 Project Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ASMIT28
I currently own a 1971 Porsche 1.7 914 i am a big fan I am of Porsches so this will be my very first project. I want to build it slowly but right with the $ I can spend on it.

The previous owner informed me the 1.7 engine needs a rebuild so after a compression test surely it did. I was able to recently pick up a 1.8 engine and trans off a 1974 914. The reason for this was so the engine was rebuilt with 7,000 miles until the owner was hit in an accident. He was able to save the engine and transmission and put it in his tool shed. The reason for this purchase was my hopes to get the side shift transmission and engine together and do an engine swap with the current 1.7. Since I am not familiar with air cooled cars besides what I can read on the forums, what steps would I need to make the swap happen as smoothly as possible. Any suggestions would be great.
Cairo94507
welcome.png Well heck that is the way to get into 914's. I think it would help you get replies if you posted pictures of what you actually have to begin with.

Is that the replacement engine with just 7K miles on it? I sure hope not- it looks like it has never been touched. Is that the transaxle? Lets see what you have to work with and then people will jump in.
Good luck and have fun along the way. beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.