RangerRhett
Pass
RangerRhett
Driver
URY914
Thats not too bad really. Seen worse.
RangerRhett
Guys,

I have only had my 914 for a few months and I finally got around to giving it a real bath...what with the spring weather in the midwest being unpredictable.

I tried to be as careful as possible when I washed it and I was studying how the water got into the cabin through the crack at the top of the window, and how the water seeped through the rear panel onto the top of the battery and down.

My first glance at the hell-holes when I purchased the car was good, and the car is still structurally sound (Longs are in good shape and so is the battery tray as well as the condition of the door jams).

My question is this:
Can I do anything to prevent this from continuing to get worse? I was thinking Rustoleum or something of that nature.
Also, how fast does this rust form? Is it possible that it has only rusted since I have owned it?

See Pics above...

Thanks
RangerRhett
QUOTE (URY914 @ Jun 11 2005, 05:32 PM)
Thats not too bad really. Seen worse.

URY914,

You beat me to my question.... smile.gif

MattR
Thats what we call a solid long. A wire brush and por15 treatment and i'll be good to go!

por15 available at www.prp-porstore.com
scotty b
Damn that thing loks like it's about 7 years old. Congratulations smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
Later
thomasotten
Hang on a minute.... it might just be the picture, but I sense a fiberglass-hidden hell hole. You might want to check and make sure we are looking at metal. My car had fiberglass patches ont it hiding the hell hole, and with the grease and grime, it hid the rust damage real well. Better check.
RangerRhett
QUOTE (thomasotten @ Jun 11 2005, 07:09 PM)
Hang on a minute.... it might just be the picture, but I sense a fiberglass-hidden hell hole. You might want to check and make sure we are looking at metal. My car had fiberglass patches ont it hiding the hell hole, and with the grease and grime, it hid the rust damage real well. Better check.

I suppose anything's possible. I was giving both sides a good poke with a screwdriver and it felt like metal.

I know that the cross member between the logitudinal pieces has been welded over at the jacking posts.
CptTripps
Get a quart of SILVER POR-15 and have at it...

I say silver because it has metal flakes in it that help fill in little crevices.

agree.gif Make sure you are dealing with METAL first though.
tat2dphreak
go at it with a brush on an angle grinder for peace of mind... but it looks good!
RangerRhett
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 11 2005, 08:26 PM)
Get a quart of SILVER POR-15 and have at it...

I say silver because it has metal flakes in it that help fill in little crevices.

agree.gif Make sure you are dealing with METAL first though.

I am about 98.34% sure it is metal. A magnet grabbed hold with NO hesitation, and you can se the original metal tab fabrications.

Looks Like I can treat it...
jd74914
QUOTE (tat2dphreak @ Jun 12 2005, 09:52 AM)
go at it with a brush on an angle grinder for peace of mind... but it looks good!

agree.gif

Try out one of those sort of braided wire wheels. It'll get rid of any rust, fiberglass, or paint. They pretty much get rid of anywhing but solid metal so you will know what you are dealing with 100% biggrin.gif

Also, with the POR15 follow the directions carefully for it to work best wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.