Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need advice- tips and tricks?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ottox914
What it says. Front bushings are gone. Have a kit to replace them. Need to remove arms to do this. Do I need to remove the strut housing or can I disconnect the ball joint easily enough?
Krieger
Disconnect the ball joint. There is either a single bolt or pin that holds the strut to the ball joint. Remove it.
Krieger
While your there check the condition of the ball joints.
toolguy
disconnect at ball joint. . either the spanner nut or the strut clamp will do. .

Spanner nut needs a fork socket or you beat the nut to death with a punch and chisel and may end up needing a new one. .

Pinch / wedge bolt is easy to remove but somewhat difficult to pull the ball joint shaft out from rust and other crud. . You can 'tap' a wedge into the strut clamp slot to help relieve clamping pressure but a pickle fork works best [ but most often tears the rubber ball seal] I was able to find a replacement rubber on EBay from Bulgeria but took 6 weeks to arrive.

From my experience, I'd go for the spanner nut. . if you tear the ball joint seal, you'll need to replace the cover at minimum or the entire ball joint. .
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.