Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1974 914-4 2.0 Exhaust/Muffler Upgrade
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jkampingafw
Just purchased a stock 1974-4 2.0. I simply want to add a new muffler system to make it louder and sound more aggressive. Which one is the loudest? Which one has the best tone?

I am looking at the following:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/PELS...PkaAp6BEALw_wcB

https://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/SuperC..._EXHPRF_pg1.htm

https://www.ecklers.com/porsche/1973-1974-p...YAaAopWEALw_wcB
troth
This one:
http://www.tangerineracing.com/tangerine_iv.htm
GeorgeRud
You might want to actually hear your desired muffler as the old style ‘factory sport’ type dual outlet mufflers get pretty loud and tiring. You could also try to add another outlet on the right side out your factory muffler (bull horn style) as another option.
rhodyguy
Pass on the quad tip. Save yourself some money and look for a used Bursch 4/2/1. You can swap the muffler out if needed.
TheCabinetmaker
I have the 421 that Rhody posted. I've changed muffler 4 times. If you really want loud, go glass pack. You'll hate it (and so will your neighbors).

Loud does not equal performance. Just noisy.
TheCabinetmaker
Oh yeah, that 4 tip Monza sounds like a fart can on an old beetle.
rhodyguy
Quite heavy too. Dependent on the make, the bottom of the tips can grind on steep slopes.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jun 16 2018, 01:23 PM) *

Oh yeah, that 4 tip Monza sounds like a fart can on an old beetle.

agree.gif

Personally, I think the 4 tip exhaust is ugly.
Geezer914
How about a Triad West Performance street muffler?
jcd914
QUOTE(Geezer914 @ Jun 16 2018, 04:29 PM) *

How about a Triad West Performance street muffler?

Triad has taken a break from production for a while to focus on family.

I always liked my Bursch with SSI heat exchangers but that was almost 20 years ago.
It does (or did) a raspy sound on decel that could bother some.
Others have replaced the Bursch muffler with something else and liked it.

Jim
Cairo94507
welcome.png Well you have started with a terrific year/model 914, so congratulations.

Before you do anything, please take the time to get to know the car and read all you can about the 914 on this forum. I would also post some pictures here of the entire car.

You may want to address some basic reliability issues before you start modifying for just personal preference. Fuel system, brakes, electrical, mechanical maintenance items, etc. beerchug.gif
EdwardBlume
agree.gif

welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
campbellcj
Welcome & congrats! welcome.png

I can tell you I've been down this road so many times. I've had several Porsches by now, and have put several different mufflers/exhausts on each one...

Never was a fan of the Bursch on either 914/4 or 911/914-6. For something in a similar design I'd lean towards Triad as noted above (but NLA new at this time). Either way I recommend ceramic-coating because regular paint will not hold-up.

Frankly I think the stock OE is a great choice for a relatively stock, streetable car. I was lucky to find a NOS Leistritz for the last stock 914/4 I had.
Cal
You want a SCART Super Sound exhaust. They're made in France and look like the factory OE banana style muffler for our 2.0L cars. They aren't cheap at $1,500.00....but the sound is pretty incredible. Here's a thread with several videos.....

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=281617&hl=

Here's another good video from a member here that installed one on his 2.0L.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vXNzR7L_FRY

Dave_Darling
Another option would be to eliminate the heating and use a proper set of headers. Tangerine Racing makes the best ones out there, but they aren't cheap. They will add noticeably to the power the engine makes, as opposed to just making the car sound different, which is about all most mufflers do.

--DD
rhodyguy
Add noticeably? Like how much for a stock 2.0?
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 18 2018, 03:13 PM) *

Like +10 hp & +10 lb-ft torque.
Triaddave
OT some, but Triad West is now back making exhausts. Some time is needed by me to catch up...up and running again.
ps. wife is still with us.
mepstein
QUOTE(Triaddave @ Jun 18 2018, 05:42 PM) *

OT some, but Triad West is now back making exhausts. Some time is needed by me to catch up...up and running again.

Great news all around.
Geezer914
Glad to hear your wife is doing well and your business is up and running. cheer.gif
914work
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 18 2018, 02:51 PM) *

Great news all around.

agree.gif
majkos1
QUOTE(914werke @ Jun 18 2018, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 18 2018, 02:51 PM) *

Great news all around.

agree.gif

agree.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif clap56.gif
brownaar
I still love my stainless muffler from Mittelmotor.
maf914
QUOTE(brownaar @ Jun 19 2018, 05:19 PM) *

From the Sierra Madre Collection website, Mittelmotor exhaust:

Not_A_Six
QUOTE(brownaar @ Jun 19 2018, 06:19 PM) *

It's about time to replace the Bursch on my '73 2.0. I'd like to go stainless. I'd like to still be married after I pay for one. biggrin.gif

Mittelmotor is at the top of my list. But, I'd love to hear one before buying, and I've seen reports that they're "heavy".

Any owners willing to post a sound video?

How heavy are these suckers?

Any alternatives anybody can recommend that aren't $$$$?

Thanks.
mepstein
Ben’s making these.
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(mepstein @ Aug 9 2019, 06:01 PM) *

Ben’s making these.

That looks really nice!

What's the price and lead time on them? unsure.gif

[Feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you don't want to answer here.]

BTW, thanks for setting me up with those heads a while ago. beerchug.gif
mb911
QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 9 2019, 05:21 PM) *

Ben’s making these.

That looks really nice!

I am going to make 3 or 4 of them over the next few week's.. So lead time is 3-4 weeks.
mepstein
QUOTE(Not_A_Six @ Aug 9 2019, 09:21 PM) *

Ben’s making these.

That looks really nice!

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=339789&hl=
Not_A_Six
QUOTE(mb911 @ Aug 9 2019, 06:34 PM) *

I am going to make 3 or 4 of them over the next few week's.. So lead time is 3-4 weeks.

Nice.

What gauge steel did you use?

How does the weight compare to other alternatives?

What does it sound like? (I gather from the other thread that this may not be known yet.) In that case, what do you expect it to sound like?
mb911
I use .040 and .049 304 stainless steel on all of our muffler products. All hand TIG welded. Sound level is near stock. I am running the same muffler on my -6 engine though different inlets of course and it is very quiet sounding and again stock sounding.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(troth @ Jun 16 2018, 10:33 AM) *

I imagine Chris can make a muffler as loud as you want but I have Mike Hydes old tangerine header and muffler hanging on the wall here and it wasn't loud at all. It sounded beefy, incredible tone up close but from 50 yards you could hardly hear it. My bug (T4 914 engine conversion) has a magnaflow that sounds like an open header, the drone drives me crazy and on a long haul hurts my ears enough I wear plugs. You can hear my bug engine from almost a mile away, I have to lug at 2K rpm through my village. I'm going to replace it soon when I have the time and coin.

BTW it's hanging on the wall because Mike smoked his engine and I bought his car, I just haven't found a proper home for it yet.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jun 18 2018, 04:03 PM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 18 2018, 03:13 PM) *

Like +10 hp & +10 lb-ft torque.

A quality header is the the only true bolt on HP.
10hp on a 2.0 sounds about right, I appreciate that Chris doesn't embellish his performance claims, but at the same time a 10% increase is a huge gain.
Cairo94507
Man, I remember running open headers on the street on my 302 powered 55 Chevy.....that may explain why I have hearing loss. The neighbors would give me dirty looks despite my trying to idle out of the neighborhood-mostly. Something to consider.
9fourteen14
Is it possible a company "refurbs" mufflers.

I am pretty sure the Leistritz is stock and probably popular.

i was wondering if someone can refurb the "BAFFLES" inside.

any comments/questions/suggestions pplease PM me.

thanx so much

74, 2.0
mepstein
I sell an all stainless steel sport muffler. $500
driving.gif mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.