Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What hubs for 'Big Brakes'
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CptTripps
I'm starting to gather parts for a 6 conversion, and I've got a line on some brakes and rotors, but I need the hubs. The brakes and rotors are off of a Turbo 996. I guess I just need the right hubs...right?

Tell me what I need here...and if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

BTW: Does $1,600 seem about right for 4 'big red' calipers, rotors, and new pads? The car only had 15-20K when it was totaled...
TravisNeff
Check Excellence, there is a porsche dealer in louisiana that sold big reds new for something like $269 each, new.

I don't know if those rotors will go on a 911 hub. Most people do the carerra rotors 24mm, or 930 or?? They may work, what do I know
Mueller
you need the correct struts, more than likely '84-'89 with the 3.5" spacing, the hubs are pretty much the same from '70 on up to '89

for that setup,I'm pretty sure the rotors slide over the hub (make sure you have enough room in the front since it'll move your rims out about 1/4" or so.)

the key part is finding the correct caliper adapters for the front and rear....those will cost about $400 or more for all 4

CptTripps
So I just need someone to help me shop for this stuff...

If I get these calipers and rotors, what do I need to get hub-wise, or anything-else-wise to make it work? I keep finding 968 and 928 calipers going pretty cheap...will either of these work?

I remember Joe had 2 spacers stacked on the outside for his rims...maybe I'll ask him to chime in...
Series9
I like this stuff: http://www.instant-g.com/Products/Brakes/9...96tt/index.html

You'll need 911 struts w/3.5" caliper mounting tabs.
Jeroen
What kind of motor and tires are you planning to run?
I drove a car today that had too much brakes (993tt f&r) and it sucked like no tomorrow
Lousy brake modulation and locking up the fronts
CptTripps
Joe: Thanks...That's the info I was looking for!

Jaron: The deeper I get into this, the more I think I want a 3.0-ish engine. There is also part of me that wants to look at dropping a WRX Subie motor in there...Jury is still out. I'm just SO sick of not being able to feel like I could stop the car on a dime. The 'lobster claws' have that appeal...
Aaron Cox
shoot! thats a TON of brake!

people say that the 986 (non S) calipers are a TON of brakes..... these 996 TT things must be way overkill ohmy.gif
jim912928
Doug....I've done alot of research on engines and I'm going for a 3.2 with stock motronic. Fits in the nicest and you get modern FI. The CIS engines take some work to fit if you keep the FI (like moving the engine lid latch). There are some threads in here that show 3.2 pics.

Also, I think there was a thread in here where someone fab'd and was selling front/rear adapters so you could fit boxster S brakes. I like that idea but you have to have the 3.5 spacing front end.

Also, here is a site that sells adapters/brake combo's... http://www.vehiclecraft.com/Brakes/vciweb4.htm

Jim
Dead Air
I don't know much about brakes but I searched the web for ya and found these...914 Club Store

wink.gif
QUOTE (CptTripps @ Jun 11 2005, 08:19 PM)
I'm starting to gather parts for a 6 conversion, and I've got a line on some brakes and rotors, but I need the hubs. The brakes and rotors are off of a Turbo 996. I guess I just need the right hubs...right?

Tell me what I need here...and if I'm barking up the wrong tree.

BTW: Does $1,600 seem about right for 4 'big red' calipers, rotors, and new pads? The car only had 15-20K when it was totaled...

To my knowledge, 'Big Reds' were on the 993 twins.
996 has a smaller red painter caliper - just for looks.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.