Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-4 1975 Rear Rotor Screw Stripped
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
briantrex
I am in the process of restoring my rear brakes. New calipers, new rotors. The rotors and calipers are shot and new ones are on the way. I'm trying to get the old rotors off and I've discovered a rotor attachment screw (one of two) on each rotor is stripped.

One of these on each rotor and the inside pad adjustment screw is stripped on both calipers.

Since I am ditching the rotors, can I just bore out the head of the screw, take the rotor off and then either wrench the screw out by the exposed shaft of the screw or, if all else fails, tap it out? I'm probably forgetting something but it seems like a plan...

Advice?

B T Rex
TheCabinetmaker
Drill the head off the screw to remove rotor, then remove the screw with some vice grips, if they don't just screw out by hand.
mepstein
QUOTE(briantrex @ Jun 16 2018, 05:34 PM) *

I am in the process of restoring my rear brakes. New calipers, new rotors. The rotors and calipers are shot and new ones are on the way. I'm trying to get the old rotors off and I've discovered a rotor attachment screw (one of two) on each rotor is stripped.

One of these on each rotor and the inside pad adjustment screw is stripped on both calipers.

Since I am ditching the rotors, can I just bore out the head of the screw, take the rotor off and then either wrench the screw out by the exposed shaft of the screw or, if all else fails, tap it out? I'm probably forgetting something but it seems like a plan...

Advice?

B T Rex

Yes, that method works fine but before you try to remove from the hub, heat the remains of the screw, red hot and while it's cooling, touch an old wax candle or use some penetrating oil. the heat will help to break the bond and the oil or wax will help it unscrew.
briantrex
Thanks Guys! I went right after them and got them in short order. Now I have to replace them. They seem like they're brass?
mepstein
I did not think it matters much. They just hold the rotor in place. Some anti seize might make it easier next time around.
Dave_Darling
The screws only hold the rotors to the hubs until the wheels are bolted on, then the bolts do all of the work and the screws are useless... Rumor has it that they were primarily there to keep the rotors from falling off on the assembly line.

--DD
rgalla9146

Originals are not brass.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.