Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 Front Bumper Guards
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdamiano
I want to replace my large front bumper guards with something smaller or remove them completely. Not important enough to spend a lot of money and I don’t want to drill any holes in my bumper. The I have a very complete and original car and any modifications have to be reversible. Anyone have any options they can share.
Mikey914
I’ve seen stainless carriage bolts in the holes after they’ve been removed.
mepstein
Remove the tits. Go to hardware store and buy some chrome or black plastic plugs. Easy and cheap. If you can’t find the right size plugs, a short bolt with a round head would probably work fine. Nut and washer on the inside of the bumper.
ConeDodger
Some have gotten the tits from the late 75-76 bumpers and bolted them on. They are direct bolt on from what I hear and are significantly smaller.
jcd914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 17 2018, 08:47 AM) *

Some have gotten the tits from the late 75-76 bumpers and bolted them on. They are direct bolt on from what I hear and are significantly smaller.

I don't think the 75/76 tits are direct bolt on, I think the studs are oriented 90 degrees off.
I think others have drilled new holes but both old and new holes are covered by either of the tits.

But I have early chrome bumpers without any holes for tits and have not researched it.

Jim
914sgofast2
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jun 17 2018, 08:20 AM) *

I want to replace my large front bumper guards with something smaller or remove them completely. Not important enough to spend a lot of money and I don’t want to drill any holes in my bumper. The I have a very complete and original car and any modifications have to be reversible. Anyone have any options they can share.

Take them off and put the chrome bumper bolts from a 1970 VW Bug in the holes. Worked great for me!
Porschef
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 17 2018, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 17 2018, 08:47 AM) *

I don't think the 75/76 tits are direct bolt on, I think the studs are oriented 90 degrees off.
I think others have drilled new holes but both old and new holes are covered by either of the tits.

But I have early chrome bumpers without any holes for tits and have not researched it.

Jim

No, they're not. They will require different holes, but the A cups will cover them. Sourcing them may be difficult, but I can't say for sure.
Tom_T
There's a company that advertises in Panorama, the Hemmings magazines, etc. Bumper Plugs dot com or something ingenious name like that which sells chrome or color plugs. Just google for them & order chromed ot painted to match your bumper.

SS ones would be the best bet, otherwise take off chromed steel occasionally to clean & wax them toe keep from getting rust runs on the bumper.

Cheapest, easiest & reversable.

HFD! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
shelby/914
Take a look at the pix posted my MAJKOS1 in the foglight thread currently on page 4. He used 75/6 rear tits on his '74. Don't think he drilled additional holes but I'm sure he would be glad to tell you.

Dan
branston
QUOTE(jdamiano @ Jun 17 2018, 11:20 AM) *

Took mine off and just bought black flush plugs from Lowes,

cost a couple of bucks, Looks great and a million times better than tits.
majkos1
QUOTE(shelby/914 @ Jun 17 2018, 09:46 PM) *

Take a look at the pix posted my MAJKOS1 in the foglight thread currently on page 4. He used 75/6 rear tits on his '74. Don't think he drilled additional holes but I'm sure he would be glad to tell you.

Dan

Yup! sunglasses.gif
Click to view attachment
Back view
Click to view attachment
majkos1
The other side..
Click to view attachment
jdamiano
Decided on the full Mastectomy. Everything came apart easy and the VW bumper bolts worked perfect. Thanks for the advice.Click to view attachment
JawjaPorsche
Took my tits off and got chrome caps from Home Depot. Caps work better than bolts because they are almost flush with the bumper for a cleaner look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.