Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DFW to Okteenerfest
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
bandjoey
Starting this thread to see who is going to Okteenerfest from DFW?

Clay and Betty are going and invited me to tag along (and try to keep me from getting lost). red914.jpg betty914.jpg

Who else is going?

michael7810
I’m driving from Phoenix and planning to meet up with Clay in Dallas.
Aircooledfool
I would love to go but that would require I have a running 914 sad.gif
ClayPerrine
Just so everyone knows....

We are leaving early on the 12th and making it a long first day. That way we can go to the museum at Barbor Motorsport Park on the 13th.

Also, we don't drive slow, and we don't stop a lot. Just for gas.

Lawrence, are we picking you up near Talledega??

IronHillRestorations
What's the route? I can be a stop over point, if that helps.
michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 18 2018, 03:36 AM) *

We are leaving early on the 12th and making it a long first day. That way we can go to the museum at Barbor Motorsport Park on the 13th.

I’ll hang on the best my 82 RWHP 1911cc can.
BENBRO02
QUOTE(Aircooledfool @ Jun 18 2018, 12:10 AM) *

I would love to go but that would require I have a running 914 sad.gif

Not true. My 914 wasn't running last year so I drove my MX-5. We had a great time but I'm look forward to this year in the 914.
Shadowfax
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jun 18 2018, 06:34 AM) *

Same here. I’m in Shreveport and can help out my DFW brothers and sisters in any way I can, even if y’all just want to stop for a beer or two beerchug.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Perry Kiehl @ Jun 18 2018, 06:34 AM) *

Thanks Perry.. but we are taking I20 from DFW to Atlanta. Turn north at Atlanta to Helen GA.

Simple route.

ClayPerrine
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jun 18 2018, 04:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 18 2018, 03:36 AM) *

I’ll hang on the best my 82 RWHP 1911cc can.

You won't be left behind.....
bandjoey
Jackson is about 1/2 way. 6.5 hrs non stop or Meridian another 1.5 hours.
Have to get my blow up donut for the seat driving.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jun 18 2018, 11:37 PM) *

Jackson is about 1/2 way. 6.5 hrs non stop or Meridian another 1.5 hours.
Have to get my blow up donut for the seat driving.gif

10 hours from our house to Barbour Motorsports Park Museum.

Another 3.5 to Helen, GA... not including time zone change.

So the second day driving is really easy.
ClayPerrine
Betty has been doing some research for the trip.

Livingston Alabama would make the first day 8 hours 18 minutes. 2 hours to Barber the next morning. Very limited choice of hotels, and places to eat.

Tuscaloosa Alabama would make the first day 9 hours. 1 hour 8 minutes to Barber the next morning. Much better choice of hotels.

Barber museum opens at 10:00.

If the other(s) are willing, we would like to stay the night in Tuscaloosa. That would mean we can sleep a little later before heading to Barber Motorsport Park. The museum is $15.00.

We figure to be back on the road a 1:30. With the time change we should be in Helen, GA around 6pm.

If anyone wants to join the caravan along the way, the more the merrier. Just let us know where to meet up with you.

driving-girl.gif driving.gif

bandjoey

I'm like that schedule if my butt holds out. With stops for gas and food about 10 hour day. My back up plan is to evaluate my bones somewhere around Meridian, about a 8.5 hour day with stops. That leaves about a 6.5 hour drive onto Helen the next day. Not saying I will but seat time for us old timers is not what it used to be.
michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2018, 03:58 AM) *

Betty has been doing some research for the trip.

Livingston Alabama would make the first day 8 hours 18 minutes. 2 hours to Barber the next morning. Very limited choice of hotels, and places to eat.

Tuscaloosa Alabama would make the first day 9 hours. 1 hour 8 minutes to Barber the next morning. Much better choice of hotels.

Barber museum opens at 10:00.

If the other(s) are willing, we would like to stay the night in Tuscaloosa. That would mean we can sleep a little later before heading to Barber Motorsport Park. The museum is $15.00.

We figure to be back on the road a 1:30. With the time change we should be in Helen, GA around 6pm.

If anyone wants to join the caravan along the way, the more the merrier. Just let us know where to meet up with you.

driving-girl.gif driving.gif

Tuscaloosa works for me. My plan is to spend the night in the DFW area; do you have recommended area that will make it easy for me to hook up with you in the morning? Thanks
bandjoey
Search Hurst, Bedford, a Euless Tx. 3 bedroom towns just west of DFW airport on hwy 183. Probably 20 motel stops in that area and close to a kickoff place.
ClayPerrine
Check this Link

We will be going through the 360/183 intersection on our way south to I20.

So anything close to that point, or follow 360 south.

There is a Motel6 close to that in Euless. $49 a night.

michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2018, 01:50 PM) *

Check this Link

Thanks
914four
Donna and I will plan on meeting you guys at Barber at 10 a.m.

The Museum is well worth the visit.

Kelvin
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 3 2018, 10:37 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 3 2018, 01:50 PM) *

Check this Link

Thanks

If you are coming in on I20, then it might be better to meet us at I20 and 360.

Here is a link to all the hotels in the area. If you come to 183 and 360, you will just have to backtrack to I 20 anyway.

Betty
Ok, Clay might be a 'Road Warrior', but I belong to the 'Why Make It Tougher Than It Needs To Be Club'. biggrin.gif I like to stop every couple of hours - plus we plan on having enough radios with us so every car gets one and we can all communicate on the road.

I've always made the joke that 914 people are like the Marines in that, 'we don't leave anybody behind'. I hate the thought of anybody driving alone anywhere along the route, so, how about this instead:

1) We've always made better time on road trips than Google Maps says we will - and we do NOT drive like maniacs on the highway!

2) From Bill and our neck of the woods (Bedford / Hurst TX) to Livingston AL is 560 miles (8 hours 17 minutes of driving), so a little over 9 hours of total time on the road including stops.

3) If we can get on the road by 8:00 a.m. in Livingston AL, then it's just under 2 hours to Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum which puts us there before 10:00 a.m. when they open.

4) If we leave the museum around 1:00 p.m.-ish, that puts us at the hotel in Helen GA around 6:00 p.m. local time (we change time zones at the GA border - ask Kelvin and Donna how we know that - we are still sorry about making you guys wait last year!) and registration closes at 7:00 p.m.

If the above sounds good, there are only two hotels in/around Livingston AL so perhaps check availability soonish?
ClayPerrine
Betty just checked... there are only 5 rooms left in the Comfort Inn.

Betty
QUOTE(914four @ Jul 4 2018, 07:02 AM) *

Donna and I will plan on meeting you guys at Barber at 10 a.m.

The Museum is well worth the visit.

Kelvin

Sounds like we've got us a party already started with teeners gathering at the museum! aktion035.gif Can't wait to see you guys!!! grouphug.gif
michael7810
piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif Made reservations for Tues night at the Motel6 in Euless, TX and Wed night at the Choice Hotel in Livingston, AL. Now I'm going to go install my new Odyssey Battery and PMS mount bracket and cover her up until September.
ClayPerrine
Just made reservations at the Comfort inn in Livingston.

Address is 141 Trucker Blvd. Livingston, Alabama. 35470

bandjoey
livingston booked
ClayPerrine
Where do you want to meet up? I suggest either the Motel6 parking lot (hard to get back to 360 from there) or FAA road just south of 183 on 360.

Clay
michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 5 2018, 03:58 PM) *

Where do you want to meet up? I suggest either the Motel6 parking lot (hard to get back to 360 from there) or FAA road just south of 183 on 360.

Clay

Obviously the Motel 6 would be easier for me but I’m not familiar with the area so you name the place and as long as Google Maps can find it I’ll be there
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 5 2018, 06:36 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 5 2018, 03:58 PM) *

Clay

Obviously the Motel 6 would be easier for me but I’m not familiar with the area so you name the place and as long as Google Maps can find it I’ll be there

We can meet at Motel 6.
We will decide the time later.

914four
QUOTE(Betty @ Jul 4 2018, 08:52 AM) *

Ok, Clay might be a 'Road Warrior', but I belong to the 'Why Make It Tougher Than It Needs To Be Club'.

3) If we can get on the road by 8:00 a.m. in Livingston AL, then it's just under 2 hours to Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum which puts us there before 10:00 a.m. when they open.

We have something special set up for Barbers.

Darcy Schofill, the Alabama Region PCA president has helped to arranged a special tour of Barber Mortorsports Museum at 10 a.m. September 13th. This is something Barbers has done for the Alabama Region in the past and is a really special tour.

Kelvin

Betty
[/quote]

We have something special set up for Barbers.

Darcy Schofill, the Alabama Region PCA president has helped to arranged a special tour of Barber Mortorsports Museum at 10 a.m. September 13th. This is something Barbers has done for the Alabama Region in the past and is a really special tour.

Kelvin
[/quote]

Holy cow Kelvin! We have got the hook-up from the man with the connections! This is going to be SO much fun! cheer.gif first.gif piratenanner.gif
ClayPerrine
Betty and I have been looking for a unique way to celebrate 400,000 miles on her 914.

We found this and wanted to bring it to Okteenerfest.

IPB Image

Unfortunately, it is bottled in Westchester, NY, and it is not available in Texas.

screwy.gif sad.gif

Still The One Distillery

idea.gif If someone going to Okteenerfest from that area can pick up a bottle of it, we would be eternally grateful.

piratenanner.gif drunk.gif

Literati914
You guys do know about the speed trap parish of Monroe, LA - right? I suggest sticking to posted speeds thru there. Ask me how I know.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 6 2018, 10:14 PM) *

Betty and I have been looking for a unique way to celebrate 400,000 miles on her 914.

IPB Image

Unfortunately, it is bottled in Westchester, NY, and it is not available in Texas.

screwy.gif sad.gif

Still The One Distillery

idea.gif If someone going to Okteenerfest from that area can pick up a bottle of it, we would be eternally grateful.

I am serious about this. Betty's car is about to turn over 399,000 miles. We are estimating it will clear 400,000 on the way to Helen, GA. If someone will get a bottle of this, I will happily pay them for it!!

michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 11 2018, 07:49 PM) *

IPB Image

screwy.gif sad.gif

Still The One Distillery

I am serious about this. Betty's car is about to turn over 399,000 miles. We are estimating it will clear 400,000 on the way to Helen, GA. If someone will get a bottle of this, I will happily pay them for it!!

Hmmm. They won't ship to AZ either. I'll see if a local liquor store can order it and let you know.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Jul 11 2018, 10:10 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 11 2018, 07:49 PM) *

IPB Image

screwy.gif sad.gif

Still The One Distillery

Hmmm. They won't ship to AZ either. I'll see if a local liquor store can order it and let you know.

Sorry.. I meant to post this in the Okteenerfest thread. I wasn't expecting you to be able to get it. It is made in New York.

Thanks for trying though!

ClayPerrine
For the trip home, anyone have a preference on where to stop?

1. Long first day, short second day?
2. Split it equally.
3. Short first day, long second day?

michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 20 2018, 07:49 PM) *

For the trip home, anyone have a preference on where to stop?

1. Long first day, short second day?
2. Split it equally.
3. Short first day, long second day?

I'm following you so no real preference as to where we stop...since I'll have another 1K miles to drive after DFW I think either split or long first day would work better for me.
ClayPerrine
Bumping this...

Bill.. do you have a preference on where to stop?
bandjoey
I'm heading to Savannah so won't enjoy the company coming home. College senior drop in visit. If I can make it to Helen it'll be a snap getting home.
ClayPerrine
We were thinking of stopping in Vicksburg, MS. On the way back. That makes for a 7.5 hour first day, and a 5 hour second day for us.
You can keep going after we split off for home.

We can even make the first day longer if it will help you. But 8 hours in a 914 is a long day.

Will that work for you?
Rusty
Mmmm... Talladega. ar15.gif
michael7810
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Aug 12 2018, 08:31 PM) *

We were thinking of stopping in Vicksburg, MS. On the way back. That makes for a 7.5 hour first day, and a 5 hour second day for us.
You can keep going after we split off for home.

We can even make the first day longer if it will help you. But 8 hours in a 914 is a long day.

Will that work for you?

That works for me. LMK what hotel y’all are booking. Thanks
ClayPerrine
We will be booking a room at the Econo Lodge in Vicksburg tonight.

michael7810
Booked EconLogde for Sunday night. Have to ask-did you choose this hotel because it’s on Clay St?
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(michael7810 @ Aug 14 2018, 02:46 PM) *

Booked EconLogde for Sunday night. Have to ask-did you choose this hotel because it’s on Clay St?

Nope. It was highly rated and inexpensive. But the street name does make it easier to remember.

ClayPerrine
My wife wants me to bump this thread, and let you guys know that we will have an SUV pulling the trailer, so if you want to put some stuff in it to go to Helen, we can accommodate you.

icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif icon_bump.gif

If Betty gets more excited, she is going to explode!!!! w00t.gif w00t2.gif w00t1.gif Jumpy.gif blowup.gif betty914.jpg
Betty
Also don't forget to bring folding chairs. beerchug.gif
michael7810
Rain-Xed my windshield today and packed plenty of drying towels and a chair. I’m ready. Stopping in El Paso Monday night. See you Wed morning.
bandjoey
Happy Trails. C u Wednesday
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.