Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another Newbie question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
l84ttym
Just drove the car at night for the first time, no instrumentation lighting with the exception of the headlight knob. Do I have to pop the horn and get behind the dash to check out this problem? I can't find any reference to fuses in regards to instrumentation in the reference book I borrowed from a friend. I suppose the bulbs could be burned out and I also assume each guage and dash knob has it's own bulb or several in the case of the guages.

Electronically challenged, I remain. headbang.gif
ClayPerrine
Did you try adjusting the insturment dimmer? These are 30+ year old cars, and most of the time the dimmer is worn out. The dimmer may be sitting on a bad spot causing the lights to be out. I know Betty's 74 will do that. Turn the dimmer and the lights flicker as they dim. Just twist the headlight knob gently and see if they come on.

There is no separate fuse for the insturment lights. On the headlight switch there is a black with blue striped wire that is the power for the insturment lights. You can bypass the dimmer by tying the insturment lights into the park light circuit.
anderssj
The switch is a good palce to start.

You may also want to see if the instrument llights have a good ground--but I can't remember if they all share a common ground our not . . . I'll see what I find when I'm working on mine later today.

Good luck
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (anderssj @ Jun 12 2005, 06:49 AM)
The switch is a good palce to start.

You may also want to see if the instrument llights have a good ground--but I can't remember if they all share a common ground our not . . . I'll see what I find when I'm working on mine later today.

Good luck

The instrument lights in the gauges share a common ground with the gauges. If the gauges are working fine, then the ground is not the problem. But it's always a good idea to clean the grounds up on these cars.

ein 6er
Electronically challenged, I remain.

i'm with you!!

it's possibly the rheostat in the switch. replace the switch or there is a headlight switch tech article on pelican that may help.
l84ttym
I did try the dimmer before, albeit not gently, but still got nothing. I thought it was weird that I had a light on the headlight knob but nothing else. I suppose that is to be expected with a car that old. I'll pop the dash this afternoon and check this stuff out.

Thanks for the help!

redshift
Heya, and welcome.

Lots of guitar players here, you are in bad company.

smile.gif

Miles
bd1308
wait there is supposed to be a headlight light on the knob?????
mistro
same question... is the headlight knob, illuminated? It's the only one on mine that is not! Rgds, Michael
ClayPerrine
There is a little tiny bulb in the headlight switch. Just remove the plastic insert that is in the center of the knob and you will see it. Most of them are burnt out, and the current owners don't know they are supposed to be there.

Easy way to see it. Unscrew the knob from the switch and take it out. Get a new bulb from FLAPS.
l84ttym
Okay....I tried the dimmer switch again and Clay is right......gently is the key word. I do have instrument lights but the moons and the switch have to be just in the right position.

Thanks for the help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.