Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flatbed ride home
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Part Pricer

You all know that I have a problem. But, now my 914 has a problem as well. I have an idea of what it may be, but I’ll leave my diagnosis to myself and see what the opinions here may be.

Yesterday, I was out for a drive. Early on, the car was performing well. However, on my way back the car started acting up. I was about an hour away from home and I was coming west on route 84. 84 is a major highway that cuts across the state that has many undulations. When I was driving on flat surfaces or downhill all seemed fine. However, when climbing an uphill section is when the problems started and got worse.

At first on an uphill, I noticed that the engine was revving higher than normal. Throttle response was fine, but I had to give it a little more than usual to get up the hills. Then, it got worse. Luckily there are slow traffic lanes on the uphills so I was out of the way of traffic.

It finally got to the point where although the engine was responding to the throttle, the power wasn’t getting to the rear wheels. So, I pulled over, got out my cell phone and AAA card and waited for my flatbed ride home.

You make the call, What’s my fucking problem? smile.gif

redshift
idea.gif

The rubberband slipped off the Habitrails wheel.

M
kenporacer
clutch slipping? Time for anew?
Verruckt
clutch disk/pressure plate? Or maybe just a simple adjustment.

When this was going on, did you notice any earthy aromas?
Part Pricer

OK. That's two votes clutch, one vote gerbil malfunction.
Part Pricer
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 12 2005, 09:36 AM)

Yes, slight but not overwhelming smell.
Verruckt
QUOTE (Paul Heery @ Jun 12 2005, 07:38 AM)
QUOTE (Verruckt @ Jun 12 2005, 09:36 AM)

Yes, slight but not overwhelming smell.

im certainly no expert on these teeners, but in all my domestic iron hotrod days, it was generally caused by a bad disk, bad pressure plate, or an out of adjustment. I would try the adjustment before you go tearing everything apart.

Is there no slipping at all on flat pavement ? It's just when you "get into it", and going uphill?
Rotary'14
Sounds like a plugged fuel filter to me,, did you look at it? burnout.gif
Joe Bob
Have you tried it since it has cooled down? Have ya looked underneath for oil leaks?

MY guess, oil soaked disc.
redshift
Has to be if he didn't smell anything overwhelming, and didn't mention any shuuushing..

smile.gif

M
Joe Bob
Look on the bright side....now you can clean up the engine bay and check for rust or put in that chassis stiffening kit ya always wanted....
mharrison
I vote for the clutch as well. EXACT same behaviour I had in a 5-speed Supra.
Part Pricer

OK, you are going down the same path as me.

I thought about an oil-soaked disk. However, I topped off the oil level before I went out and checked it again while I was waiting for the tow truck. The level was the same. I also checked this morning. Nothing under the car in the garage and oil level is normal.

When I got the car home (the ride on the flatbed wasn't too long}, I tried to drive the car into the garage. I thought that it may respond a little differently after it had a chance to cool a bit. No luck. From a standing start in first gear the car barely moved at 5,000 rpm.

I haven't checked the fuel filter yet. idea.gif biggrin.gif
redshift
no disc noise? shhhussshhhhh....

Uhoh... ohmy.gif ... I bet you didn't check your tranny oil...

M
jim912928
Step on the brakes, put it in gear (brakes still on), slowly let out the clutch (brakes still on)...if the car doesn't die but you can rev it and it doesn't really try to go....clutch is slipping. Now, the question is what caused the clutch to fail if that is it? Old and just worn out or oil soaked? In any case if that is the symptom you are pulling it out and then you will be able to visually determine why.

I'd also try adjusting the clutch out to see if it makes a difference (if it isn't already adjusted out to the max)...if that changes things (even slightly) you have your answer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.