Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anybody done a corvair conversion?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwalters
biggrin.gif What is up smellas? Making progress on Black Sabbath once again--first dry morning, or day for thst matter in over a month. We have been getting hammered with rain here in SoFl.

??? Has anybody here done a corvair conversion? I am just wondering cause I thought it really cool. I came across a corvair website and these dudes have over 240 hp from a N/A motor on a routine basis-----

Anybody??
bd1308
i thought they spun backwards or something and couldn't be used.....i bet i could get a corvair part way easier than a porsche' part here in KY.....
redshift
Go to search... type in Corvair... topic yesterday, and Dr. Mike Evil has a rev cam.

M
jwalters
biggrin.gif Nah, they make a really neat reverse cam for it to correct this--I did not know it, but apparently you can go down to chev and order a brand new corvair motor! All stock tho, and prolly sitting around for god knows how long, but cool nontheless!
scotty b
wink.gif So where are the freakin pica you muther fudger? flipa.gif You still got that lift kit on so you can navigate the flooded streets?
bd1308
i'm in......i'll look for corvair motors this week...do they have a fix for the crazy-assed pully fan system that caused the belts to slip and fall off the pulleys?
scotty b
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 12 2005, 06:55 AM)
i'm in......i'll look for corvair motors this week...do they have a fix for the crazy-assed pully fan system that caused the belts to slip and fall off the pulleys?

So how's that 1.7 running Britt????? FOCUS Brittason FOCUS!
bd1308
it's been raining for 2 days....i bought a tarp. pics later. endplay on flywheel is .006 when xsboost measured it yesterday. clutch change took forever as the clutch plate kept moving.
Bleyseng
Just flip the diff and then install the corvair motor.....

Where is this website? 240NA? sheesh, I couldve used that hp back in the day.. Hmm, maybe not as we were always rebuilding the 4 speeds even with the stockish motors. sad.gif
bd1308
link?
Aaron Cox
Dr Evil has a modded corvair motor rady to go

type 1 barrels, close to 3L he said. Its 4sale BTW.
had tons of machine work and all

mikey - just a plug for your motor smile.gif
Aaron Cox
oh...and no need for a reverse cam. find a 911 trans.... 5 fwd gears
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 12 2005, 10:55 AM)
do they have a fix for the crazy-assed pully fan system that caused the belts to slip and fall off the pulleys?

BTW, the diff is facing the wrong way in a stock 914 transaxle anyway, at least from an engineering strength perspective.

I run a Corvair Conversion fan cooling on my race car engine. The belt never slips off, even from an over-rev.

Well... it used to, until I had a custom pulley made for the crankshaft with the same vee as the fan pulley. Of course, my belt is a lot shorter than the original used in Corvairs, since my fan is cut down to fit on a T4. smile.gif
BIGKAT_83
There's a super nice one at Auto Atlanta with 911 webers and a sheridan body kit Sold on ebay a couple of years ago and has been sitting at AA since

smile.gif Bob
914gem
I've got a 65 turbo corvair engine up for grabs, less turbo.
BIGKAT_83
Check this out a corvair with Porsche engine and all wheel drive running gear.user posted imageuser posted image

confused24.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Aaron Cox @ Jun 12 2005, 10:23 AM)
oh...and no need for a reverse cam. find a 911 trans.... 5 fwd gears

Bad Idea!! slap.gif

If you do that, you are spinning all the gears in the trans the wrong way. That reverses all the thrust surfaces, some of which aren't designed for long term running. You risk failure of the transmission due to improper lubrication of the transmission internals.

Capt'n Crusty! Paging Capt'n Crusty!! I need some backup here!!!

Get the reverse rotation cam for the Corvair engine. Your transmission will thank you in the long run.

Dr Evil
I think this is becoming a weekly topic. Someone asked this question last week or so and I replied there. Basically:
It is easy
It is cheap
There is a cam to make the engine turn the correct way
I have an adaptor
I have one that is boared out to a 3.2
it is for sale

PM me if you want to buy it wink.gif
Do a search for corvair and you will find out a bunch more info. It really is a unique, inexpensive, fairly easy conversion. If you know where to buy parts and find info, it helps.

As for reliability issues, they constantly use corvair engines as powerplants for experimental aircraft.
Dr Evil
Clay,
Is not a 911 901 tranny the same as a 914 901 with the diff flipped? After rebuilding a few trannies with Red-Beard, I have seen no difference other thatn the flipped diff.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2005, 03:08 PM)
If you do that, you are spinning all the gears in the trans the wrong way.

Not so.
All the gears will still turn the correct direction, or the car wouldn't go forward in 5 gears.
Running the engine counterclockwise with a flipped diff will make the tranny operate correctly and the case will be able to handle more horsepower as well .
Dead Air
Aquick google search brought this up...Finally.
This fella seems to know what he's talking about.
I'm gonna bookmark it for my next teener...corvair info
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 12 2005, 02:23 PM)
Clay,
Is not a 911 901 tranny the same as a 914 901 with the diff flipped? After rebuilding a few trannies with Red-Beard, I have seen no difference other thatn the flipped diff.

The gears in a 901/914 transmission are helical cut gears (other than reverse). That means they are designed with angled teeth. Because of the angled teeth, one gear will tend to try to climb the other. Each gear pushes against the stack, and the end gear pushes against a "thrust surface". When you reverse the rotation of the engine, you reverse the rotation of the gear stack. So now the gears will climb up in the opposite direction, and push against a completely different surface that is not designed as a "thrust surface". Even with the tranny in reverse, you don't change the direction of the gear rotation, only the output shaft changes direction, and only at low speeds.

When you flip the ring and pinion, you just change the direction the output flanges and halfshafts turn, not the whole transmission innards.

Again, IF YOU PUT A MOTOR THAT TURNS THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION AGAINST A 901 TRANSMISSION, YOU RISK PREMATURE FAILURE OF THE TRANSMISSION.

If you want to do it right, change the cam in the corvair motor for a reverse rotation cam. If it was not necessary, why would someone make one???? confused24.gif

ChrisFoley
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2005, 06:32 PM)
When you flip the ring and pinion, you just change the direction the output flanges and halfshafts turn, not the whole transmission innards.

Oh yeah. pray.gif
914rrr
That Corv-Porsche is SICK! I always thought it would be cool to drop a 911 in a stock looking VW 412 4 door. Ultimate sleeper!
Dr Evil
Oh ya, duh. I was thinking the same as Chris.

My engine is completely rebuilt needing only assembly. It has new bearings, valve guides, stainless valves, TI 2.0 p/c with rings, rods reworked to use VW pistons, crank polished, reverse cam, dizzy, and oil pump gear, high volume oil pump, and much, much more biggrin.gif

All for $1500! The machine work to use the VW stuff cost this much alone. And, it assembles like a TIV. Any takers before I list it on craig's list?
neo914-6
There is a member, dbcorvairracer who was working on one, see the "list"...

Do a search, I'm too lazy right now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.