Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Video evidence of the 914 turbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
airsix
I was editing home videos of my kids yesterday and found this clip I had made last year for the group. Never got around to posting it because I always thought I'd make a better one but never got around to it. This is a run through the gears at 8psi with short-shifts at 5,000rpm due to injector saturation. But it gives you the general idea. I haven't worked on the car since September of last year (just too darn busy), but plan to install the intercooler and larger injectors later this summer when I get some other projects finished up.

Here's the VIDEO.

-Ben M.
seanery
clap.gif clap.gif
bd1308
that SOUNDS so awesome.....i think i messed something up on the mac, bc i have no video....but it sounds amazing. Would you care to share what you did?
Eric Taylor
Britt - Have you downloaded the latest Windows media player? Works fine on my powerbook.
Eric
ematulac
Whoooosh! biggrin.gif

Hey Ben, did you ever get around to posting pics of your intake plumbing? I've been dying to see how you did it!

airsix
QUOTE (ematulac @ Jun 12 2005, 10:41 AM)
Whoooosh! biggrin.gif

Hey Ben, did you ever get around to posting pics of your intake plumbing? I've been dying to see how you did it!

Sorry, no pictures of the intake until I clean it up. You'll see it eventually though.
-Ben M.
airsix
QUOTE (bd1308 @ Jun 12 2005, 07:27 AM)
....but it sounds amazing. Would you care to share what you did?

Thanks Britt,
You can see some pics and comentary in my Blog. A few years ago I installed the programable ECU (injection + ignition) when my D-jet crapped out for the umpteenth time. The plan was to learn about digital engine management using my typeIV as a test mule. I planned to use the same ecu when I converted to a six. The ECU was an inexpensive model from PerfectPower and the total cost to get on the road was $500-$600 (this was a few years before the turbo). I drove the car with digital ECU for a couple of years as my daily driver.
Along the way I picked up a small IHI turbo off a 1.8L Subaru but never did anything with it. Last September I decided the six was not going to happen for at least a couple more years so I dug the turbo parts out from under the workbench. I just couldn't stand 80hp any longer. So I started cutting and welding and in two Saturdays it was drivable. The reason the install went so quickly was because I kept the exhaust real simple. Shorter pipes would be better, but I was going for the Keep It Simple approach. Cost for all the turbo-related equipment was $175 + my labor.
The Subaru injectors I used saturate at around 5,000rpm, but below that the ECU maintains perfect mixture and I continued to drive the car daily until early November when I had to get a 4-seater for work. At that point I put the car up and have only driven it about once per month since then due to other obligations. My plan is to re-do the intake and add the intercooler later this summer along with bigger injectors. I'd also like to add an external oil cooler and fresh paint before WCC'06.

I've been criticized for my cheapness, but it doesn't bother me. I'm young and raising a family. I'm spending/saving my real money on/for other more important things. Someday I'll start dumping serious time and money into cars but now is not the time.

-Ben M.
ClayPerrine
Dude... your car FARTS!!!!! lol2.gif

Seriously.. Real cool!!! smilie_pokal.gif
airsix
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2005, 02:51 PM)
Dude... your car FARTS!!!!! lol2.gif

Seriously.. Real cool!!! smilie_pokal.gif

laugh.gif That's funny Clay. Thanks. Your car is much cooler though.
-Ben M.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE (airsix @ Jun 12 2005, 04:53 PM)
QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jun 12 2005, 02:51 PM)
Dude... your car FARTS!!!!!       lol2.gif

Seriously..  Real cool!!!    :trophy:

laugh.gif That's funny Clay. Thanks. Your car is much cooler though.
-Ben M.

Nope. I disagree. All I can do is WORK on my 914. You actually get to drive yours......
Lou W
Sounds Great smilie_pokal.gif
Jeroen
waaaaaaay cool!
clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif clap.gif
redshift
.. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Ffffffft... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........ ffffffffft..

Awsome.

smile.gif

M
bd1308
Ben i'm seriously way interested. I'll PM you in a bit.
Andyrew
Good boy... Kept it under 100.... cool.gif

Sounds sick!

Andrew
airsix
QUOTE (Andyrew @ Jun 12 2005, 06:17 PM)
Good boy... Kept it under 100.... cool.gif

Sounds sick!

Andrew

Ok, hopefully "sick" means strong, like "bad" means good. huh.gif

And I would absolutely never ever go over 100mph on a public road

...with the camera on.

-Ben M.

ps- To date the 914-turbo is exactly 19mph slower than my M3 (the limiting factor right now being the injectors). I'm not going to quit until the 914 is faster or it dies trying. happy11.gif If I blow up the 1.7 it just means I'll get the six done sooner.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.