Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Leather steering wheel or leatherette?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Air_Cooled_Nut
My car came with the Comfort option package, basically, and it would seem some other options. I'm trying to determine whether the steering wheel is wrapped in leather or pleather. I would say leather but looking at the picture in the book I have by Brian Long it could be the fake leather. So how does one figure out whether the steering wheel wrapper is leather or leatherette?
smg914
The window sticker from my 1973 914 shows it has a "Leatherette Covered Steering Wheel". I believe some of the early 914's had optional leather wheels but it looks like somewhere around 1973 they went to leatherette.
jd74914
The wheel could have also been recovered at sometime over its 30 year life. So it may be leather.
davep
804.10 is the hard plastic
805.11 is supposed to be leather, but may be leatherette from late 72
809.00 is a foam covered wheel
Air_Cooled_Nut
Okay, I appreciate the info but I already know all that. What I need to know is how to figure out by looking/feeling/sniffing/whatever the wrap whether it's leather or leatherette idea.gif
lotus_65
my '74 looks pretty original. the cover looks like leather to me, and it's got a great patina. it's a little loose and the thread (looks like nylon) is frayed.
maybe i recall that in the early 70's, some marketers might have considered "letherette" to be more sellable.

i think mine is original, and it's leather.
lotus_65
pic
smg914
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Jun 12 2005, 07:34 PM)
my '74 looks pretty original. the cover looks like leather to me, and it's got a great patina. it's a little loose and the thread (looks like nylon) is frayed.
maybe i recall that in the early 70's, some marketers might have considered "letherette" to be more sellable.

i think mine is original, and it's leather.

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are describing.....Do you realize your steering wheel has an aftermarket steering wheel cover on it? Obviously a previous owner added that cover to the wheel. If you remove it you will find the factory leatherette cover or possibly no cover at all.
lotus_65
QUOTE (lotus_65 @ Jun 12 2005, 07:34 PM)

Unless I'm misinterpreting what you are describing.....Do you realize your steering wheel has an aftermarket steering wheel cover on it?  Obviously a privious owner added that cover to the wheel. If you remove it you will find the factory leatherette cover or possibly no cover at all.

...could be. the po musta made a good choice then! wink.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
What it looks like from afar:
Air_Cooled_Nut
Looks really nice. But those crackly crinkles look very similar to the ones I see on the driver's arm rest huh.gif
Air_Cooled_Nut
When taking a picture of the backside of the steering wheel I noticed the seam running around the circumference of the steering wheel wrap sad.gif Well, case solved, it's not leather because leather would be a solid piece of material with the only seam being where it's stitched to the steering wheel. Rats! Oh well, it looks and feels good rolleyes.gif
Rand
Ok, so you don't have to resort to the match test (the one where you hold a match under it and see if it melts a hole in it or smells like steak). biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.