Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift rod for /6
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PanelBilly
I have a /4 shift rod that matches a sleeve in the transmission housing very nicely. I’m wondering if I can cut both ends off and weld on a straight pipe
McMark
Yup. I've used electrical conduit with good results. 1/2" IIRC.

As with any fabrication, tack weld first, test fit, then final weld.
Dave_Darling
Build a jig first, so that the ends are held in precise alignment. That will save you a lot of headache...

--DD
TravisNeff
I am going to give this a try, but with a twist. I am going to try to use my tail shift rod instead of the side shift rod. I have my leftover 915 shifter as I replaced that on the 911 with a rennshifter. Maybe it will work?

Otherwise I will take a stab at my side shift rod and see what I can do.
rgalla9146
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 20 2018, 01:32 PM) *

I have a /4 shift rod that matches a sleeve in the transmission housing very nicely. I’m wondering if I can cut both ends off and weld on a straight pipe

Here you go.
Side shift ends, rear shift center section.
I cut and rotated the center section to create offset.
Also, take Daves advise and do the job using a jig.
worn
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 20 2018, 11:09 AM) *

Build a jig first, so that the ends are held in precise alignment. That will save you a lot of headache...

--DD

agree.gif
I cut pie s ections out at each. End to allow m e to bend the rod more. Easily. After determining that it worked I welded in the slots.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.