Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad oil leak... DE in 2 weeks
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
yarin
I bought this car a month and a half ago, as a race car with 2 engines, 2 trannies, 2 exhausts, etc etc. I swapped in the "good race" motor being told it was just rebuilt, case split, heads done, dynoed, ready to go. So I finally get everything hooked up, start it up, timing is perfect, but it drips oil. The pushrod seals look ok, its not the drain plug, bottom sump area, the other plate.

The leak is coming from higher up. The cooling fins on the cylinders are wet. Most of the drip is from the drivers side of the engine. There is drip on the shift bar, random spots on the oil pan, and a few other places.

I have a drivers ed event at limerock with Jersey PCA and haven't gotten the car inspected yet. I have till tuesday to cancel. I don't have time to drop the engine again and tear it apart. Do I cancel? You can see how bad the leak is in the last picture, moving slowly backing out of the garage, then back and forth a few times.

Please advise. Thanks

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
yarin
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

As you can see the cooling fins on the cylinders are wet. So it can't be the pushrod seals. What do you guys think?

I just wiped the drips, put down clean paper towel under the car and ran the car for about 5 minutes with the rear jacked up. I saw about 4-5 different spots on it. A little bit of smoke off an exhaust header. The biggest drip seems to be from the drivers side, in between the two sets of pushrods, coming off the cooling tin. That drips down onto the shift bar.

The engine didn't drip much of anything until i started it up and warmed it up.

Thanks!
Joe Bob
Oil cooler seals?
brp914
1. from the dip stick - there is a tube pressed into the case that can become dislodged.

2. from where the thermostat pulley is (or should be)

3. oil filler housing

4. oil pressure switch. dont get the hecho in mexico pos - get it from porsche and then put epoxy where the plastic meets the metal body.

if not these things I think your motor is coming down. good luck

btw - I always used to have a leak from the front. thought it was the front main seal, but no. there should be a oring behind the fan hub (not included w/ engine gasket sets)
Brett W
I would replace the rear main seal and check the galley plugs. The heads are leaking under combustion pressures. I would guess the cylinders or heads are not flat. I would also check the oil pressure sending unit as someone mentioned earlier. You can probably check the head bolts, there may not be any sealer underneath the washers, thus causing a leak.
SirAndy
QUOTE (brp914 @ Jun 12 2005, 11:59 AM)

agree.gif common mistake when the thermostat is removed.
the bolt that holds the pulley (plastic wheel) goes *through* the case.
if removed, you'll get a nice oil-leak, just like yours ...

cool.gif Andy
9144guy
you can see the pulley is installed, 4 pics up from bottom
machina
my car won't run if its not barfing oil from somewhere, that's how it marks its territory. monkeydance.gif
9144guy
LOL
Series9
QUOTE (brp914 @ Jun 12 2005, 11:59 AM)
1. from the dip stick - there is a tube pressed into the case that can become dislodged.

3. oil filler housing

4. oil pressure switch. dont get the hecho in mexico pos - get it from porsche and then put epoxy where the plastic meets the metal body.

if not these things I think your motor is coming down. good luck

btw - I always used to have a leak from the front. thought it was the front main seal, but no. there should be a oring behind the fan hub (not included w/ engine gasket sets)

agree.gif and add what Z said about the oil cooler seals.

You have a what is likely a single leak that is blowing oil all over, so think about places where oil could be made airborne by the cooling fan.
SirAndy
QUOTE (9144guy @ Jun 12 2005, 05:41 PM)

geee, gotta turn up the brightness on my monitor, couldn't see the pulley in that pic at all ...

dry.gif Andy
yarin
One thing just struck me about the leak. The crankcase vent (overflow into catch can) has a plastic cap on it. Could this cause oil to leak from various places?

1. i will check the dipstick tube

2. the thermo pully is there, but i would like to hook it up properly

3. will check the oil filler housing

4. the oil pressure switch is mounted without plumbers tape, a seal or sealant. i checked around in there and didn't see anything wet, but it is a tight space.

I'll check on these things tommorow.. thanks for your help guys! beerchug.gif
Series9
QUOTE (yarin @ Jun 12 2005, 07:48 PM)
One thing just struck me about the leak. The crankcase vent (overflow into catch can) has a plastic cap on it. Could this cause oil to leak from various places?

Are you kidding? If the case doesn't have a vent, that's your problem. An unvented engine will puke oil from every seal.
SirAndy
QUOTE (914RS @ Jun 12 2005, 07:55 PM)
Are you kidding? If the case doesn't have a vent, that's your problem. An unvented engine will puke oil from every seal.

agree.gif especially a race engine!

gotta get yourself a puke bottle and hook up the head vents and the oil-filler vent.
some guys have had trouble with breather-boxes, but mine has held up perfectly for two AXs now.

no oil-splatter in the engine bay, all stayed nice and dry so far ...
wink.gif Andy
Allan
QUOTE (SirAndy @ Jun 12 2005, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (9144guy @ Jun 12 2005, 05:41 PM)

geee, gotta turn up the brightness on my monitor, couldn't see the pulley in that pic at all ...

dry.gif Andy

agree.gif I didn't see the pulley either??? confused24.gif
yarin
Whoopsies..

I figured if the crankcase pressure was that high it would pop the plastic cap off. It isn't tight on there. I'll give it a shot and hope it works.

Thanks!

Rand
Brightened pulley...
user posted image

A puke bottle is a good thing. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.