Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 GT oil cooler set up install and prototyping thread.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
mb911
I have been putting parts together for this for a long time. I started with oil lines (hard gt lines) , oil tank side oil lines, now onto cooler and lines up to it.. Next will be t stat area.

I want to share what progress along the way as folks ask me often if I have a kit and well "working on it"

Here is a really nice oil cooler I plan to use in the kit. Notice the angle of the inlets and how they are divided..

Click to view attachment
mb911
Here is the stud welded to the long.. I considered 2 studs but not really sure it needs 2. With it held up front. What are your thoughts?Click to view attachment
mepstein
911’s use 3 clamps but the oil lines are longer. I think 2 clamps would be best since one might allow the lines to pivot at the clamp. It’s easier to hold a long metal pipe steady with two hands instead of one. But I’m just guessing.

Glad to see this is moving forward.
TravisNeff
Do the door sill supports need to come out for this, or just opened up a bit?
mb911
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jun 20 2018, 07:01 PM) *

Do the door sill supports need to come out for this, or just opened up a bit?

They really need to come out. Was hoping to leave them in and modify but wouldn't work.

Regarding clamps the other spot its held is where it enters the cockpit. There is no real movement. And factory was brass these are stainless so it doesn't need as much support.
GeorgeRud
Perhaps some type of support could be fabricated to hold the oil lines and also support the door sill?
mb911
Probably so..
Socalandy
We used factory 911 brackets.
mb911
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Jun 22 2018, 09:21 AM) *

We used factory 911 brackets.

I may do that.. Was gonna make my own but thats a good idea..
Socalandy
icon_bump.gif
Mueller
Lines look too nice to put the cover back on!
mb911
Figuring oil cooler shroud outClick to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
The front side I put diverters in as well. Not pictured yet..
mb911
Click to view attachment
mb911
Click to view attachment
Martin Baker
Here is the inlet I bought from Ben. Fitted, welded in, coated with rocker panel texture and painted body color. FYI, this is a bit of a tight fit in a former FAT bumper car...

MB
Martin Baker
Did you get the lines for the front sorted yet?

MB
mb911
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 10 2018, 10:29 AM) *

Did you get the lines for the front sorted yet?

MB

mad.gif sport of.. Waiting still on them to show up.
Martin Baker
Well, I really need them now! Local place was lost when they saw the hard lines..."metric crap" this, "PORSCHE crap" that...Pirtek wants me the put weld on ends on the lines to convert to AN. I get tired of hearing the anti PORSCHE stuff, when they have won a F*** ton of races...I guess those lines have a 37 degree flare, and its 30 mm male with 1.5 mm thread pitch? Is that correct?

MB
mb911
BAT Inc has all the adapters same with pegusus.. I spoke with Criag Smith last week he is Clints dad and does all the soft lines. He is on it. I think.
Martin Baker
I am seeing three different part numbers for the oil line clamps. Do you know which one is the correct P/N for this application? Thanks.

I think it would be the same ones as the 911 SC used.

MB
Larmo63
I used two of these down the side of the car....

https://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearc...ption=oil+lines
Martin Baker
Thanks, I just ordered them. Thanks for your help!

MB
larryM
QUOTE(mb911 @ Jun 25 2018, 09:18 AM) *

Figuring oil cooler shroud outClick to view attachment

i like the hard lines

- but what was wrong with this oem factory GT oil cooler setup?

Click to view attachment
Martin Baker
You are kidding right Larry? A 906 cooler? If you could find one it's probably going to be $10,000. And that's no BS. So that would be the main reason "What's wrong with the factory GT cooler setup"

MB
live free & drive
Robert Peukert in Germany makes an exact replica of the 914-6 GT oil cooler (except end-bells are CNC'd vs cast) - very high quality. I bought one so I know. Cost was around 1000-1100 euro delivered.

It took about 4 weeks for shipment, but he would not ship to USA for some reason so I had him ship it to a friend in Europe who then sent it on to me.

Website - but only really an e-mail contact. I wrote what I wanted in english and used google translate and pasted that into the e-mail and I was able to communicate OK.

http://www.kuehler-peukert.de/

He also sells them on german Ebay on occassion, but no USA shipping.

Martin Baker
Thanks very much for sharing that info.

I went with Ben's version because I have a 3 liter engine, and the ability to cool larger, higher horsepower, larger displacement engines was nice, plus this car is a replica that's is vintages raced during the Sacramento summer temps. Plus the weld in shroud really gives strength to nose area of the car, unlike the screw in, fiberglass version that are on the market.

Do you have a source for the metal shroud kit?

MB
live free & drive
I bought the parts from AJ who had a couple of extra sets $$$ - Tangerine/Chris installed it with the same extra reinforcements that AJ did (see the Pbase site).

Mittlemotor has the parts too in metal:

Upper duct 799 euro
Lower duct 399 euro
Grill/surround 719 euro

Good euro exchange rate right now too.

The only way to find these is to go to their site and type "kuhler" into the search box.

https://www.mittelmotor.de/cms/de/webshop/s...t_category_id=0

Mittelmotor's 914/6-GT oil cooler offering is not a replica of the Behr cooler as far as I can see.
mb911
Look what finally showed up today.. Yeah ..
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
Them purdy ...
wub.gif
TravisNeff
I wish I would have waited longer before getting my oil hoses and went this direction.
mepstein
QUOTE(live free & drive @ Oct 13 2018, 11:17 AM) *

I bought the parts from AJ who had a couple of extra sets $$$ - Tangerine/Chris installed it with the same extra reinforcements that AJ did (see the Pbase site).

Mittlemotor has the parts too in metal:

Upper duct 799 euro
Lower duct 399 euro
Grill/surround 719 euro

Good euro exchange rate right now too.

The only way to find these is to go to their site and type "kuhler" into the search box.

https://www.mittelmotor.de/cms/de/webshop/s...t_category_id=0

Mittelmotor's 914/6-GT oil cooler offering is not a replica of the Behr cooler as far as I can see.

The Mittelmotor parts look great but beyond my price range.
i think its really cool to try to duplicate the factory setup but I'm happy just getting the overall look and function of the GT setup without needing to duplicate it piece by piece. If If had a real factory GT, then I would buy the "right" parts.
Martin Baker
Price is definitely a factor here. Ben's kit will be reasonable, and effective, once it's all sorted out.
rgalla9146
on the other hand...
exact copy of 906 cooler
rgalla9146
911 thermostat installed in 914 chassis with hard lines on drivers side.
rgalla9146
The part we can all agree on.
and the exit into the front wheelhouse
rgalla9146
Detail pic of oil cooler....the only one I can find
Has all the mounting features of the Behr 906 cooler
mb911
QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 13 2018, 12:42 PM) *

Price is definitely a factor here. Ben's kit will be reasonable, and effective, once it's all sorted out.

That's the goal.. Call it GT inspired if you will but looks like front cooler soft lines will likely be $300.. That's cheap for the cohline quality
mepstein
QUOTE(mb911 @ Oct 13 2018, 06:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Martin Baker @ Oct 13 2018, 12:42 PM) *

That's the goal.. Call it GT inspired if you will but looks like front cooler soft lines will likely be $300.. That's cheap for the cohline quality

I think I want to do the whole kit on my blue flared car. The SS AN lines are pretty easy to make but I think I want the period look of these parts.
914forme
Parker, or Other hydraulic supplier? confused24.gif

You just need the adapters as Ben pointed out they are available. My Parker store in Cincinnati had them in a bin. Not for the Porsche application lol-2.gif I think he told me they stock them for the Volvo equipment dealer down the street.

BTW, drooley.gif @rgalla9146 drooley.gif Rory mind sharing the part number of that cooler? Also would love to see your front line area into the cabin, around the foot wheel, and into the hump and exits out. BTW, nice add of the late fuel pump mount.

Ben keep it up, your doing some neat stuff in the price range that makes me piratenanner.gif

So many parts I have sold I wish I keep. headbang.gif
live free & drive
I found the old ebay ad for the 914/6 GT oil cooler replica from germany. This ad was placed in Jan 2018 -the BIN was for 1298 euro. I bought it for less directly from him.

I ran it through a translator, see below:

- NEW PART!

- Replicas made of aluminum in Germany!

- true to the original cooler rebuilt true to the original!

- fits like the original in the front air intake!

- Original Porsche Part number: 901.107.040.25

- Solid construction in aluminum with improved cooling performance /

Cooling net (465x100x80mm) in bar-plate construction

- Thread: 2 x M 30 x 1.5 mm

- painted or in natural aluminum as you wish!

- Danger! The delivery time is about 20 days! Please note!

- Postage / Packaging: € 9,90 (Germany)
Additional costs please inquire!

- For questions we are happy and almost always available:

Tel. 0049/8631/5898

tor-Ölkühler PORSCHE 914/6 GT 901.107.040.25 Neuanfertig.Alu für Frontspoiler!
Originalangebot aufrufen

Click to view attachment
mb911
That's very nice no doubt. My goal in this project was a bigger cooler and to create a turn key setup.. That is taking time for sure.
mepstein
If you want a dead to match 914-6 GT setup, it will cost 5-10X more than any high quality setup. It’s pretty much like that for every piece on the car.

Martin Baker
rgalla9146, is it possible to get a shot of the bracket you made for the thermostat? That is exactly what I want to do with mine...and looks like you did a fantastic job mounting it. Do you have the specs for the lines on the rear portion of that set up?

MB
Martin Baker
Fabricated this out of what was left of the area you remove of a 914 engine lid when you build a GT lid, to protect the lines from thrown rocks and rubber, etc.
seanery
Wish I had a LIKE button for that pic! Cool idea! smilie_pokal.gif
Martin Baker
Thank you! I wish I could say I thought of this myself but I just saw it in one of the pictures of one of the GT cars the factory built. I ended up coating it with the chip guard. Probably much more important with actual brass lines!!!
Martin Baker
Installed my front lines... Now for the rear section.
Martin Baker
So my car required a separate bracket to give the thermostat a good home, due to some additional chassis braces in my car. I built this to connect it to Ben's replica GT hard lines. Coated it with rocker panel spray. New PORSCHE thermostat, designed, cut, bent, drilled, and welded up the bracket from an old 914 engine lid, the section you remove when you make a GT lid. Installed caterpillar track (grommet edging, never heard that term before) where the thermostat contacts my bracket, courtesy the Cessna Aircraft Company...left overs out of my spare stuff...

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appa...yoaApb8EALw_wcB

Its all metric, front to back, and it has been a MAJOR pain in the ass so far, and a good learning experience. Since doing anything with metric here, even in 2019, is like being on another planet...and when you say "Cohline" fittings, its the same confusion/confused look.

Two more lines to complete, the hard line to engine, and soft line to the tank...then I can move the car under its own power again...really tired of pushing the thing around.

MB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.