Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: FI system troubleshooting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Such914
Hello, my mechanic is finishing up a rebuild of my cars FI system, and we cannot get it to work. We have some parts we know are broken, but replacements haven’t worked either. Are there any known sources for these?

-Manifold Pressure sensor (known as the 'grenade')
-Air bypass valve

The issue that we are experiencing is misfiring and lack of power in the top end. Apparently they have tried 3 sensors to no avail. It is a ‘74 2.0.

Thank you!
914werke
welcome.png

& Search is your friend.
76-914
You can disconnect everything, except the MPS, and it will run. Repair kits are available thru Tangerine Racing. I don't remember the name of this do dad but it is like a volume control so you can adjust the ohm output. Unplug the head temp sensor and plug that in place and turn it to the value needed for cold engine. I can't remember that value either(I'm running a Subaru engine happy11.gif ) Maybe 350 ohms confused24.gif Or if you are sure everything else is OK just rotate the dial until it starts. You did verify that the CHT sender is good, correct?
Rand
-Air bypass valve

Those things will mess with your fuel / air ratio. But if you are experiencing misfiring, I'd look first at components related to spark, not fuel.
TheCabinetmaker
Adjust valves, adjust dwell, adjust timing. In that order. I agree with Rand. Sounds like spark,timing, dwell adjustment, Etc. Adjust timing with distributor vacuum unplugged and capped
rhodyguy
FI harness, trigger points? What exactly happens? High idle, low idle or just refuses to start and run? The components need to be matched properly.
TheCabinetmaker
Go here. Read thoroughly, then test items as outlined. It's all pretty simple really. How do you know you have broken parts? Did you test the parts? No offense to your mech, but does he really know these cars and the injection system? You would not believe how many mechanics just "think"they know 914s.

https://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm
Such914
Thank you all for all of this awesome information. Sorry about the slow reply, but I’m sending this information over to my mechanic. Hopefully we can get this moving! He’s worked on a lot of 914’s before, but I think this information is pointing us in a good direction. This FI system has been a lot more troubling than I anticipated!
Mblizzard
Is this L-Jet or D-Jet?
914Sixer
My main concern is the wiring harness. They are old and brittle. Lots have high joints in them. This causes problems to come and go. Bad parts are labeled because of this. The FI system has to see each part of the system.
Jazzy
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 25 2018, 06:55 PM) *

Is this L-Jet or D-Jet?

2.0 and 1.7 are always D-jet, only 914 with L-jet is the 1.8.
Mblizzard
QUOTE(Jazzy @ Jun 25 2018, 10:06 AM) *

QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 25 2018, 06:55 PM) *

Is this L-Jet or D-Jet?

2.0 and 1.7 are always D-jet, only 914 with L-jet is the 1.8.

Yes. I missed the 2.0 in the original post! headbang.gif
dr914@autoatlanta.com
those are not the problem, I would say that. your distributor is the problem, trigger points or ignition points. A bad pressure sensor gives great top end power, an open aux air valve just causes high idle or poor cold idle

QUOTE(Such914 @ Jun 20 2018, 06:58 PM) *

Hello, my mechanic is finishing up a rebuild of my cars FI system, and we cannot get it to work. We have some parts we know are broken, but replacements haven’t worked either. Are there any known sources for these?

-Air bypass valve

The issue that we are experiencing is misfiring and lack of power in the top end. Apparently they have tried 3 sensors to no avail. It is a ‘74 2.0.

Thank you!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.