Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shriners Mather SoloII
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ConeDodger
Steve Nieslony posts Corvette destroying time to come within .5 seconds of TTOD. It took a National Champion Car and Driver with 2.5 times the displacement and 2 times the cylinders to manage that .5 second gap.

Other 914's at the event included John Webster in his very tasty six conversion that was made from a totalled 914 six. Martin "Sleepy" Baker in his daily driver 2.0 liter, EJ and Susan in their 914 racer, Joe Stien all the way from Bigfoot country, one other whose name escapes me (apology here). Mike Meuller showed up to see his first ever set of needle bearing suspension bushings perform on Joes car.

Many other Porsche models were represented well.

It was approaching 8pm before the 4th run group was in the bag.

Even the Shifter Karts had trouble beating Steve. Only one did to break 1:00 minute and take TTOD. (I personally don't count karts)

All in all the 914 was well represented and did very well. Thanks to all of you who travelled so far for this great cause and spent a great day in the sun....
ConeDodger
Steve takes the checkered flag for his best time!!
ConeDodger
John Webster's 6 conversion. So authentic the only thing he lacks is the VIN off the donor!!

Sorry.... See below
ConeDodger
Here it is!!
ConeDodger
And the most incredible story at the event... Martin Baker changed his clutch and PP on Wednesday only to discover that the machine shop didn't machine the PP surface effectively making the clutch unadjustable and engaging only at the top of the pedal stroke. The machine shop blamed him!!! He checked the specs for resurfacing and brought it back to them armed with the facts. On Friday after working all night he put the clutch back in and then went to work Friday night and autocrossed Saturday morning with no sleep. When asked if he wanted to check his tire pressure he said "why? They are still round..." Good to have Martin out in his daily driver 2.0 liter. The six will be back on the track soon I hope...
ConeDodger
Joe from Washington has a fine car. You have to look away as the yellow will cause yours eyeballs to peal!
ConeDodger
Mike Mueller and John Webster discuss John's 914
grantsfo
Any pictures of the beasts you guys were running against?
ConeDodger
Grant, Some of the beasts were in the background of this pic but I had little interest in them. I was just shootin' my peeps...
ConeDodger
I think Martin is asleep in this one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ConeDodger
Here I am in the stand-in autocross car until the 914 is ready....
J P Stein
Damnit Robby don't be in such a hurry for my son Joe to get my car biggrin.gif
.......he'll get it all too soon for me.
ConeDodger
Sorry JP, Joe is of course JP's son. JP owns the car and he was driving. Joe lives in Yuba City and if I am still possessed of the skill to diagnose, I would say Joe has 914 envy. A mild case. Not enough to knock off the old man but none the less he needs a 914.

Rob
Steve_7x
Rob,

Thanks for the report and the pics.

I was very surprised that I cleared as many vettes and veteran SCCA zoomy cars. I just remember the timing slip lady going 'Oh my God' when I ran the 101... it was funny and cute.

You forgot to mention that Joy was there co-piloting the Pylon Assasin. She had a tougher time out there... going of course twice (due to braking to late after the chicane) and on her final run starting in 3rd. Her last run was a 109 with the poor start and going off course I estimate she could have been 106 or 105. She is learning, and has done a great job. clap.gif She wanted a 5th run and make it clean - lol driving-girl.gif

You did miss another 914 driver, Duane Dejung was out there... I don't recall his times but he also looked like he had a great time.

Best of all - all of the money taken in (I would estrimate between 4 and 5000 dollars went to the Shriners for the care of children... and for that the organizers deserve a very big atta boy smilie_pokal.gif

Cheers!
Steve

grantsfo
QUOTE (Steve_7x @ Jun 13 2005, 08:50 AM)
I just remember the timing slip lady going 'Oh my God' when I ran the 101.

Thats funny because thats what I say every time I watch you or Andrew B run. biggrin.gif

SirAndy
what i'd like to know ...

J P Stein
Yeah, they was watching us pretty close.. laugh.gif

CHP training area, me thinks. They had a lot of cones set up.
J P Stein
Steve screwed the pooch on his last run.....braked too late & slid thru the outside of a turn....came to a complete stop, backed up & was off again.....and still ran a 1:09. that little fopah had to take at least 10 sec.
Steve_7x
Andy... Mather field has been a Sac County Sherrif and CHP training ground for many, many years... and they were watching how well behaved we were. cool.gif

JP... I don't know if my meeestake was worth 10 seconds, but it certainly made it my slowest run by 4 seconds. I was a little late in turning left (carrying more speed) and I got in the marbles and went staright despite steering input otherwise. Sheeet happens... stromberg.gif

Grant... lol... thanks for good words... many times I surprise myself. I was shooting to get in the 102's when I got the 101. On my last run I was trying to get in th 100's... oops... got carried away - lol

Steve
J P Stein
Yes, It was great to meet you, Mike. You're actually a regular guy, not at all like the flake you pretend to be on the BBS laugh.gif

The Bearing story is kinda funny. I putting on some plastic sunzabitches & and whining about how much bind they're causing (on the BBS) and Mike writes & says "wait a minute (or a week). I gots sumthin' you need to try". So I waited......& became crash test dummy for the bearings. Fairly painless, I must admit. I don't think I was first with the rears, but I bought those with confidence is Mike's stuff. As I've said to anyone that asked (and many that haven't), they're worth every nickel.......bout 16,000 of em' for all 4 corners. biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I was not aware that I missed mentioning Joy but it was not meant as a slight... Hell, she beat me! Duane I met early in the morning and was so tired when I got home I could not remember his name. Heck I even called JP - Joe. I got there at 0800 and left at close to 2000 in the late evening. My right rear tire had picked up a screw and I would start my runs with good tire pressure but end with about 21# after each run. Needless to say I had some interesting handling characteristics.
The couse is actually the EVOC or Emergency Vehicle Operation Course for the Sac County Sheriffs Department. CHP has their own EVOC course in the West Sac area. In fact we might consider approaching them for an autocross venue. I think we have a fairly active member that is an officer.
Anyway, if you guys want me to send you pictures of your cars at Mather send me your personal email address and I will try to get them out soon....

Rob
Steve_7x
Rob,

In regrads to Joy, no slight taken... honest! I am just very proud of her. smilie_pokal.gif How much beterr can it get then to have your lady friend enjoy the same things you do? wub.gif

Okay enough of the syruppy stuff!

Yep... we have a few CHPsters in the club... but getting Mather once agin would clearly be the cat's meow.

Ouch... losing tire pressure that fast is an extra variable you didn't need to deal with.

Rob... you got my email from our meetings with Matt... if not it should be in the SVR directory. Love to have some full sieze - cool.gif

Steve
Dman
Yah, I was there! It was a fun event, nice long course. Not very well organized though.

Overall I was very happy with my times, my best was a 108.15 and I know I left a couple seconds out there. I think I could have shifted to 3rd I spent a lot of time on the revlimiter, I think the course workers were giving me weird looks on the back side of the course. blink.gif

My biggest priority was to make sure my wife had some fun driving and she did! Might be easier to get that new motor now! biggrin.gif Thanks for the help Steve & Rob.
ConeDodger
Duane,
All I told her was to remember to breath in and out, and assure her that she was not going to hurt that pretty car. In fact I once saw a statistic that autocross cars had fewer breakdowns and an extrapolation was made to the extra attention given to maintainance and safety.
Not to mention that it sucks to be a low performance driver in a high performance car...
Sandy is having some minor surgery tomorrow so it will be a day or so before I can get pics out.
Rob
J P Stein
QUOTE (Rotten Robby @ Jun 14 2005, 08:14 PM)

Not to mention that it sucks to be a low performance driver in a high performance car...

I can identify with that. sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.