Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sticky throttle cable improvements?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jameel
I don't like the feel of my throttle at the pedal. I drive my 911SC more than my 914, and it's spoiled me a bit with its linkage rod setup. Very smooth movement. On the other hand, I also have a '69 bug, with the exact dual Weber cross bar linkage setup as the 914 and its much smoother than the 914. I understand that the 914 cable has a couple more turns it has to make. My pedal cluster linkage is very free and smooth, pedal itself is too, and my cross bar between the carbs moves great. I've also squirted Tri Flow down the cable housing from the engine end. It moves pretty easily by hand. What I'm feeling is simply normal friction from a cable inside a housing. Question is, any way to improve it?
bob's project
I was fed up with my throttle feel last month. I diagnosed as my cable since the throttle body moved freely as well as everything at the pedal cluster.

I ordered a Porsche cable after seeing a GEMO one from my FLAPS. That cable on the Porsche one was a "finer" one.

When I removed the old one the cable had sawed its way through the plastic guide tube in one location at the rear of the tunnel. This this probably the tightest radius in the run. I mention this as it would be difficult to get the Tri-Flow that far into the cable, and it would only have a temporary effect.

Changing the cable was not too challenging, was inexpensive, and now the throttle feels great.

I hope you are able to get yours working well too.

jim_hoyland
I had a similar problem with a sticky cable feeling, turned out that the bend ( radius ) where the cable comes up and over the motor was a little of of line.
In the past, I’ve had cables break one strand inside the sheath too
Jameel
Got a genuine cable in the mail this week, put it in this morning. Took about 2 hours, including some cleaning. The old cable housing didn't have any of the inner tube left, so the cable was rubbing inside the metal tube in the tunnel. The new one is much better, and the install was pretty easy actually. Much better throttle feel now, still not as smooth and effortless as my bug or 911, but way better.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.