Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Antilock brake's on a 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mike9142.0
Has this been done before?
Brad Roberts
Not that I'm aware of. I have looked into it, but the task is monumental. Wheel speed sensors/wiring.. and the such. I'm not sure the 914 alternator could even keep up with the amperage demands of a late model Bosch ABS system. It would require some serious amperage.

B
914Timo
Here in Finland is one VW Bug with antilock brakes. So, why not.....
Jeroen
What for? I have ABS in my right foot biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
L8Apex
my car has ABS. The pads are so shot, they never lock up. sad.gif
Mike9142.0
What would the power demands be?
I was thinking of the ABS system from the 944/968.
Mark Henry
How about one of those talking thingy’s out of a luxury car:

"The door is ajar."
"The door is ajar."

"You are exceeding the speed limit."
"You are exceeding the speed limit."

"This unit does not float."
"This unit does not...glub..glub...glub...

biggrin.gif
Hybrid_Teener
how about an ABS unit from a boxster?
GeorgeRud
If you want antilock brakes, buy a Boxster.

There was a device around in the 70's called a Safety Brake (or something similar) that would attach to your master cylinder and help prevent lockup. I think it was basically another spring loaded proportioning valve. Never bought one, but they were pretty heavily advertised back then. Don't know if they're still around.

I personally also believe that a good right foot is the best antilock brake system, also doesn't make that infernal noise when it goes into action.
Mueller
too lazy to find the website right now, but YES, it's been done on that wild and crazy twin-supercharged V8 914 in England....

jd74914
This v8?

edit: yep, he has speed sensors for implenetation of ABS . . . interesting

IPB Image
Brett W
Stewart Warner makes what is basically a cushioned prop valve. They are used in some Winston Cup cars. Supposedly the work well. I would like to try one.
Aaron Cox
IPB Image
CoolAirVw
ABS who needs it! I always hate that sinking feeling when your sliding toward something and the abs comes on making you feel out of control thinking your gonna crash....

But with a similar system you could have traction control. Recent snow storms here in midwest and driving a few cars with traction control makes me want it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.