Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: East coast party and 914 parts sell-off.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3
VaccaRabite
Epoxy sealed my gas tank over the weekend. Put it back together outside the car last night. Need to re-run fuel lines under the tank tonight and put the tank back in. On track for being able to drive the 914 to jim's!

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 12 2018, 09:14 AM) *

Epoxy sealed my gas tank over the weekend. Put it back together outside the car last night. Need to re-run fuel lines under the tank tonight and put the tank back in. On track for being able to drive the 914 to jim's!

Zach

That will be great!
JmuRiz
Was looking through my phone photos last night (looking for photos I missed that had my dad in them) and found some I saved of Jim.

Also re-linking Jim Kelly's video of the CIS 2.0....I think my dad took a video on his phone, but I haven't looked at his phone in a long time (but it is nice to hear his 'woooo' in the background)

I'll be in the new-to-me family truckster in case I find some parts and can load em up.
mepstein
So, A BIG Thank you to Adam from Unobtanium. Adam made a very generous (unsolicited & appreciated) donation to the party. With it, I'll be purchasing a big tray of pulled pork, baked beans, mac & cheese and potato salad from my favorite little BBQ joint to bring down to the party. We will supplement it with hot dogs, chips, soda ect. If you have something nutritious you'd like to bring, feel free to share.

Adam also sent down a box of giveaways for attendees. So again, a big THANK YOU! Adam - Unobtanium. beerchug.gif first.gif piratenanner.gif
Dion
Nice one Adam. Thank you.
ValcoOscar
I can't wait. It will be fun hanging with East Coast group.
I'll come to party alone as wife plans to stay in DC to do some shopping.

Bringing a cooler w soft drinks!!!

driving.gif

Oscar

VaccaRabite
Thanks for posting those pictures! Its a total shame that engine never made into into his car. (I think - did it?)

When Jim and rod powder coated all the orange bits, Jim did a bunch more then he needed of injector clamps. I needed some, so at that party he gave me 4 of his spares. So I have some "Jim Orange" color in my engine bay - if you look.

Zach
eyecolor
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 22 2018, 04:14 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 22 2018, 06:53 PM) *

GLWS, Jim was a good man. Hopefully you'll get Top Dollar! Were all those items shipped to the east coast to sale? Seems an added expense, if so. Will this be locals only or an online auction that runs concurrently?

The party and sale is at Barbara McLeod’s house in Vienna, VA. It’s a one day event. There isn’t an online sale at this time. Getting top dollar isn’t as important as getting it all sold and into the hands of 914 enthusiasts, while remembering that we want Barbara to benefit from Jim’s 914 passion.

Mark

I hope to make for this event.
Thanks for being so kind

George Ozer
Wilmington,De
type47swife
THANK YOU ALL! This is Jim's wife Barbara. It will be nice to meet many of you on August 4th. Mark has been great helping me to figure out what to do with Jim's TREASURES!

Tomorrow he will be gone 3 years. Hard to imagine!
How he loved his 914's. When we were in High School he dreamed of having a 911. One of the guys in his band got a new one for his 16th birthday... if you can imagine! Anyway, Jim coveted one from that time on. After totaling a 944 he got a settlement that allowed him to buy his 911SC. That car was NOT his favorite!?! He preferred the 914's since he could work on them. He built that garage for his babies and would have tried to get more cars if he had an even bigger garage!! AND... he spent MOST of his spare time either working at Home Depot to get money for the cars or out in the garage working on the cars or on this forum talking about cars. Needless to say I was a bit jealous.

He was out in the garage the day he passed. How he longed to clean up that 6 and put it in the Orange 914.

I've waited all this time not being able to think about parting with the things he loved. There are so many parts that it gives me anxiety to go into the garage and storage room.
I know that he would be happy knowing some of you will put the parts to use.
Looking forward to meeting you and hoping to find a home for much of the Porsche parts.
We will just have this event that one day but I am happy to have those of you who can't attend come by sometime to see if he has anything you need. I'm not going anywhere for now. Thanks, Barbara
saigon71

Zach

Keep trucking Zach. Let me know if you want to caravan down.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(saigon71 @ Jul 18 2018, 07:42 PM) *

Zach

Keep trucking Zach. Let me know if you want to caravan down.

Put the tank in last night. Jacked up the font end and just need to connect the two hoses to the tank. Then put some gas in it and see if it will start. It SHOULD, but you never know.

I probably won't have the AAR sorted by the time of the party, so I'll have a wicked high idle when it gets warm. But I'm hopeful that it will be able to make the trip.

Zach
nditiz1
Get that thing running! Then you can see your hard work first hand (knob).

Zach/Bob,

I'll caravan with you guys. Not sure which way you'll be coming down, but I can meet you in route.

mepstein
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 19 2018, 09:44 AM) *

Zach/Bob,

I'll caravan with you guys. Not sure which way you'll be coming down, but I can meet you in route.

Glad you can make it.
sjhenry1075
I'm still very new to this forum and I did not know this gentleman; however, it seems as though he's someone I would've appreciated knowing. I'll be attending as well if not just to talk to other 914 owners and possible find something for my 71.
crash914
Zach, just plug off the AAR port and don't use it.

I don't need any with mine...its not cold enough right now. Save it for later!
mepstein
QUOTE(sjhenry1075 @ Jul 19 2018, 03:56 PM) *

I'm still very new to this forum and I did not know this gentleman; however, it seems as though he's someone I would've appreciated knowing. I'll be attending as well if not just to talk to other 914 owners and possible find something for my 71.

Great! See you there. beerchug.gif
ValcoOscar
Mark

What time are you starting on the 4th?

I need to estimate drive time from DC.

Oscar
mepstein
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 19 2018, 05:23 PM) *

Mark

Oscar

10am

Setup at 8, open at 10, have everything sold by 12, eat lunch biggrin.gif
BeatNavy

Mark

Oscar

Oscar, where are you staying in DC (roughly)? It shouldn't be too bad getting to Jim's place in Vienna on a Saturday morning. Anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.

Is anyone else coming in from out of town and need a place to crash Friday (or Saturday) night? I'm about 15 to 20 minutes from Jim's place (without DC traffic, that is smile.gif). I can probably offer up a bed or at least a roof, bathroom, beer, etc.
BeatNavy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 19 2018, 05:35 PM) *

have everything sold by 12, eat lunch biggrin.gif

You DO know how much stuff Jim had, yes? poke.gif
ValcoOscar
QUOTE(BeatNavy @ Jul 19 2018, 02:48 PM) *

Mark

Oscar

Oscar, where are you staying in DC (roughly)? It shouldn't be too bad getting to Jim's place in Vienna on a Saturday morning. Anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes.

Is anyone else coming in from out of town and need a place to crash Friday (or Saturday) night? I'm about 15 to 20 minutes from Jim's place (without DC traffic, that is smile.gif). I can probably offer up a bed or at least a roof, bathroom, beer, etc.

Thank you Rob-

Good, not to far. Wife and I booked a hotel near Arlington Cemetery.
She's going shopping and sightseeing Saturday.
Sunday we're having brunch with a niece in Georgetown.

I'll definitely have a cold one with you on Saturday. beerchug.gif

Oscar

BeatNavy
QUOTE(ValcoOscar @ Jul 19 2018, 06:07 PM) *

Thank you Rob-

Good, not to far. Wife and I booked a hotel near Arlington Cemetery.
She's going shopping and sightseeing Saturday.
Sunday we're having brunch with a niece in Georgetown.

I'll definitely have a cold one with you on Saturday. beerchug.gif

Oscar

Oh yeah, no problem then. It's a pretty straight shot out of Arlington on I-66 to Route 123 and where Jim & Barbara's house in Vienna. Maybe 30 minutes.

Enjoy your visit to our capital and look forward to meeting you then beerchug.gif
saigon71
QUOTE(nditiz1 @ Jul 19 2018, 09:44 AM) *

Zach/Bob,

Nick/Zach:

Caravan would be great if it works logistically. I'll check the route and start a text string when the time gets closer.

Bob
crash914
I can follow you guys with the support wagon if you go down 29 from I70
nditiz1
QUOTE(crash914 @ Jul 20 2018, 09:24 AM) *

I can follow you guys with the support wagon if you go down 29 from I70

Hey I thought you posted in Zach's Megasquirt thread that you got yours running again, why not drive it?
crash914
rear brake calipers bound up, brake fade....
eyecolor
Hi Matt

Looking forward to coming down and meeting some of those that have given me great advice with getting none in return.

What time is the earliest we can show up without causing a problem?

Please let me know if I can bring food or drink.
Easy to do.

Thanks again.

George
mepstein
QUOTE(eyecolor @ Jul 21 2018, 12:11 PM) *

Hi Matt

Looking forward to coming down and meeting some of those that have given me great advice with getting none in return.

Easy to do.

Thanks again.

George

We are going to start things off at 10am. Looks like we have a pretty good local crew to help get things organized in the morning. Drinks would be good. Maybe some jugs of Ice tea, lemonade, ect but anything you care to bring is very appreciated. Thanks!
eyecolor
[quote name='mepstein' date='Jul 21 2018, 09:21 AM' post='2631309']
[quote name='eyecolor' post='2631305' date='Jul 21 2018, 12:11 PM']
Hi Matt

Easy to do.

Thanks again.

George
[/quote]
We are going to start things off at 10am. Looks like we have a pretty good local crew to help get things organized i

duh

I meant Mark

Can you repost the address?
ValcoOscar
icon_bump.gif

Greetings from SoCal.

See ya there next Saturday beerchug.gif

Oscar
Larmo63
Oscar gets around.......!!
mepstein
10AM

Glen Ave SW
Vienna VA 22180

The house will be obvious. Just don't want to post Barbara's house number on the internet. Parking very nearby at an office building that is closed on Weekends. Family friendly event. Lunch will be served. Thanks!
VaccaRabite
Still hope in the air that I will be in my 914.
Still need insurance and to get the AAR in. The AAR kit from Mark just arrived and I’m hopeful to get it in and tuned for the party.
mepstein
A big thank you to Adam at Unobtanium for supporting this event. His open house is coming soon.
VaccaRabite
Well, getting the car running for the event is moot. I’ll be bringing both boys and driving the WRX. Only 2 seats in the teener and I’ve to three butts that need seats.
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 31 2018, 09:55 PM) *

Well, getting the car running for the event is moot. I’ll be bringing both boys and driving the WRX. Only 2 seats in the teener and I’ve to three butts that need seats.

Your boys will be welcome. There are some matchbox/hot wheels that need to find a good home.

A couple people asked if the event is rain or shine. Yes, the party will go on either way. Once we roll a couple of the cars out of the 4 garage, there will be plenty of room. we can always cover up the cars so everyone and every teener stays dry. BBQ is ordered so make sure the weather doesn't hold you back. driving.gif
VaccaRabite
I’ll bring a couple 10x10 pop ups too.

Zach
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 31 2018, 10:55 PM) *

I’ll bring a couple 10x10 pop ups too.

Zach

beerchug.gif
VaccaRabite
So, a wrinkle has developed.

I just learned of an estate sale near me in PA on Saturday that is selling 2 BMW 2002 shells and a bunch of parts. I need doors for my car. I've called the auctioneer and he says there are doors there, but he does not know what condition they are in and won't until Friday when they are layed out. So, I'll call back Friday, and he is going to get pictures for me.

If the doors are worth getting, I'm going to go north instead of south to get them. Hard to pass up a set of doors at estate sale prices.

I'll see if I can get someone to grab my 10x10 pop-ups if I can't show.

Zach
nditiz1
Zach,

I have 2 10x10 popups I can bring down. Bob and I are going to follow each other down.
mepstein
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Aug 1 2018, 11:31 AM) *

So, a wrinkle has developed.

I just learned of an estate sale near me in PA on Saturday that is selling 2 BMW 2002 shells and a bunch of parts. I need doors for my car. I've called the auctioneer and he says there are doors there, but he does not know what condition they are in and won't until Friday when they are layed out. So, I'll call back Friday, and he is going to get pictures for me.

If the doors are worth getting, I'm going to go north instead of south to get them. Hard to pass up a set of doors at estate sale prices.

I'll see if I can get someone to grab my 10x10 pop-ups if I can't show.

Zach

Do both.
Your kids will enjoy our party a lot more than a glorified yard sale.
ValcoOscar
On my way...stuck in Atlanta due to severe weather over Richmond VA.

Not to worry...I just noticed a co passenger here at the terminal that looked familiar.

Turns out he is Commander Scott Kelly retired astronaut who piloted space shuttle Discovery...COOL

I thanked him for his service.

flag.gif

Oscar
BeatNavy
icon_bump.gif Bumperoo! icon_bump.gif

We may not even get rain tomorrow! First time in how many daysin the mid-Atlantic???

Who's a definite for showing up? We'll see how many local P-car guys show up. Jim was pretty active locally, and he's not forgotten.

Mark
Oscar
Me
Nathan?
....?
crash914
right now I am planning on it.
mepstein
It’s rain or shine. We are prepared for both and I’ve picked up the food. See everyone tomorrow. piratenanner.gif
JmuRiz
I got a 15-pack of good beer to go with the food being provided biggrin.gif
crash914
Mmmmm, beer.
cuddy_k
Bummed I can't make it. I'm sure it'll be a great day for a great cause. Have fun. And if anyone eyes a nice painted rear bumper for my '74....
nditiz1
Bob and I will be there.
mepstein
Gauges
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.