Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front tires wearing out quickly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
86motoman
Front tires wearing out after seven months of use. It wears both tires out consistently in the middle.

Please tell me this is just an alignment issue, and it is nothing else that will cost a bunch of time and money to fix. I am going to college and have very little dollars. Any help is appreciative.
michel richard
Ohters with more experience will chime in, but I believe that the first thing to look at, under those circumstances, is overinflation.

Michel
Joe Bob
Air.....muy grande mucho.... wink.gif
86motoman
I will check the air pressure as soon as I get off work. That would surprise me because I haven't touched them since Les Schwab put brand new tires on in December.
86motoman
I checked both tires pressure and they were at 32lbs.

What would be the next thing to check?
smrz914
Tire presure is something you have to play around with. You need to find what your car likes. Since 32 was too much then you need to take some air out. If you want to even them out a little underinflate them and drive for a while. You should also rotate your tires once in a while. Take the tires down to 30 and drive for a while and see if you can get the outer edges to wear out. If you can at 30 psi then once they are where you like them the inflate them to 31 psi. If 30 ps is still to much, bring it down to 28 and keep working at this untill you find the wear you like. Temperature makes a difference so if you check when the tires are cold always check when they are cold. Tire presures are almost always given when the tire is cold so keep that in mind. Good luck. This is a long term experiment.
86motoman
Thank you Paul,

I will experiment around with the pressure.
SirAndy
agree.gif my street tires like to be run at 24lbs, took me a while to find that number, they were listed at 34lbs ...

wink.gif Andy
dflesburg
I have had the same tires on my 914 since 1992 when I bought the wheels. Pull your motor, take your car completely apart and have it dipped, your tires will last a lot longer....
SirAndy
QUOTE (dflesburg @ Jun 13 2005, 04:39 AM)
Pull your motor, take your car completely apart and have it dipped, your tires will last a lot longer....

biggrin.gif that is soooooo true ...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.