Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: suspension mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jet1
I need to remove the rear outside suspension moint. (the part where the control arm bolts to with the three bolts.) I did not realize there was so much reinforcement under the mount. Anyone have advice on how to remove the mount. I plan to reuse it after I repair the area under it with the upper/lower wheelhouse part from AA.

The reinforced area is the part I am unsure of. I was thinking I should just cut it along the seam where the inner and outer long meet?
Bleyseng
Drill out the spot welds?

Can't you leave it in and tie new metal to it and around it?

Gonna be hard to reset it if you don't make some sort of jig to make damn sure it goes back in exactly where it should...
jet1
Gonna be hard to reset it if you don't make some sort of jig to make damn sure it goes back in exactly where it should...

I made a jig that will screw in to the long right above the mount.

Can't you leave it in and tie new metal to it and around it?

There is rust behind the mount(inside the long) and also on the underside of the mount. I think the best thing to do is to remove it and repair what is underneath it.
9144guy
sorry i have welded almost every part on but that peice...good luck
cdmcse
I did that exact repair, I was unable to get the mount off in a useable condition. It has multiple layers of spot welds. Those big stiffeners on the bottom cover several spot welds. After getting 3 cut off of parts cars that were cracked or too rusted to use, I finally got one of the good guys in CA to cut one off of a rust free car. See my repair thread in my signature.
cdmcse
Here is what it looks like from the inside...
jet1
Thanks for the picture. I hope I can get mine to come off that clean. There are a ton of spot welds, so I was thinking of cutting directly around the mount to remove it. Then grinding the long metal off from the back side.

I guess I will have to see how it starts to come off tommorow afternoon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.