Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: rear trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vertigo
Hello everyone, am new to this board. I have a '73 914 2.0 and am looking for some help with rear trunk. When it is opened, then closed, the driver side (nearest door) will not sit properly. It is about 1/4 inch too high. I have found that if I open the engine lid I can use a 14mm wrench on one of the bolts and it will pull lid back into position until opened again. I have also noticed the nut ( I assume) for the pivot part of the trunk has been broken off. Is it possible to replace? Any ideas on how to get trunk to sit correctly? Thanks in advance for replies.
ClayPerrine
Welcome to the club.

The problem you have is a common one and stems from a design flaw in the trunk pivot. The bolt is a shoulder bolt and it seizes to the hinge, then the next time you open the trunk you shear off the pivot point on the body.

The permanent fix is to contact James Adams of JWest engineering. Get one of his trunk hinge kits and install it. You will never have the problem again.

You will need to make a tool to remove the torsion bars on the rear trunk. You can do this by taking a 12" cresent and cutting a notch out of the loop on the handle end so that it is now C shaped. Then hook that over the torsion bars to release them.

user posted image

goose2
agree.gif There are a number of ways to fix it if you're a fabricator at all and have welding equipment, but the Jwest system is nice, adjustable, and reasonably priced. A really good guy to deal with too.
vertigo
Where/ how do I get in touch with JWest engineering? Is there a link or phone number somewhere?
Porsche Rescue
Right here, go to 914 Forums and click on 914 Resources.
boxstr
You might want to think about getting rid of the tension rods completely.
CCLINTRUNKMONKEY
JWest
Click on the link on the bottom of this post for my pivot kit.

I also recommend the shock kit from Craig (Camp914). I have one in my car and love it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.