Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Four to five lug wheel conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Chip
I have black, stock wheels on my '73 1.8 with four-lugs. VW hubcaps with no logo.

Finding it hard to locate some Fuchs with four lugs. What does it take to make the conversion to five lug? Don't want flares or wider-spaced wheels or axles.
napasteve
Nice set of 4-lug Fuchs: $800-1000 for 4 or 5 wheels

Conversion to 5-lug:
Nice set of 5-lug Fuchs including refinishing/tires/lugs/caps: $3800 for 5 wheels
Conversion parts from PMB including rotors/hubs/bearings/brake shoes/studs: $800
Hiring 2 smart, experienced guys to do the conversion:$500
Total:$5100

I think it was worth it.
Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Steve’s right. You’re not looking hard enough. Check the Samba and Pelican boards too...
mepstein
I have a set that I’m planning on putting up for sale soon. Origional finish in very nice condition. Origional caps in very good condition. Oem bolts. Spare 5th wheel has a visible ding or flat spot on the edge. Can’t remember exactly. Holds air and works fine as a spare. Spares are stored upside down so you never even see the ding. $1,000 for all 5. Shipping will run $130-150 for all 5. Tires not included.
Mark Henry
I'd say that's about going rate, Mark's set is a real good deal because it includes the bolts and caps.
Larmo63
If you want to do real 911 SC struts and Elephant Racing stuff, along with all new turbo tie rods, Lemfoerder ball joints, and all new bearings, it can get really expensive.

Then, there is the rear end too.................

Just saying.
Spoke
I like the look of 5-lug on the 914. Kinda like having big-boy pants on.

I've 5-lugged 2 914s so far and both times I was able to find complete 911 suspensions for good prices. The last one I found was from a 72 911 and included the entire front end and the rear end minus the rear calipers for $150 delivered to my door.

For wheels, Automotion.com has some nice 7x16 and 7x17 fuchs repros but they will require pulling out the fender on the rear of the car. I put 7x17 and 9x17 fuchs repros on my 930 for $600 including shipping.

If you want to stay with 5.5 or 6 inch wheels, they have these nice looking chrome fuchs repros in 15 inch.

The one thing about 15 inch and even 16 inch wheels is finding tires that fit is getting more and more difficult.

Click to view attachment
mepstein
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 25 2018, 12:18 AM) *

I've 5-lugged 2 914s so far and both times I was able to find complete 911 suspensions for good prices. The last one I found was from a 72 911 and included the entire front end and the rear end minus the rear calipers for $150 delivered to my door.

For wheels, Automotion.com has some nice 7x16 and 7x17 fuchs repros but they will require pulling out the fender on the rear of the car. I put 7x17 and 9x17 fuchs repros on my 930 for $600 including shipping.

If you want to stay with 5.5 or 6 inch wheels, they have these nice looking chrome fuchs repros in 15 inch.

The one thing about 15 inch and even 16 inch wheels is finding tires that fit is getting more and more difficult.

Its hard to find those deals anymore on 911 parts. Everything on the early and mid year cars used to get given away to “upgrade” to SC or Carrara parts. Now guys are going back to stock since everyone wants origional. If you do find a deal, most likely you will need to replace shock inserts, A arm bushings, wheel bearings, rebuild calipers, new rotors, soft lines and pads.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 25 2018, 08:54 AM) *

Its hard to find those deals anymore on 911 parts. Everything on the early and mid year cars used to get given away to “upgrade” to SC or Carrara parts. Now guys are going back to stock since everyone wants origional. If you do find a deal, most likely you will need to replace shock inserts, A arm bushings, wheel bearings, rebuild calipers, new rotors, soft lines and pads.

agree.gif

Less than 10 years ago you could find good 4 bolt fuchs for $400-500 a set and 15" 5-bolts weren't much more. I just snagged a set of 5-bolts at a price I couldn't pass up, even though it was almost double the price just a few years ago.

Peeps aren't updating anymore, they're all backdating to original. Used parts prices are reflecting this big time.
Optimusglen
You can do a solid 5-lug swap without breaking the bank if you don't mind not using original parts.

I purchased a new set of 914-4 front rotors, had a machine shop drill, spotface the back, and press in studs for $100.

For the rear, a set of early hubs and new rotors, also drilled with studs pressed in.

For wheels I used Euromeisters and refinished them myself. Good quality wheel even though it's cast. Not a replica because they didn't just make a cast wheel using the same geometry as a forged wheel. These were under $500 for the set.

New tires of course. Wheels are 16x7 et 23.3 all around, tires are 195/55. Had to roll the inside lip flat in the rear, but no rubbing.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
Mueller
If you are not in a big rush, I'll be selling my 5 lug conversion parts in about a month. Factory /4 parts redrilled to 5x130. Very low miles on the front brake rotors.
Chip
QUOTE(napasteve @ Jun 24 2018, 03:56 PM) *

Nice set of 4-lug Fuchs: $800-1000 for 4 or 5 wheels

Conversion to 5-lug:
Nice set of 5-lug Fuchs including refinishing/tires/lugs/caps: $3800 for 5 wheels
Conversion parts from PMB including rotors/hubs/bearings/brake shoes/studs: $800
Hiring 2 smart, experienced guys to do the conversion:$500
Total:$5100

I think it was worth it.
Click to view attachment

Very nice! Where did you find two smart guys?
Chip
QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jun 24 2018, 08:37 PM) *

If you want to do real 911 SC struts and Elephant Racing stuff, along with all new turbo tie rods, Lemfoerder ball joints, and all new bearings, it can get really expensive.

Then, there is the rear end too.................

Just saying.

No, no, no. I'll look/consider these fine and fair 4-lug offerings.
Thank you.
Chip
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jun 24 2018, 10:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Thanks for the help. My stock wheels are 16"
Chip
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 25 2018, 09:01 AM) *

You can do a solid 5-lug swap without breaking the bank if you don't mind not using original parts.

I purchased a new set of 914-4 front rotors, had a machine shop drill, spotface the back, and press in studs for $100.

For the rear, a set of early hubs and new rotors, also drilled with studs pressed in.

For wheels I used Euromeisters and refinished them myself. Good quality wheel even though it's cast. Not a replica because they didn't just make a cast wheel using the same geometry as a forged wheel. These were under $500 for the set.

New tires of course. Wheels are 16x7 et 23.3 all around, tires are 195/55. Had to roll the inside lip flat in the rear, but no rubbing.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Great info. Your wheels look very nice, and I've always thought that the wheels/tires set off the car. I will consider this. Thanks to you.

sholman5
Dare to be different , if you can find them. Original Miniltes.
Click to view attachment
napasteve
Quote from Chip:
"Very nice! Where did you find two smart guys?"

Reply:
They were in the next town over: Sonoma.

Mark and Tim at Original Customs.

Sadly they decamped to Michigan.
napasteve
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Jun 25 2018, 03:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

This was my car before the conversion; Minilite lookalikes from Performance Wheels. Were our 2 Olympic Blues separated at birth??? A good look but I still love the real Fuchs.

Click to view attachment
Chip
QUOTE(sholman5 @ Jun 25 2018, 04:16 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Wowa.
porschetub
QUOTE(Optimusglen @ Jun 26 2018, 03:01 AM) *

agree.gif a great solution @ a reasonable outlay,don't think even with a small bore six you would have any stopping issue if the system is as new with the right pads used,these are light cars afterall.
mepstein
I have a real pair of magnesium minilites that I plan to sell. They are either 6 or 6 1/2”. I cant remember. I was saving them for a narrow body GT style look (Fuchs front, minilites rear) but I don’t think I need them anymore.
914forme
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 25 2018, 10:33 AM) *

Peeps aren't updating anymore, they're all backdating to original. Used parts prices are reflecting this big time.

Not only that they are backdating newer cars to look like the older cars. confused24.gif
Chip
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 24 2018, 04:17 PM) *

I have a set that I’m planning on putting up for sale soon. Origional finish in very nice condition. Origional caps in very good condition. Oem bolts. Spare 5th wheel has a visible ding or flat spot on the edge. Can’t remember exactly. Holds air and works fine as a spare. Spares are stored upside down so you never even see the ding. $1,000 for all 5. Shipping will run $130-150 for all 5. Tires not included.

Mark, Chip here. Do you still have the Fuchs?
mepstein
QUOTE(Chip @ Jul 13 2018, 08:10 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 24 2018, 04:17 PM) *

Mark, Chip here. Do you still have the Fuchs?

Yes.
thelogo
This is kinda silly i think

Although i love , 5 lug fuchs and its an absolute iconic

Porsche look that is truly 1 of a kind .

I dont think it justify s 5 to 6 grand

stromberg.gif and rolling rear fenders stromberg.gif

When a 6 to 8 hundred or even 1000$
Set of 4 lug fuchs are a nice looking ,solid ,lightweight
Set of wheels . And no fender rolling piratenanner.gif wub.gif

I got a set of 4 lug fuchs ,8 years ago

Fully polished mint condition for 700 $

mepstein
I think it’s up to each individual to justify what it’s worth to them. Personally, I can justify any toy or modification that I like. Takes me about 10 seconds. It’s my bank account that lags behind.

The nice thing about the 911 five lug parts is the price keeps going up. So if you buy it now and don’t install it, there’s a good chance it will sell for more than you paid if you need to unload the project.
Coondog
I say its a work of Art....
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.