Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wont Start when hot
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mxdude914
I finally got my car to where i drive it every where now and then this comes up, either it starts right away when hot(rare), takes a while to start, or just won't until the car cools down completely. Any ideas?
Joe Bob
Won't turn over or won't fire up....?

Won't turn over is a bad solenoid that can be cured by tapping on it, pulling it and lubing it or replacing.....

Won't fire can be a CHT and fuel pressure bleed off.
TimT
Mike I have a "working" 3 pin box...

whatcha need a non working one for?
joeav8tor
possibly vapor lock...here is a procedure to do if it happens...you might want to relocate the fuel pump from its stock location to the front of your car...I believe it came in the relocated position from 1974 on.
Open the engine compartment lid.
Let the car sit for about 30 minutes without trying to start it.
After the 30 minutes are up, turn the key until you hear the fuel pump run but not enough to turn the engine over.
Turn the key to the off position again.
Turn the key until you hear the fuel pump again and hold it there for about 10 seconds.
Maybe do it again
Now attempt to start the engine.
The engine should start. http://www.autoatlanta.com/tech/fuel_pump_relo.html
good luck flag.gif
Joe
mxdude914
It won't fire it turns over very freely.
redshift
Also watch for tight valves... and loose ones, while we are talking about it.

M
mxdude914
the fuel pump is already relocated to the front.
Jacques
spank.gif Try a hard start relay

http://www.oldvolkshome.com/hardstart.pdf
Rand
I may catch flack for this, but... I say hard start relays are a hack. IMHO, the problems they solve are only masking the real problem.They are usually hacked in when the car won't crank. Mmxdude914 said his car cranks fine. So the problem is more likely to be fuel-supply related.
mxdude914
I know this maybe kinda out there but if the gas cap is kinda old and doesnt seal well could that be a problem, but still doesnt explain why only has the problem when its hot.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.