Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Part Number Needed Please CORRECT!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DaveO90s4
Hi all,

For a 1975 side shift transmission:

I'm trying to find out the part number for the 'nylon' bush that fits into the bracket that is mounted on the side of the gearbox and that the shift rod passes through (immediately ahead of the ball joint etc coupling at the rear).

I think - but am not fully confident - that the number is 914 424 234 00 'Friction ring'.

If anyone is able to confirm or advise the correct part number that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

DaveO
troth
I’m seeing 91442422402. That’s number 29 on this picture.

Click to view attachment
cary
I second that ................
https://900designs.zoeysite.com/transmission-mount-bushing-1
dr914@autoatlanta.com
and if loose in the housing when installing, you will have to epoxy it in. Believe it or not the plastic bushing over the years wears out the housing hole
Dave_Darling
It also wears the section of rod that slides through it. See Clay's post last week about the one from his wife's ~400K mile car.

It doesn't take 400K miles to wear the shift rod, either. Dirt getting into the bushing will do it in far fewer miles.

--DD
Mikey914
Another reason to keep the bellows on it.
https://900designs.zoeysite.com/rubber-bell...cover-1973-1976
rhodyguy
Any thing happen with #s 8&9?
DaveO90s4
Alas Gentlemen - no that part Number you have advised does not appear to be correct. I think that part number is for the larger bush that sits in the firewall. The bush I am after is the one that guides the shift rod through the bracket on the side of the gearbox. I can not find this particular bush shown or referenced on PET.

Any more suggestions.

If I can't get one this week (Australia) I'll turn one myself from a block of Delrin.

Cheers

DaveO
jcd914
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jun 26 2018, 12:08 AM) *

Alas Gentlemen - no that part Number you have advised does not appear to be correct. I think that part number is for the larger bush that sits in the firewall. The bush I am after is the one that guides the shift rod through the bracket on the side of the gearbox. I can not find this particular bush shown or referenced on PET.

Any more suggestions.

If I can't get one this week (Australia) I'll turn one myself from a block of Delrin.

Cheers

DaveO

Dave,
Why do you think that 914 424 224 02 is incorrect?
My Google search show this listed as the rear shift rod bushing by 914rubber, Stoddard and Pelican Parts.
And the bushings listed by Auto Atlanta, Rock Auto, ECS Tuning and even Amazon match but don't specifically say rear.

Three list it specifically as the rear shift rod bushing and all the pictures look correct for the part.

Jim

DaveO90s4
... because when I went to the porsche dealership to collect that item in the plastic bag with that part number it was too big.

Of course my 'wrong' comment could possibly apply to the wrong part in the wrong bag!!

I'll try that part number again with a different porsche dealership.

Thanks as always gents

Dave
Porschef
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jun 26 2018, 03:08 AM) *

Alas Gentlemen

Any more suggestions.

Cheers

DaveO

I think this may be your best course of action. Easy enough. I have measurements to do the same, but all will be slightly different depending on wear. I believe this last bushing creates occasional 1st engagement on my car.

Best of luck beerchug.gif
falcor75
If you have the possibility to make it yourself then I wouldnt hesitate. You'll get a better fit and can adjust the part to your bracket and shift rod .
troth
QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jun 26 2018, 04:58 AM) *

... because when I went to the porsche dealership to collect that item in the plastic bag with that part number it was too big.

Of course my 'wrong' comment could possibly apply to the wrong part in the wrong bag!!

I'll try that part number again with a different porsche dealership.

Thanks as always gents

Dave

How big is too big? Is it shaped like a crown with a few tabs on it?

I also thought mine was a little big at first. I think I remember boiling it to soften it up so I could get it to fit.
maf914
You could try the brass version:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-914-Brass-...y4AAOxyZqhRgi94

Or various plastic versions:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...amp;_sacat=6000
dr914@autoatlanta.com
the 91442422402 is the rear crown bushing for all 73-76 914 models and fits in the rear oval shift console. When the shift console is not worn it pops in with some lithium grease and a rubber hammer

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 26 2018, 12:56 AM) *

QUOTE(DaveO90s4 @ Jun 26 2018, 12:08 AM) *

Any more suggestions.

Cheers

DaveO

Dave,
Why do you think that 914 424 224 02 is incorrect?
My Google search show this listed as the rear shift rod bushing by 914rubber, Stoddard and Pelican Parts.
And the bushings listed by Auto Atlanta, Rock Auto, ECS Tuning and even Amazon match but don't specifically say rear.

Three list it specifically as the rear shift rod bushing and all the pictures look correct for the part.

Jim
Dave_Darling
Post up a photo of what you got. We should be able to tell you if it's the right part or not.

--DD
Porschef
I should have said, "creates occasional 1st gear engagement issues with my car..
DaveO90s4
Thank you all for your input.

I am now convinced that the part I looked at was in a wrongly labelled packet and that everyone here is correct that the part number is 914 424 224 02.

Not a one to be had in Australia. $18 ex Stuttgart would be here in about 10 days. (I am so sick of not being able to buy stuff readily in this country, and when I can get stuff it is so overpriced!. Rant over. For now anyway!)

I'll put the shaft back in with the slightly flogged bush to get me going, and will either make one or buy one as a long term fix.

Many thanks again to everyone,

Cheers

DaveO

Larmo63
I only use the bronze bearing here.

I have an extra one somewhere, I bought two, but they are available on eBay.

My $.02
Dave_Darling
Here is the factory part:

IPB Image

Picked (almost!) at random by sticking the part number into http://images.google.com

--DD
Mikey914
Thats not the facory part. The OEM dosent have serrated interior flange.

Mine does to make rasier to install.

Perhaps the factory changed to emulate my part?

Or URO knocked off another part of mine.

https://shop.914rubber.com/91442422403-late...m?categoryId=-1

Mikey914
Yes I can see they did, but mine is still less expensive.
By aboit 40%

This is what the factory riginally made.
DaveO90s4
The critical thing about any such bush is its dimensions, ID, OD and possibly depth. I have yet to see any supplier of these parts include that critical information with their product description. A photo / image can only be indicative at best without that info.

And without that info. it is very hard to know that a part shown in a picture is the correct part.

The ID needs to be 15mm. (I do not know the OD, because for me to know that I'd have to remove the slightly flogged bush and that would break it, and then I would have no options possibility of 'making do' until I get / make the required bush).

MIkey 914 - I have compared the photos you have posted above with the link you also posted to your website. To add to my confusion I believe (rightly or wrongly) that the image you have posted is that of the firewall bushing (914 424 224 03 according to your site). That is not the bushing I am talking about. I am talking about the very rear most bushing (914 424 224 02 according to your website - $2.90). It is my view that Porsche did make this 914 424 224 02 part with the serrated engagement teeth, as per part ref 29 in the picture above and as per my 30+ yr old flogged bush in my car. Can you do me a favour - measure the ID of your 914 424 224 02 part and report back. If it is 15mm or very close thereto I'll buy a couple.

Thanks
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 27 2018, 01:01 PM) *

Thats not the facory part. The OEM dosent have serrated interior flange.

That has been the factory part for the last 20 years. The part I got from the dealer in the 1990s looked exactly like the one I posted (which is why I started calling it the "castle bushing"). Yours actually seems to have deeper slices than I remember, which would make it easier to install.

The second pic that you post looks more like the firewall bushing to me.

My guess is that the factory changed the part some time between the 70s and the 90s, and that you arrived at the same design for the same reasons they did... Either that, or you are mistaken about the original part. wink.gif (Which I don't think happens very often...)

--DD
Jonathan Livesay
Is this what you want?
https://shop.914rubber.com/Late-side-shifte...p3plqscsfapp005
Firewall bushing 914.424.224.03
Sideshifter console bushing 914.424.224.02
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.