Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP A few problems with replacing rear brake pads on original /6.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
So I was helping Sandy with his original /6 yesterday , we put new Porterfield pads on his car.

Fronts are easy, however the rear I ended up putting the stock pads back on due to a few reasons:

Large diameter pins wouldn't fit into new pads, options:

Grind down pins or drill/mill the backing plate for larger diameter? Easy options, just not sure which is preferred.

The bigger problem was that when retracting pistons for new pads which are about 1/8" wider due to being new we started to leak a lot of fluid and I got nervous if something like a seal was being damaged while screwing out the outer allen key?

So, is it okay to keep turning the screw to make room for the new pads and then once the .008" clearance is achieved just tighten the 13mm nut with no more leaks?

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
SirAndy
I know nothing about stock rear brakes but i have always just pushed the pistons back by hand (or clamps if the pistons are sticky) when replacing brake pads.

Not sure why you would need to turn the adjuster if all you want is for the pistons to retract.
confused24.gif

PS: Do *not* grind down the original /6 pad pins! They don't make them anymore ...
Mueller
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jun 25 2018, 01:35 PM) *

I know nothing about stock rear brakes but i have always just pushed the pistons back by hand (or clamps if the pistons are sticky) when replacing brake pads.

Not sure why you would need to turn the adjuster if all you want is for the pistons to retract.
confused24.gif

PS: Do *not* grind down the original /6 pad pins! They don't make them anymore ...

I was afraid of breaking something by squeezing the pistons back in.

So the adjusters are just for fine tuning the gap and I can manually push the pistons back into the bores without damaging anything?

I'll modify the brake pads instead of the pins!

Thanks.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 25 2018, 01:39 PM) *
So the adjusters are just for fine tuning the gap and I can manually push the pistons back into the bores without damaging anything?

Like i said, i know nothing about stock brakes ...
huh.gif
11tenths
Those rear /6 adjusters can be troublesome- please read Eric's (PMB) articles on retracting the pistons, which are captured by the threaded adjusters. The outsides are easily accessed, the insides- not so much. An extension and socket through the trailing arm is neccesary, and you may even have to use an air power ratchet burst w00t.gif to overcome the 'stiction' of a reluctant adjuster.

Please search for Eric Shea's description of this procedure, which is how I learned of it.

And remember the two adjusters work opposite each other for creating clearance.

Good luck. - Harry
914Sixer
11tenths is correct about moving pistons back. You will have to drill hole to make pin fit. Rear pads are used on lots of European cars.
Luke M
The pad/pin issue has been around for as long as I can recall.
You have to drill out the hole in the brake pads that take the larger pins.
Problem fixed that way. I've been doing it that way on 6's since the late 80's.
Then you adjust the pad drag on the calipers. Remove the adjustment covers, use an allen wrench to adjust pads , re-install caps and done.
11tenths
I believe this 36min video from PMB is where I learned of the rear adjuster's unique properties;

go to the list on the left side of Eric's site and click 'Videos", drop down to the second one.

Also Armando's terrific site;

http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/factory_origin...s_calipers_rear

Cheers- Harry
sbsix
Drill the pads to fit the pins. It works and it’s easy.

I had new rear brake pins turned out of stainless steel rod many years ago and they’re still in perfect condition. A friend did the job for me at his machine shop. The rods came from McMaster. I wish I could remember the diameter to tell you.
ClayPerrine
I also want to add something...

The venting clearance in the book is way too big. If you cut it in half to .004, you still get enough clearance for the brakes to function correctly, and the park brake works better.
jcd914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 25 2018, 03:31 PM) *

The venting clearance in the book is way too big. If you cut it in half to .004, you still get enough clearance for the brakes to function correctly, and the park brake works better.

agree.gif

It is not unusual to leak some brake fluid while turning the adjusters to retract the pistons or even when just simply adjusting the venting clearance.

It should not continue to leak after you tighten the lock nut.

Jim
No
Mueller
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jun 25 2018, 05:22 PM) *

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jun 25 2018, 03:31 PM) *

agree.gif

It is not unusual to leak some brake fluid while turning the adjusters to retract the pistons or even when just simply adjusting the venting clearance.

It should not continue to leak after you tighten the lock nut.

Jim
No

Thanks all....

Will watch the video later on. Sandy ordered new rotors today...his current rotors didn't look that good, lots of embedded metal or something was just off on them.

Thanks.
Amphicar770
I had to use the air power burst on one if my stuck adjusters. Used a butterfly impact wrench. While 18v Milwaukee has replaced most if my air powered tools this required air. It's not about torque but rather the immediate burst of rpm.
rgalla9146
This is an interesting discussion.
In my experience if an adjuster didn't move a piston you could spin it at one RPM
or 9000 RPM and nothing happened. The clutch devise simply could not overcome the resistance of the piston to move.
When I had such a problem I would lever the piston in while turning the adjuster.
This would usually free the piston and allow pad installation and adjustment.
Flushing and bleeding afterward is a good idea.
I've never heard of using a power tool to turn the adjusters.
Mueller
Got passanger side rear brakes done.

No inside (near trailing arm) adjuster on drivers side inside caliper half

Piston does not want to go in...no way to screw it in or out..
jcd914
QUOTE(Mueller @ Jul 8 2018, 07:41 PM) *

You can pull the adjuster from the passenger side caliper and use it to adjust the driver side caliper.
They tend to stick on the end of the allen used for adjustment and get lost.

I problably have an extra, I'll look.

Jim
bdstone914
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 8 2018, 11:40 PM) *

You can pull the adjuster from the passenger side caliper and use it to adjust the driver side caliper.

Jim

agree.gif Good idea. But is it the inner out outer adjustment screw? One has an allan head and jam nut. The other has a replacable gear.
jcd914
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 9 2018, 06:15 AM) *

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 8 2018, 11:40 PM) *

Jim

agree.gif Good idea. But is it the inner out outer adjustment screw? One has an allan head and jam nut. The other has a replacable gear.

I took the "No inside (near trailing arm) adjuster" to mean the inside adjuster gear that has to be accessed through the trailing arm.
I was fairly common to have cars missing 1 or both, I used to keep a spare in my tool box to use as a tool.

Jim

Mueller
I was too beat to remove the adjuster gear from the good caliper so we just threw in the old pads on the drivers side, I know not ideal but it was a long day!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.