Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT -6 style exhaust hanger
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Retroracer
Sharing this mini-project with the group. (Viewers should be warned that while the fabrication skills used herein are entirely amateur, no air cooled parts where harmed in the making of this thread).

So my GT-like retro build uses Bursch headers and a 911 Dansk "banana" muffler. When getting the car on the road last year, I fabbed up a temporary bracket based on the -4 support, which seemed OK (and got it running!) but did not really support the weight of the muffler. Looking at what the original GT's did - using the most excellent PBASE GT site as a reference source - revealed that a bracket was listed on the homologation material. The bracket looks like this:

Click to view attachment

Getting my head around how the bracket ties in with the straps and the gearbox mounts, I realized that these were designed back in the day for tail shift transmissions. Nice symmetrical design. Which is fine, but I have a sideshift, so would have to adjust the approach if I was going to fab my own (the side shift tail housing has offset mounting bolts compared to the tail shift version).

Started off by establishing a centerline on the muffler, marking out where the straps would fit. Then by bolting up the original hanger I made, I could figure out where the transmission bolts would end up relative to everything:

Click to view attachment

You can see one of the muffler straps (sourced from Pelican) in the photo. You can also get an idea of the offset need on the holes too. Next was to get into some CAD - or Cardboard Aided Design, as the Project Binky lads say - to figure out what the bracket would like like:

Click to view attachment

Retroracer
In the spirit of recycling, I used some material I cut out to make the GT decklid to fab the main bracket, with some 1" steel angle to make the support edge (which sits under the welded sealing "lip" of the muffler):

Click to view attachment

..and the angle material was drilled and plug welded on:

Click to view attachment

..then cut to the right depth using the trusty DeWalt angle grinder. One thing I realized then was that it might be good to get access to the speedo drive securing bolt, so added an access hole, which ended up being rather close to the lower cut out; if I was doing it again I'd adjust this, but I am going with this now:

Click to view attachment
Retroracer
Then out with the vice and the hammers to get the required bends in (note to self: buy a decent metal brake) then some paint prep and high temp rattle can black, and the bracket is pretty much there:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mounting everything up went OK, but "deforming" the clamps to conform to the muffler profile was a pain. These clamps are stainless and are super stiff and did NOT want to get bullied into tightening up with the bolts they shipped with - I had to go to the hardware store to get longer metric bolts that worked. That said, I'm pretty pleased with the results and the look:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

...and it ended up nice and symmetrical.

- Tony
sixnotfour
i have both the GT mount and quick release clamps
Retroracer
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jun 25 2018, 04:14 PM) *

i have both the GT mount and quick release clamps

Good to know! Presumably you mean for sale....? How much do you charge for the quick release clamps?

- Tony
Steve
If you don’t have the talent or tools to do this mb911 on this forum makes them.
mepstein
QUOTE(Steve @ Jun 25 2018, 07:24 PM) *

If you don’t have the talent or tools to do this mb911 on this forum makes them.

$50. But 2 stainles clamps from McMaster-Carr for $20 and you’re set.
914-6werkshop.com
Retroracer
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 25 2018, 05:52 PM) *

914-6werkshop.com

Thanks for the pointer. The Pelican clamps I chose were slightly cheaper than the McMaster ones.

Also - the brackets you show in the photo don't work with the set up as described. I know because I tried one (you can see it at the top of the frame in the second photo). Not trying to be negative on what mb911 is offering, but did influence me (in a good way!) to make up my own solution,

- Tony
mb911
QUOTE(Retroracer @ Jun 25 2018, 05:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 25 2018, 05:52 PM) *

914-6werkshop.com

Thanks for the pointer. The Pelican clamps I chose were slightly cheaper than the McMaster ones.

Also - the brackets you show in the photo don't work with the set up as described. I know because I tried one (you can see it at the top of the frame in the second photo). Not trying to be negative on what you're offering, but did influence me (in a good way!) to make up my own solution,

- Tony

My mounts are very simple and more of a design around my products then anything. The dansk/stock mufflers are shaped a bit different and what Tony has done here really is a nice solution for that style muffler..

I am sure Tony would agree there is a ton on man hours into making that mount which you can tell from his wonderful outcome.
gereed75
Laughing - as soon as I saw your CAD drawing I thought of Project Binky before I read your text. Nice job!!
Dave_Darling
You might wind up needing to re-tighten the clamps as the bracket forms more closely around the muffler. Keep an eye on that.

--DD
Retroracer
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jun 26 2018, 05:25 PM) *

You might wind up needing to re-tighten the clamps as the bracket forms more closely around the muffler. Keep an eye on that.

--DD

Yes, hoping it will deform more so I can use a shorter bolt. Will keep an eye out - thx Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.