Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brand new Dansk SSHE
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I currently have a very nice clean set of 1.7/1.8 SSHE with dual out tip Triad muffler.
I really like the sound of the Triad but I am considering selling these and getting the proper 2.0 SSHE - used or NOS are pulling some crazy prices and I see that AA has these but also another dansk supplier from up north(Canada) for about $1600usd.

my feeling is I may want another Triad but if I can come up with the $$ then SS one from chris foley would be cool ,

but really just looking to see if anyone has bought a set of these new ones and if so how do they fit etc.

- btw my original 75 hes are long gone -

Phil
rjames
QUOTE(Philip W. @ Jun 26 2018, 09:18 AM) *

I currently have a very nice clean set of 1.7/1.8 SSHE with dual out tip Triad muffler.
I really like the sound of the Triad but I am considering selling these and getting the proper 2.0 SSHE - used or NOS are pulling some crazy prices and I see that AA has these but also another dansk supplier from up north(Canada) for about $1600usd.

my feeling is I may want another Triad but if I can come up with the $$ then SS one from chris foley would be cool ,

but really just looking to see if anyone has bought a set of these new ones and if so how do they fit etc.

Phil

Used SSHE in good condition are usually priced between $400-$600.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
there are good used sets out there yes, dansk improved the upper and lower flanges so they seal better now, that was always a complaint. We currently have a very excellent set of used 2.0 exchangers on e bay, that are a lot less expensive than new

Personally I never liked the stainless steel, with the thin walls they were really noisy and that was compounded by the heat exchanger to head sealing problem. Of course now beggars cannot be choosers as factory originals are long nla

Phil
DRPHIL914
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 26 2018, 12:52 PM) *

there are good used sets out there yes, dansk improved the upper and lower flanges so they seal better now, that was always a complaint. We currently have a very excellent set of used 2.0 exchangers on e bay, that are a lot less expensive than new

Personally I never liked the stainless steel, with the thin walls they were really noisy and that was compounded by the heat exchanger to head sealing problem. Of course now beggars cannot be choosers as factory originals are long nla

Phil

George, I did see those listed, and I might consider a nice used set - I guess I didn't have to say stainless, as it would not have to be SS , I would consider the stock steal 2.0 HE.
mine are super clean and no leak issue but I can say they are a bit off on fit to the heat tubes- they are just a bit off on the alignment of the S tubes. I would hope a set of OE ones would fit better. .

Mblizzard
While the problems George pointed out are correct I will still recommend Stainless.

The sealing issues can be addressed by dressing the top of the pipes with a large flat file. I have had very good success in doing this. Annealing the copper exhaust rings also greatly increases the seal effectiveness. I always use new exhaust nuts.

Taking these steps pretty much eliminates the sealing issues and the increased durability of the stainless I think more than makes up for the short comings. Also I think they look better.
mepstein
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jun 27 2018, 01:10 PM) *

While the problems George pointed out are correct I will still recommend Stainless.

The sealing issues can be addressed by dressing the top of the pipes with a large flat file. I have had very good success in doing this. Annealing the copper exhaust rings also greatly increases the seal effectiveness. I always use new exhaust nuts.

Taking these steps pretty much eliminates the sealing issues and the increased durability of the stainless I think more than makes up for the short comings. Also I think they look better.

I think stainless are almost half the weight.
914_teener

Phil

Right now I have your setup and it works great. However...I always liked the stock exchanger"s for a lot of reasons.

I have a set of stock 2.0 and have disassembled the shells and then will be using two different entropic ceramic coatings on the applicable surfaces. I notion this to be around the same price as a new set of SSHE but will work better for heating/exhaust plus will be quieter. I will post the results when they are done......right now a lot of life is happening and that project is on hold until Winter of this year.

Good luck Phil.
914_teener
Oh....on the Dansk, last time I looked into it they only make the single out IIRC. I am unsure of the sound since I have never heard one in person.

I liked the look of the dual out. I still have my stock single out valance if I change my mind.
rhodyguy
How did you separate the halves?
914_teener
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 27 2018, 12:29 PM) *

How did you separate the halves?

Carefully and slowly. They are folded together with a single fold sheet metal hem and then stamped or staked.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.