Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: masking off car
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914 RZ-1
I'm getting ready to paint my car. I'm in the process of masking off the area behind the front trunk and the engine compartment, as well as the openings for the doors and roof. I am not painting the engine compartment or area where the fuel tank is located.

I'm using painter's tape and paper from Lowe's. I've just heard I should be using automotive tape. What's the difference?

I've watched some videos on masking, but the cars in the examples are not as complex as the areas I need to mask. I'm having a hard time getting the tape to stay. I'm back-taping, then cutting plastic or paper to fit and taping it from the front, but it's not as neat as I would like because it's impossible to get behind the tape to use my hand to flatten it. There are also too many curves and transitions.

Is it just a matter of patience, or are there tricks?

Any tips, sources, pictures, etc would be appreciated.
mb911
QUOTE(914 RZ-1 @ Jun 26 2018, 12:41 PM) *

I'm getting ready to paint my car. I'm in the process of masking off the area behind the front trunk and the engine compartment, as well as the openings for the doors and roof. I am not painting the engine compartment or area where the fuel tank is located.

I'm using painter's tape and paper from Lowe's. I've just heard I should be using automotive tape. What's the difference?

I've watched some videos on masking, but the cars in the examples are not as complex as the areas I need to mask. I'm having a hard time getting the tape to stay. I'm back-taping, then cutting plastic or paper to fit and taping it from the front, but it's not as neat as I would like because it's impossible to get behind the tape to use my hand to flatten it. There are also too many curves and transitions.

Is it just a matter of patience, or are there tricks?

Any tips, sources, pictures, etc would be appreciated.

Patience is key. Masked 20 or so cars in my life and each time learned a new trick. Use good tape.. Its not really that more expensive.
914 RZ-1
What kind of tape is considered "good tape"?

Patience is key. Masked 20 or so cars in my life and each time learned a new trick. Use good tape.. Its not really that more expensive.
76-914
Wherever you purchased the paint. They should have everything. Are you leaving the main Targa seals in place. If so you'll need some tape that has an edge you can slide under the seal and then pull it back slightly. I forget the name of the tape but it's the only way you can shoot beneath those type seals. beerchug.gif
914 RZ-1
Picture of taping job on front:
Click to view attachment
914 RZ-1
Closeup:
The transition is tough. Not sure where to put the tape.
Click to view attachment

Closer up:
The heavy plastic is falling away from the metal. I may have to pull it up and make sure it's super clean. Maybe I should use paper? All the videos used what appeared to be light-weight paper.
Click to view attachment
mb911
The problem with plastic is that the paint will dry and then pop off into the wet paint on what you just painted. 3m paint is what I use. From paint supply.. Typically the yellow tape.
mepstein
Go to an automotive paint store for the tape. Our paint guy will only use green. He won’t use yellow. I have know idea why but he said there is a difference. No way should you use house painting tape.
What Ben said on paper vs plastic.
Porschef
If you're looking for something that follows complex curves, go no further than black electrical tape. Then you can use whatever masking tape on top, then paint away...

Front yard mechanic
I use regular masking tape the blue stuff is for suckers 3/4 wide will run a curve in one stretch then tape over with paper in tow a small roll goes a long way or if your really tight news paper works great especially the comics section!
SirAndy
Put just tape around the edges first, that way you can make sure you get the lines right without having to worry about the paper.

When that's done, tape down the paper, overlapping with the already taped edges.

Much easier that way ...
shades.gif
rick 918-S
There is plastic designed for painting

Click to view attachment

Here is a quick tutorial on masking the area you are attempting. Use 2" tape like this.

Click to view attachment

Make the paper fit tight and smooth. No wrinkles. Wrinkles are dust traps. If you get one tape over it.

Click to view attachment

I use 3M automotive grade tape or American Brand.
Larmo63
^^^^Listen to Rick, he knows his shit^^^^ pray.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 26 2018, 02:43 PM) *

Go to an automotive paint store for the tape. Our paint guy will only use green. He won’t use yellow. I have know idea why but he said there is a difference. No way should you use house painting tape.
What Ben said on paper vs plastic.

Agree..use proper tape for automotive paint. Green automotive tape is designed for solvents and waterborne, blue tape is not so great anymore. "Depot" Blue tape tends to lift at the edge as the adhesive is made more for latex and "home" grade coatings. You will also have a greater chance of peeling your new finish or end up with a jagged mask line due to wicking under the edge line. The green or maroon "Depot" paper is also not a good choice. It will saturate with solvent and can bleed through. Automotive masking paper is a better barrier. "Depot" will work and its cost effective for prep/ primer/ sealers.

They do make a proper blue tape for automotive finishing but your best bet will be with green.

Try a little test with your wide blue you used. Clean the area to be taped with acetone or prep-sol. Let it dry and apply your tape. In 30 minutes or less if the tape lifts its just cheap tape. Take some acetone on a rag and wipe along the applied tape edge. In about 8 minutes if the edge curls up on you the paper in the tape is absorbing the solvent and softening the adhesive. (don't use thinner)

Try to use 3/4 or 1/2 inch at your starting paint lines, then inward use wider tape for securing paper or plastic sheeting. Narrower tape tends to follow contours easier than wide. Narrow tape at the paint line also tends to stay tacked flat once the solvent hits it. Wide tape on contours tends to want to straighten out and return to flat fighting you all the way.
mepstein
Jeff- thanks for explaining the green tape. I asked our guy and got - “because its better”.
mmichalik
I've painted cars for years, both in body shops and as a hobby and Rick and Jeff are both 100% correct.

3M automotive masking tape is what you want to use. I've never heard of the other brand that he mentioned but if he's using it, it can't be bad either.

It does cost more than the cheap stuff but, tape isn't where you want to try and save a buck. The good stuff works so much better.

Happy painting.
90quattrocoupe
There are a couple of tapes I like to use for edging. I have not found a whole lot of difference between them, but one is an edge lock. They seem to work well and one thing I like about them, is that they come off as single pieces vs some tape that rips when you try to remove it.
One is 3M #2080 Painters tape for delicate surfaces. The other is 3M #2080EL-SR. The El stands for edge lock and the SR stands for safe release. Both are low-medium adhesion.
Then when I am attaching the paper or plastic to the edge tape, I use the multi-surface cheap 3m stuff.

Another thing, to think about is overspray. I like using the shrink wrap to cover areas of the car. I also use this when working on a car. I can cover the front bumper or fender with this stuff and it cuts down on scratches to the paint.

Greg W.
aggiezig
As others have said....

-Use yellow automotive tape. 3M stuff can be had on amazon and it is about the same cost as the blue stuff. You won't believe how much easier it is to mask with this stuff. It sticks better, leaves no residue and is easy to work around curve. Get several different sizes.

-Tape the edge first, then tape your paper or plastic to the tape you laid down.

-If using plastic, when the paint dries it will flake up and possibly end up in your new paint.

-See if you can find a paper & tape roller. They are not too expensive (eastwood has one) and it automatically feeds the tape with the masking paper. Saves time and makes your life easier.

-Always re-mask between spray sessions if it's been more than a couple of days. Last thing you want to find out is that you blew up some dust or some tape came loose.

-When you go to paint - clean, clean and clean again even when you already think everything is clean. Use quality wax / grease remover, allow it to fully dry and use quality tack cloths. Spray the area using an unloaded spray gun and tack cloth at the same time to catch any dust, etc on the surface.

-Also, I personally prefer to use a vacuum to suck up dust instead of blowing away dust. You never know where it will land.

-When in doubt, search on youtube. There are some great videos out there full of good tips.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.