Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Porsche never had houndstooth seats
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Neat little article from Hagerty.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/art..._27_HagertyNews
Unobtanium-inc
It shows up on early Kardex's are Pepita.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Unobtanium-inc @ Jun 27 2018, 08:54 PM) *

It shows up on early Kardex's are Pepita.

Yep, in the article Pepita is what they say is the pattern is really called.
Houndstooth is a different pattern that was never offered from the factory. I always thought the pattern was called houndstooth.

euro911
The Houndstooth of the Baskervilles poke.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=/oBX_Q1NZkGw
gereed75
You want some Pepita? Here’s your Pepita
Mark Henry
QUOTE(gereed75 @ Jun 27 2018, 10:27 PM) *

You want some Pepita? Here’s your Pepita

I don't think that is Pepita or houndstooth, I believe it's called Vichy (Vichy check) and it's a negative of the pattern that's shown in the Hagarty article.

Got a close up of the pattern?
Mark Henry
Actually if you look at the article it looks a lot like the Recaro seat at the bottom where they call it "houndstooth", but say it's not the same as vintage houndstooth.
Mike Bellis
Didn't "houndstooth" come from Chevrolet?
Unobtanium-inc
Anyone who is interested in the roots or Reutter, later Recaro, should read this short history, I have some extra copies if anyone wants to borrow one. Fascinating read, and the pictures are really really cool.
Chris914n6
That article is a little screwy. Chevy houndstooth is the Space Invaders pattern and it's a little different than the European version.
Nobody in my world confused checkerboard with houndstooth.
I've never seen the windmill pattern on anything.
David Billo
I Googled "Houndstooth" and it seems it is essentially a broken checkerboard pattern. Whether somebody called it "Vichy check" or "shepherd's check" or "Pepita" or something else doesn't change that. Picture 5 in the article looks like an unbroken checkerboard though. It doesn't look the same as the Pepita in Unobtanium-inc's picture.
Mark Henry
I'm sure I've heard it called houndstooth a few times and I thought that's what it was called. I'm thinking it just a generic name some use.

I admit I've never really never paid attention, as the pattern, white and cloth car seats isn't my cup of tea. I build engines, some would say obsessive about them, but honestly that obsession has never carried over to the difference in years, options or the brand of nut on a hood latch and the exact way it was clocked from the factory.

I'd be a poor choice as a concours judge, but I'm OK with that. smile.gif
David Billo
Some more Gargling:
"Pepita" shows up as a Spanish word that means either "nugget" or "seed".
But I got one link for the word in a German-English dictionary that translates it as "shepherd's check" or "shepherd's plaid", which I had already seen as an alternative name for houndstooth.
https://www.dict.cc/german-english/Pepita.html

So IMO, the premise of the article, that Porsche never used houndstooth, is wrong. They did, but they called it by another name, pepita.
worn
QUOTE(David Billo @ Jun 28 2018, 05:58 AM) *

Some more Gargling:
"Pepita" shows up as a Spanish word that means either "nugget" or "seed".
But I got one link for the word in a German-English dictionary that translates it as "shepherd's check" or "shepherd's plaid", which I had already seen as an alternative name for houndstooth.
https://www.dict.cc/german-english/Pepita.html

So IMO, the premise of the article, that Porsche never used houndstooth, is wrong. They did, but they called it by another name, pepita.

agree.gif A houndstooth by any other name would sit as well.
jcd914
I took the premise of the article as, Porsche never used the pattern Recaro considers to be Houndstooth.

Per the article Porsche used a pattern that is more of a checker board of light and dark and called it "Pepita". And that this pattern has been incorrectly called Houndstooth by many over the years.

But what I thought their point was is that Porsche never used the "windmill" like or "dogs tooth" like patterns that are also referred to as Houndstooth.

What was teh pattern Porsche used? I don't know and like Mark those type details don't stick with me, so I could have sat in or worked on tons of Porsches with Pepita seats and still would know what it was.

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.