Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: E Brake Handle removal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dakotaewing
I need to remove the e-brake handle and cables... I can't figure out how to remove the pins that hold the cable to the handle, or the handle to the long without either bending or breaking something, or using a drill bit...
Any help would be appreciated...
Its late here, so I will check back in the AM....
Thanks -

Thom
SirAndy
one bolt on the handle, the ebrake cables will just slide out the "hooks" once the handle is off the long ...

smash.gif Andy

PS: as described also in your Haynes Manual, page 116, #17 and #18
dakotaewing
Andy,
Thanks for the reply -
I looked in the Haynes manual before I posted this question to the board, and found the sections you are refering to -

The first issue I had was I could not remove the locking clip from the pin... In fact I couldn't find the clip - just a pin...
Secoundly, there is not a bolt where the handle rotates... There is a bolt under where the handle rotates that goes into the long that I removed...

There is a pin that the handle rotates on that looks as if it is being held by a plastic bushing...
I don't know if it matters, but this is a 74 shell-

I am refribishing this tub, and I want to remove the handle if it won't cause huge headaches...

Thanks,

Thom
JWest
The pin may be rusted in place - quite common. As Andy said, get the handle off so you can take it to the bench with the short cable still attached.

Yes, the bolt is not at the pivot, it holds the rachet in place which indirectly keeps the handle on the pivot. Once you remove that bolt the handle can come off - but it is often not easy due to rust and deformation of the plastic bushing.
dakotaewing
James,
Do I force the handle off once the bolt is removed? It does appear that the plastic bushing was designed to actually keep the handle from coming off the pin....

Thom
JWest
QUOTE (dakotaewing @ Jun 13 2005, 08:33 AM)
James,
Do I force the handle off once the bolt is removed? It does appear that the plastic bushing was designed to actually keep the handle from coming off the pin....

Thom

The bushing stays with the handle when it comes off - there is probably rust on the pivot shaft making it tight - force it off. smash.gif
dakotaewing
Cool -
Thanks for the clarification -

Thom
SirAndy
yupp, just take a big screw driver and pry it off. use some penetrating oil on the pivot.
should slide right off ...

smash.gif Andy
tommy914
I feel your pain.

I replaced my handle a while back, and was glad I didn't have to worry about tearing it up.

I had to pry it off the post, and then drill out the pin holding the brake cables.

I believe the pin holding the cables was NLA, but my Friendly Local Porsche Mechanic (FLPM) found a piece which I believe was the clutch cable holder (at the pedal cluster) that worked in it's place.

dakotaewing
Hey guys -
Thanks for the help - I started the prying off this morning, but had to leave for work before the deed was done -
I'll put some penetrating oil on it before I continue -

Tommy - Are you going to make it to the MUSR this year? The gang would love to see you there -

Thom
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.