Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help with 300 KPH speedometer please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JB Racing
Hello all,

I need help with a part I have please being a 300 KPH speedometer with a part no of
914 641 504 30 which according to the Porsche PET catalogue is for a 914 1800 cc up to 2000 cc models from 1970 - 1973 year.

Either someone has changed the face on this gauge and made it a 300 KPH one or Porsche were dreaming on that day thinking a 914 with this size engine was going to get anywhere near the 300 KPH mark.

Any and all help and advice will be greatly appreciated

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
porschetub
Appears not to look like a 914 speedo ,looks like a chrome besel the 914 one is black,face isn't correct also.
I have a euro metric speedo and it is maxed @ 250km/hr,out of intersest where did you find the part #???
914forme
186 MPH if you have the balls to get a 914 there, I can tell you several ways to do it.

Now back to the speedo itself.

Depending on where you pulled the PN from it has many a possibility. You most likely have a 914 can. The lip was painted to make the silver bezel look so many desire. confused24.gif You can tell by the overspray on the can. It has an aftermarket face on it, as the original VDO dials, put the 300 KPH at the bottom of the dail, in the 6 o'clock position if looking at it like a clock face. There is a company in Australia that produces the 300 KPH speed face to retrofit into the gauge. Their 300 is in the position of yours, they do this by moving the needle on the speed and the starting point on the gauge. As long as your not hitting the stops in the swing your good to go.

For reference this is what the period correct 911 300 Kph Speedo looks like

Click to view attachment

Note the needle stop as long as the scale matches in degrees from the scale your putting the face on your good to to go. If not you have to change the gearing in the speedo mechanism, or in the transmission that drives the speedo cable.

BTW, this speed was still optimistic for the 911 at that time. The 1975 930 Turbo would only get to a factory top speed of 251 Kph, 266kph was the factory top speed. In the 80s they could have gone faster, but where limited back to 250Kph.

So as long as it is functional run it the way it is, all speedos are optimistic in cars. Someone wanted to make people think the car was capable of that speed, or it was a easy way to build a true KPH speedo. If it is accurate I would run it. I would clean up the bezel a bit and make it black or purchase the rings to do it in Aluminum.

In the US we had 120 MPH and 150MPh speedos, that latter was also somewhat of a dream. But with more power and the proper aerodynamics and transmission gearing, and tires, and nerves of steel then anything is possible.

You don't happen to have a matching 10K Tachometer do you?

BTW welcome.png
914forme
BTW so you know the 300 Kph speedo was use in the Carrera RS and is worth some dollars if it was a real one. Thus the reason to ask if you have the matching Tachometer, both in excellent condition are worth a bunch of money.

If that is the case, sell them as is, the damage is all ready done with the paint so the purchaser can get them properly restored by a company that knows how these things work. shades.gif

It would go a long way to purchase the proper parts and then some. But if you want, I would gladly trade you the proper restored set for your car. Tach and Speedo, and I am feeling generous today, I'll pay for shipping both ways. laugh.gif

Carry on best of luck, and again welcome to the wonderful world of Porsche 914 ownership.
914forme
headbang.gif

Picture of your car would help us identify it's history a bit.

mepstein
Part numbers for gauges are at the top, on tha gauge face, under the lip of the bezel. You should be able to see them by looking through the glass at an angle.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 29 2018, 06:31 AM) *

Part numbers for gauges are at the top, on tha gauge face, under the lip of the bezel. You should be able to see them by looking through the glass at an angle.

agree.gif

There should be a part number on the face itself, which will tell you where it came from.
smile.gif
tazz9924
QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 29 2018, 05:57 AM) *

186 MPH if you have the balls to get a 914 there, I can tell you several ways to do it.

Now back to the speedo itself.

Depending on where you pulled the PN from it has many a possibility. You most likely have a 914 can. The lip was painted to make the silver bezel look so many desire. confused24.gif You can tell by the overspray on the can. It has an aftermarket face on it, as the original VDO dials, put the 300 KPH at the bottom of the dail, in the 6 o'clock position if looking at it like a clock face. There is a company in Australia that produces the 300 KPH speed face to retrofit into the gauge. Their 300 is in the position of yours, they do this by moving the needle on the speed and the starting point on the gauge. As long as your not hitting the stops in the swing your good to go.

For reference this is what the period correct 911 300 Kph Speedo looks like

Note the needle stop as long as the scale matches in degrees from the scale your putting the face on your good to to go. If not you have to change the gearing in the speedo mechanism, or in the transmission that drives the speedo cable.

BTW, this speed was still optimistic for the 911 at that time. The 1975 930 Turbo would only get to a factory top speed of 251 Kph, 266kph was the factory top speed. In the 80s they could have gone faster, but where limited back to 250Kph.

So as long as it is functional run it the way it is, all speedos are optimistic in cars. Someone wanted to make people think the car was capable of that speed, or it was a easy way to build a true KPH speedo. If it is accurate I would run it. I would clean up the bezel a bit and make it black or purchase the rings to do it in Aluminum.

In the US we had 120 MPH and 150MPh speedos, that latter was also somewhat of a dream. But with more power and the proper aerodynamics and transmission gearing, and tires, and nerves of steel then anything is possible.

You don't happen to have a matching 10K Tachometer do you?

BTW welcome.png

I bet that mechanical speedo would make one hell of a noise at 300k’s an hour lol-2.gif
JB Racing
Thanks for all the help and info guys it is honestly greatly appreciated. The part no we got of the actual gauge itself so I am pretty sure it means at some stage someone has changed the face on it.

To all who asked I don't have a 10 000 RPM tach or a genuine 300 KPH speedo, I have had a few over the years as I buy and sell Porsche parts here in South Africa and have one on the biggest collections of parts here, not much in the way of 914 parts as they weren't a very common car here. I did used to own a barn find 914 1700 cc which had been stored for nearly 20 years, as mentioned not a common car at all here so was considered a good find and was sold to someone that restored it.

Once again huge thanks to all you replied
stevend914
QUOTE(JB Racing @ Jun 30 2018, 12:49 AM) *

Thanks for all the help and info guys it is honestly greatly appreciated. The part no we got of the actual gauge itself so I am pretty sure it means at some stage someone has changed the face on it.

To all who asked I don't have a 10 000 RPM tach or a genuine 300 KPH speedo, I have had a few over the years as I buy and sell Porsche parts here in South Africa and have one on the biggest collections of parts here, not much in the way of 914 parts as they weren't a very common car here. I did used to own a barn find 914 1700 cc which had been stored for nearly 20 years, as mentioned not a common car at all here so was considered a good find and was sold to someone that restored it.

Once again huge thanks to all you replied

I owned a '71 (?) 1.7 when I worked in South Africa back in '79-'80. It was orange. I lived in Kinross.
walterolin
My son in law's father owns Speedy Quip in PE, and on a visit two years ago I came across a 1970 in Martini colors in George.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.