Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How remove stock push rod tips?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjs3rd914
Ok so what is the trick to remove the tips from the stock AL push rods?

Thanks

jjs3rd914

peteyd
QUOTE(jjs3rd914 @ Jun 29 2018, 06:25 AM) *

Ok so what is the trick to remove the tips from the stock AL push rods?

Thanks

jjs3rd914

Why do you want to remove the tips? The stock ones are not meant to come apart. If you want to make custom length push rods you are going to need a set of these. There are plenty of suppliers that have them, this was just a quick google search

https://vwparts.aircooled.net/Bugpack-3-8-C...of-8-p/4053.htm

here's a quick vid of me cutting mine to length

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-TJxlE7Ck

Pete
jjs3rd914
Sorry it appears I have a mistaken understanding that stock push rods could be shortened and to do so the tips had to be removed so I though. I will post a separate thread on a question regarding the geometry procedure.

I'm just starting my rocker geometry checks.

I do have an adjustable push rod and was hoping that I could use unmodified stock rods from several old stock sets if it was at the right length. They seem to vary by several mm's. If I cannot find a correct size and I have to shorten, I thought it could be done. Of course if I need one much longer and its not in my set then yes I need to buy a cut to fit set.

Thanks
jjs3rd914
Mark Henry
So what have you changed to need shorter pushrods?

You can't remove tips, I imagine if you're good with a lathe you could undercut the tip and hammer the tip in further. Never done this so it's totally at your own risk.

If you are using 1.7 rockers and 911 adjuster I say do it right and use real CrMo pushrods like the Manton. Not something you want to cheap out on.
I tried the cheap steel pushrods (like EMPI) and bent them like a pretzel. BTDT 25+ years ago.
worn
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jun 29 2018, 08:32 AM) *

So what have you changed to need shorter pushrods?

You can't remove tips, I imagine if you're good with a lathe you could undercut the tip and hammer the tip in further. Never done this so it's totally at your own risk.

If you are using 1.7 rockers and 911 adjuster I say do it right and use real CrMo pushrods like the Manton. Not something you want to cheap out on.
I tried the cheap steel pushrods (like EMPI) and bent them like a pretzel. BTDT 25+ years ago.

agree.gif I did however cut a stock pushrod in half to put a threaded stud in so as to construct my own adjustable rod - doing the kind of thing you are doing. Then I bought the CrMo cut to size rods and made my own length. In the end It wasn't much different than stock in length and the original pushrod I cut up was tough stuff.
nditiz1
I had the stock rods shortened for my intakes by about 1-2mm. Had the guy out in CA do them that clearanced the rockers for the 10mm bus swivel adjusters. He did just that and cut them before the tip and hammered them further in.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.