Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NOS back pad Light Now on Ebay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Mike Fitton
I have sold some really nice used back pad lights for $150- $165 but I have never seen a NOS with an original box for sale. Any idea on what this is worth because I am going to list it for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Porsche-914-In...la/273334015199

Click to view attachment
mepstein
If it was mine $300-350. Maybe more.
Not less.
rhodyguy
What ever the market will bear.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
The silver 916 needs one!

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jun 29 2018, 01:29 PM) *

I have sold some really nice used back pad lights for $150- $165 but I have never seen a NOS with an original box for sale. Any idea on what this is worth because I am going to list it for sale.

Click to view attachment

mepstein
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 29 2018, 06:09 PM) *

The silver 916 needs one!

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jun 29 2018, 01:29 PM) *

In that case.
Ed_Turbo
$30 + a hug laugh.gif

-Ed
Front yard mechanic
The box is worth more than the light
Amphicar770
For this one, evilbay is likely your best option.
Mike Fitton
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jun 29 2018, 05:33 PM) *

You may be right on this one. I will list it on Ebay and post a link here.
Coondog
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jun 29 2018, 08:03 PM) *

Why don’t you put a $300.00 price on it and see if a member bits before you put it out to the world....... poke.gif
Coondog

One just like yours sold on this site last month for $ 300.00. I should know !!!
Because I bought it, box and all..... smile.gif
914Next
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jun 29 2018, 11:03 PM) *

That's disappointing Mike. There are a few here that would be very interested to have you name a price...however high you feel you need to make it ....before this nice piece goes outside the World. Hell, just start very high and lower the price until someone snags it.

Ah well...

iankarr
List in on ebay as a Stück Leuchte. without reserve. I'm sure sooomeoooonne will find it and make a bid wink.gif.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
It needs to go to a worthy car though.

I have many many many not 914 parts here including seats and carpets and door panels. They too must find a worthy 914. That is what the parts were made for, to be installed on a car. Would be different if there were thousands of them, then we could just display them for fun, but the fact that there are so many worthy cars, that for example, may need a piece of factory original carpeting, as theirs is bad, means that one (me for instance) should feel obligated to sell it, knowing that needs, and, if need be, approve the car you are selling it for.

If you knew that your interior light was going to be installed into a 916, what higher use could you imagine for it?

When reassembling Brutus the 916, I was honored several times to be able to install some of our stock of NOS parts in and on the car. It deserved them!!!!
TJB/914
Hi Mike,

I feel your pain, it's a tough 914 crowd. biggrin.gif

I can't even get rid of a pair of (some rust) "free" doors. huh.gif

I think the buy price is $200 + -?

Tom

eric9144
Auction style bid it in the FS section and let the interested parties call highest price, there are a few people who probably want it pretty bad. beer3.gif stirthepot.gif
TheCabinetmaker
Eric, you might want to read the classifieds rules. Auction sales are not permitted
rgalla9146
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 30 2018, 10:51 AM) *

It needs to go to a worthy car though.

I have many many many not 914 parts here including seats and carpets and door panels. They too must find a worthy 914. That is what the parts were made for, to be installed on a car. Would be different if there were thousands of them, then we could just display them for fun, but the fact that there are so many worthy cars, that for example, may need a piece of factory original carpeting, as theirs is bad, means that one (me for instance) should feel obligated to sell it, knowing that needs, and, if need be, approve the car you are selling it for.

If you knew that your interior light was going to be installed into a 916, what higher use could you imagine for it?

When reassembling Brutus the 916, I was honored several times to be able to install some of our stock of NOS parts in and on the car. It deserved them!!!!

WOW ! How noble.
Mike just give it to George. He's got the car that deserves it. dry.gif
What a prince.
Amphicar770
I suspect that if you list it on ebvilbay, those willing to pay top dollar will all have "deserving" cars. Few people with a $1,500 dollar rust bucket will pay $300 for a backlight.
burton73
Some people may be parts collector’s. That part in 10 years may be worth a fortune?
Look at old toys in their original boxes. This is a chance to start a collection?

For a concourse 914 guy this would have been grabbed up. Some people just do not care.

Bob B
Tom_T
Or maybe have just PM'ed him directly to put in our resto to do it period correct!
;-)

PS Mike - I'd PMed you a couple of times last week on this item, and hopefully you've seen them.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Amphicar770
QUOTE(burton73 @ Jul 1 2018, 01:54 PM) *

Some people may be parts collector’s. That part in 10 years may be worth a fortune?
Look at old toys in their original boxes. This is a chance to start a collection?

For a concourse 914 guy this would have been grabbed up. Some people just do not care.

Bob B

Could be. Then again, I have also seen the value of NOS parts drop like a rock when either the factory does another production run or an exact repro comes to market. Risky investment.
Coondog
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jul 1 2018, 06:24 PM) *

Bob B

Could be. Then again, I have also seen the value of NOS parts drop like a rock when either the factory does another production run or an exact repro comes to market. Risky investment.

All the repro lights are junk. I thought 914 rubber looked at making these but backed out due to cost of getting the electrical side done right ???

I recently paid 300.00 for a nos light in the box not because I was that concours guy, but I do take pride in the look of my interior. I found several used ones in the 150 range but they just didn’t have that new look I wanted.
mepstein
QUOTE(Coondog @ Jul 1 2018, 10:28 PM) *

Bob B

All the repro lights are junk. I thought 914 rubber looked at making these but backed out due to cost of getting the electrical side done right ???

I recently paid 300.00 for a nos light in the box not because I was that concours guy, but I do take pride in the look of my interior. I found several used ones in the 150 range but they just didn’t have that new look I wanted.

Use an led bulb. They run much cooler. Better for the plastic.
Tom_T
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 1 2018, 07:33 PM) *

Bob B

Use an led bulb. They run much cooler. Better for the plastic.

Even if you use the correct type bulb is better for the plastic. Most people & shops just stuck in whichever bulb was handy, which was usually 2x-3x what was spec'd for it! blink.gif

IIRC Jeff Bowlsby's website has the correct wattage, as does any owners manual, & one member posted his entire 73 manual - & the buld size was the same for 70-76 MYs IIRC - so easy enough to check.

FWIW - Be careful with LEDs too, since some can run hot, sometimes hotter than incandescent cat the base. The light itself is always much cooler, but a low quality converter/transformer or whatever they call that base part can run hot if not good quality. I had a defective LED heat up & melt a new factory OEM sidemarker lens on my 88 Westy after its resto, when I went to all LED exterior bulbs.

Courtesy of Jeff Bowlsby's website:
Click to view attachment

You can also downsize to a lesser 4-6 W bulb in them too, if you want to stick with a period correct incandescent bulb, but save on heat issues.

beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
maf914
Tom, Thanks for posting this chart. And, of course, thanks to Jeff Bowlsby for all of the good info on his 914 site.
Mike Fitton
Now on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Porsche-914-In...la/273334015199
Amphicar770

Bob B

Agree that current repros are crap. Nobody stated otherwise. Point was that IF/When quality repros do become available then the "investment" in keeping NOS parts on the shelf gets wiped out. Used, dented trim bits for Amphicars used to cost a fortune and repros were awful. Now there are two high quality repro providers and you can't give away the old crap.

I would buy this to put on my car but not as an investment where I hope to cash in down the road. In any event, we will soon know what it is worth.

mepstein
QUOTE(Amphicar770 @ Jul 2 2018, 03:00 PM) *

Bob B

Agree that current repros are crap. Nobody stated otherwise. Point was that IF/When quality repros do become available then the "investment" in keeping NOS parts on the shelf gets wiped out. Used, dented trim bits for Amphicars used to cost a fortune and repros were awful. Now there are two high quality repro providers and you can't give away the old crap.

I would buy this to put on my car but not as an investment where I hope to cash in down the road. In any event, we will soon know what it is worth.

Porsche parts seem to hold their own against even the good reproductions. George came out with his steel flares for $1K and originals went to $4k. Lots of other examples. Often, the repro parts are just a little off - even the good ones. More often, they are way off and very different. I agree that repros are often better than used and dented parts but NOS is a different animal. It also depends if the repros come from Porsche in a Porsche box or they are private label. NOS Hella lenses vs repros not made by hellla are another example. In the Porsche world, I have not seen many examples of a repro part wiping out demand for the real thing.
eric9144
QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jul 2 2018, 05:53 AM) *

Good choice first.gif
Curious what it will bid to, they are few and far between these days...
Woodside914
beerchug.gif popcorn[1].gif
orthobiz
Here was my new one without the box:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=83033

It's in my Phoenix Red show car.

Paul
branston
QUOTE(eric9144 @ Jul 2 2018, 03:27 PM) *

QUOTE(Mike Fitton @ Jul 2 2018, 05:53 AM) *

Good choice first.gif
Curious what it will bid to, they are few and far between these days...

for a VW beetle dome light.........
Cairo94507
Looks like it sold for $406. In the last 4 minutes it jumped $130 in price. beerchug.gif
toolguy
a***p(190) $406.00 5 Jul 2018 at 5:51:50AM PDT SOLD
a***p(190) $406.00 5 Jul 2018 at 5:51:30AM PDT
a***p(190) $406.00 5 Jul 2018 at 5:50:20AM PDT
a***p(190) $406.00 5 Jul 2018 at 5:49:53AM PDT
i***v(957) $401.00 5 Jul 2018 at 5:47:22AM PDT
t***b(92) $300.00 2 Jul 2018 at 9:03:03AM PDT
e***1(402) $269.14 2 Jul 2018 at 10:36:49AM PDT
e***1(402) $259.14 2 Jul 2018 at 10:36:34AM PDT
1***4(35) $225.00 2 Jul 2018 at 8:13:07AM PDT
t***b(92) $200.00 2 Jul 2018 at 7:14:32AM PDT
1***4(35) $175.00 2 Jul 2018 at 8:12:22AM PDT
j***r(63) $150.00 2 Jul 2018 at 6:52:30AM PDT
Starting Price $150.00 2 Jul 2018 at 5:52:04AM PDT
rhodyguy
The market has spoken.
gcrotvik
I was ok with paying 401.00 for it but honestly didn't think it would go that high. I thought bidding would stop at 325.00 or 350.00.
toolguy
Hey Hella Corporation . . since this is originally a VW part, you're missing a business opportunity. . . looks like there is a market out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.