Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Electric clueless
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Wew
Hi all,
1973 2.0
Car has been sitting for some time. I cannot remember or know what the electric lines got to.
These are coming out of the round hole in the center channel.
Any help and advice is much appreciated. headbang.gif

Thanks,

Gary
Click to view attachment
Wew
These wires are coming out from under the dash.again no clue to what they got to.
Thanks again Gary

Ps I installed the led lights and am getting the quick blinker, which relay is the right one for this scenario. I have searched but have found nothing definitive

Click to view attachment
Wew
And then there is this relay for the headlights. The new one I got does not have the line connecting the two poles.
Not sure if that’s a big deal or not.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
worn
QUOTE(Wew @ Jun 30 2018, 02:22 PM) *

These wires are coming out from under the dash.again no clue to what they got to.
Thanks again Gary

Ps I installed the led lights and am getting the quick blinker, which relay is the right one for this scenario. I have searched but have found nothing definitive

Click to view attachment

I think that the white plug in your hand goes to the seat belt light. If you don’t have one, I have seen them on eBay pretty cheap.
GeorgeRud
I think the double wires in the center console may be for the seatbelt interlock (they were in the ‘74 models, not sure about ‘73). The only other things I can think of in that area would be the light for the heater lever or perhaps power to the interior light (though I think that one is higher up on the firewall). Do you have the wiring diagram for your car? Otherwise you may find the circuit flow diagrams for the ‘74 on cars to be helpful.
Dave_Darling
I don't have access to my diagrams right now, so I can't search for the exact wire colors. (Some are also a little difficult to see in the photos.)

First picture: The white plastic connector looks like the kind used to plug in the seat-cushion occupancy sensor.

There's a black with a red stripe wire; that probably is switched power. If the stripes are purple, it would be the tach signal wire. It looks like that wire is crimped in with a plain black wire, which is a bit odd; plain black is often an unswitched power wire, such as powers the clock.

The stripes on the wire look non-factory, but we've seen wires striped like that in what appear to be factory wiring as well.

There is a pair of brown wires crimped into a single connector; those are ground. Plain brown is always ground. Next to it are brown/white striped wires; those would be some sort of switched ground. Might be from the door switches, going to the back-pad light.

The wires in the pic in the second post are dirty enough that it's hard to tell what they are. There's obviously a brown wire, but not sure if there are stripes; obviously a couple of white wires but again unsure about any stripes. Probably a brown stripe on one of those wires, but again tough to tell.

Dig into the wiring diagrams for the 73. Try to match up the colors of wire you have to those on the diagram.

--DD
Wew
Thank you all for the input. This really helps.

Spoke
QUOTE(Wew @ Jun 30 2018, 06:22 PM) *

I'm surprised you're getting hyperflashing as the stock 914 flasher relay won't hyperflash but will have other issues driving the turnsignal indicators in the tach when changing to LEDs.

LED-compatible flasher EP26 available at many FLAPS is pin compatible although it doesn't fix the turnsignal indicator issue. I resell EP26 modified to drive the turnsignal indicators. The flasher is one of the relays above the fuse panel. Not sure which one it is. I have usually turned the flasher on and follow the clicking to find the relay. Maybe someone else can chime in with regards to which relay is the flasher.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.