Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Height Question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Tobi
Hello together! I am looking into getting a 914 - absolutely love them - but I am 6.3. Do you think I would fit? Is there any way to testsit in one. I am from LA. Thanks for your input!!! Tobi
Coondog
Easy fit. Surprisingly 914 have lots of leg space. Hit up a local cars and coffee. Lots of 914 owners will give you a test fit.
PlaysWithCars
I'm 6'4" and fit, but I have long legs. If I had more torso length then headroom would be a problem with the top on (particularly with a helmet for autocrossing). But, its a fair weather car so I rarely have the top on.
oakdalecurtis
I am 6'4 and fit just fine in mine. I did make a few modifications to improve my car for my size however. I wear size 13 shoes, so I cut off my brake pedal and repositioned and welded the brake arm to the right edge of the brake pedal. That gives my right shoe about an extra inch of space between the brake pedal and the center console when my foot's on the gas pedal. Otherwise my right foot would catch on the edge of the brake pedal while it was on the gas pedal. I also lifted the front edge of my driver seat cushion about an inch with a vinyl covered wood block underneath the front edge for better thigh support. Then I installed a smaller Momo steering wheel on a JWest Engineering eccentric steering wheel spacer. This eccentric spacer raises the already smaller Momo steering wheel about an inch to give my legs more room under the wheel. The raised steering wheel also allows the dash gauges to be easily seen without the wheel blocking them from view. Finally, I added a Rennline short shift kit and repositioned the shifter slightly to the right, again to give my long legs more room between the steering wheel and the shifter. Here's what it all looks like when finished. Notice the raised driver's cushion, the easy view of the dash gauges, and the wide gap between the steering wheel and the shifter now. None of these mods are "necessary" for you to fit in your car, but all together, they make driving mine a perfect pleasure for someone our size.
Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
I'm 6'-1" long torso and although I fit OK I always felt my head was too high and I always have the targa bar blocking part of my rear view mirror. I experimented with removing my seat pad and sitting on towels, now I have cut about a 1.5 inch off the bottom of the seat cushion foam pad and it's almost perfect. It also locks you in the seat better, sort of poorman's bolsters.
Almost because it's now a bit hard, if I was to do it again I'd cut off about a 1/2" less. I may add a bit of foam back one day.
bdstone914

Can you post a picture of the finished pedal mod ? I sometimes get requests from customer having their pedal rebuilt and have issues with long legs and big feet.

If the OP wants a pedal to modify brake pedal I will offer one free for shipping.
oakdalecurtis
QUOTE(bdstone914 @ Jul 1 2018, 06:41 AM) *

Can you post a picture of the finished pedal mod ? I sometimes get requests from customer having their pedal rebuilt and have issues with long legs and big feet.

If the OP wants a pedal to modify brake pedal I will offer one free for shipping.

==============================================
Here's how I did mine. I did not want to remove the pedal box to weld the brake pedal over so I cut off the brake pedal at the end of the brake arm with a hacksaw. Then I welded a short flat metal bar with two holes drilled through it to the right edge of the back of the pedal. I also welded a small triangular metal gusset between the short arm and the back of the pedal to prevent the pedal from bending over under braking pressures. Then I drilled two matching holes through the brake arm, in place, and bolted the short flat bar arm with the pedal to it. This resulted in moving the brake pedal about and inch to the left from the stock location. It's easier to do than it sounds. The next three pictures should suffice.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.