Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sway Bar Finish
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
simonjb
HI,

I am restoring an original front sway bar. I've clean up all the parts and am looking to finish to original condition.

I think the drop links were gloss black? And the sway bar itself.

What about the remaining parts?

Thanks
Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Simon,

On my early 73 2L they were all done in the same Satin Black for both the F & R sway bars at all parts, as was used on engine tins, gas tank, etc.

There might be pix of them in the O&H Forum's "The few, the rare..." nailed forum of Steve G's/smg914's Sahara Beige all original example there. That topic is a great resource for checking stuff like this.

IIRC the Body section of the 8-9 volume factory shop manual has a paint reference for that satin black (you can buy the manuals on CD from AA & maybe other vendors or a member for about $30-40) - or you can have a pro auto paint supplier use their "gun" to match from one of the metal bits where you still have the original satin black on there.

Oddly enough - there are different blacks & whites, just as with the other colors.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
914Next
Here are a couple of pics from my ‘73 2.0. These are original parts on the car. Not great...taken before I started detailing and the car was under coated but you can see The yellow cad playing easily in one pics and also showing through the undercoating in another of the pics. These are original parts. I also have some nos pieces and they are plated also not painted.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
914Next
QUOTE(914Next @ Jul 1 2018, 03:39 PM) *

Here are a couple of pics from my ‘73 2.0. These are original parts on the car. Not great...taken before I started detailing and the car was under coated but you can see The yellow cad playing easily in one pics and also showing through the undercoating in another of the pics. These are original parts. I also have some nos pieces and they are plated also not painted.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Mueller
Ditto on the yellow zinc or yellow chromate for the links and arms.

My factory 15mm bar is painted/coated black except for the square ends.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.