Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body shop around Portland, Or. also t4 to t1 engine.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stanthedog
I want to get my 73's body restored and wondering if there's a body shop in or around Portland Or. that know's these cars. Hellhole repair being the biggest problem. Body is actually in great shape.
JRust
QUOTE(stanthedog @ Jul 1 2018, 02:45 PM) *

I want to get my 73's body restored and wondering if there's a body shop in or around Portland Or. that know's these cars. Hellhole repair being the biggest problem. Body is actually in great shape.

Get ahold of Cary here on the world. I'm not sure of his company name. He's out in Sherwood & does it on the side. He works at roth sport for his main gig I believe
ConeDodger
QUOTE(JRust @ Jul 1 2018, 07:48 PM) *

QUOTE(stanthedog @ Jul 1 2018, 02:45 PM) *

Get ahold of Cary here on the world. I'm not sure of his company name. He's out in Sherwood & does it on the side. He works at roth sport for his main gig I believe

Mittlemotors?
warpig
Cary at
Middle Motors
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=1608

cary
My semi official schedule is :

Rothsport : Mon, Tues & Wed.
MiddleMotors : Thurs, Fri and most Sat.

But I just got told I'm building two rally cars after I get a couple other projects started. 1. A complete Tuthill G-Body gravel rally car. 2. Rothsport Baja #3.

A little clarification. I don't do any primer, bondo or painting. My primary business model is rustoration. Cut out rotten cancer sections and replace with new metal.
I can also totally strip you car down to the last bolt, label and bag all parts. Refurbish any and all parts as needed or requested. Can have all removed hardware prepped and replated.
I have multiple sources for auto body painting. Anywhere from daily driver to shops that do $200 to $300k restorations and or RS backdates.
stanthedog
I'll be selling my ghia to help fund the body work and paint. Then I'll be doing some engine work while I wait.
I was wondering whats involved with putting a t1 engine(uh-oh) in, I know it's a primitive design compaired to the t4, But i've got a 2L t1 moter sitting around with nowhere to go. it's only got about 500 miles on it and makes about 150hp. probably just while rebuilding the 2.0 t4 motor.
914forme
Pictures of the Ghia, I might be interested if it is not to nice lol-2.gif

Also the T1 will bolt up, engine tin might be a bit of a hassle, but then the T4 was a much better engine in the evolution of these little air-cooled motors.
SirAndy
QUOTE(stanthedog @ Jul 2 2018, 01:29 PM) *
I was wondering whats involved with putting a t1 engine(uh-oh) in

Easy ...
wacko.gif

IPB Image
sixnotfour
https://www.facebook.com/brosseauscoachworks/

http://www.coachworks.works/

has done a bunch of 914s
r_towle
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 2 2018, 09:38 PM) *

QUOTE(stanthedog @ Jul 2 2018, 01:29 PM) *
I was wondering whats involved with putting a t1 engine(uh-oh) in

Easy ...
wacko.gif

IPB Image

Rarely do things offend my eyes.
This one is just wrong!
Mark Henry
QUOTE(stanthedog @ Jul 2 2018, 04:29 PM) *

I was wondering whats involved with putting a t1 engine(uh-oh) in, I know it's a primitive design compaired to the t4, But i've got a 2L t1 moter sitting around with nowhere to go. it's only got about 500 miles on it and makes about 150hp. probably just while rebuilding the 2.0 t4 motor.

I build performance T1, T4 and 996 engines and I highly doubt the 150hp figure and if it truly is 150hp it will still be a sucky engine in a 914.
The 914 T4 is about torque, smooth torque, the T1 is an off/on switch the pedal is to the floor or your foot is off of it.

My buddy has T1 2007cc big valve 044 heads, engle 130 cam with 44 IDF that he claimed was 150hp. I have a Gene Berg 2007cc from a full GB kit with ported and polished stock valves heads, 42mm DCNF's, Engle 110 cam that Gene himself told me is no more than 105hp.
My car is faster than buddy's in every gear, almost 2 seconds quicker on the 1/8 mile.

Many engine builders embellish their HP figures to make a sale, I don't. There's a semi-local guy on one of my FB groups that has a engine built by a very well known long time builder (shop that recently changed hands), it's a 2056 and he's claiming the builder says it's 210hp.
I called bs.gif and he's all mad at me now, as usual it's not worth arguing about.

Can a T1 in a 914 be done? Sure it can, the upright fan is likely too tall so I'd use a T3 fan shroud, then with just a bit of tin surround mods and an engine bar it should bolt in.
But then you will need to make a custom header and exhaust system... and it has to be a proper header to keep that 150hp figure.

My '67 bug is now a 180hp, but I have a 2600cc highly modified T4 in it.
stanthedog
The t1 is a 2074 with steve tims st-2 42x37 valves engle 120cam. match ported to weber 44's. eagle H beam rods. A little over 9 to 1 cr. compression test put them all at 165 lbs.
the only downside is the 92mm jugs. probably switch to 92 thick walls or 94's. In my ghia it pulled like a frieght train from about 2k to when I decided to let off the throttle. with the sidewinder 1-1/2" exhast it sounds like a banchie wail.
pulled the engine to put the stock motor back in to sell because it didnt increase the value of the car. especially the mony invested in that engine.
Mark Henry
It won't increase the value of a 914 either. biggrin.gif

Can it be done?
Sure my buddy had a 911 '70 (-ish) targa that he put a T1 engine in for his daughter to drive to high school. Pretty sure you don't even need a clutch/fly adapter.

Would I do it?
No.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.