Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1st reverse slider - grade this one an A, B, C, D, or and F
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jjs3rd914
See my other thread as I have 3 tranny's that I want to make one great one out of good used parts minimizing new things to buy.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...mp;hl=Jjs3rd914

Got everything we need but of the three 1st/reverse sliders, 2 are junk, and this one we think is ok to use. Not having a new one to compare in hand but only referencing photos we think this one could work with a good set of dog teeth.

So what's the opinion of those who are familiar with tranny's ?? Dr. Evil what do you think.

Thanks

jjs3rd914
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment

Mblizzard
Always follow your Doctor's advice but that seems pretty worn on the top and the pitting seems to be a concern as well.

If the Dr doesn't chime in I have a couple that he has rated as acceptable that I can post some pictures of.

Some high resolution pictured might be helpful as well.
jjs3rd914
QUOTE(Mblizzard @ Jul 2 2018, 12:12 PM) *

Always follow your Doctor's advice but that seems pretty worn on the top and the pitting seems to be a concern as well.

If the Dr doesn't chime in I have a couple that he has rated as acceptable that I can post some pictures of.

Some high resolution pictured might be helpful as well.

Thanks some better pics of what is acceptable would help. I will also try to get better pics but the file size is too large to add when using my phone, hence the photos from an older camera. here is another attempt at pics.

Thanks

jjs3rd914
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
Hard to tell from that angle. Looks potentially useable. Take a pick across the flats looking at the side of the points. The height and sharpness of the peaks of the points is the determining factor.
Dr Evil
Here is a crude pictorial to explain. Pic from side view with points facing up.

Good slider
Click to view attachment

Worn but usable slider
Click to view attachment

Bad slider.
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
There is also wear that happens on the fluted part of the inside dia where the metal "smears" into the canals. I wont be drawing that, but usually if the points are crap, that is when you will see the other wear. You can try to true them with a file, but it is tedious. There is an indent that runs around the inner dia that is there to retain the synchro band, you also need to assure that it is intact and not flattened out or it will pop out of gear. BTW, I have new ones for $375 and used for $150.
ChrisFoley
At least in your picture the shape of the synchro teeth and the internal surfaces appear to have good definition, ie. not worn down or smeared. Based on that I would be inclined to use it.
I'm less concerned with the wear on the outside "teeth".
Dr Evil
Your pick works well for the internal stuff. The parallel upright lines show the fluted part that can smear into the channels.

The yellow points annotate the tips that wear down.

The arrow is pointing to the depression in the inner radius that captures and holds the synchro band to keep your car in gear.
jjs3rd914
Many many thanks to Dr. Evil and others. I am inclined to use it with some "clean up".

So I also with the prior ok from Dr. Evil will use a 2-5 dog teeth and brake bands to which I have several good ones from the spare tanny's on 1st gear. No need to use the special 1st gear dog tooth gear and brake bands apparently.

If we find the first gear slider does not work smoothly, at least its relatively easy to replace later.

Again THANKS

jjs3rd914

jjs3rd914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 3 2018, 05:14 AM) *

Hard to tell from that angle. Looks potentially useable. Take a pick across the flats looking at the side of the points. The height and sharpness of the peaks of the points is the determining factor.

Here is the pict I think Dr. Evil wants.
Thanks

jjs3rd914

Click to view attachment
Mblizzard
It is amazing how the angle of the picture hides or reveals so much!
Dr Evil
QUOTE(jjs3rd914 @ Jul 3 2018, 01:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 3 2018, 05:14 AM) *

Here is the pict I think Dr. Evil wants.
Thanks

jjs3rd914

Click to view attachment

Ya, or from the outside looking at the proximal teeth wink.gif

Id use that one.
jjs3rd914
GREAT

THANKS

jjs3rd914
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.