Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Interesting pressure relief issue, can it be sleeved?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mark Henry
Customer brought me a GA case to do a performance bug T4 DTM conversion.
He was going to DIY the job, till he fuched up and drilled the wrong place thinking he was doing the oil galley plug job. He chickened out after this and is having me do the build.
I've already talked him into using a different case for the build, so no rush, but he'd like to save the case.

So he drilled right into the oil pressure relief area of the case, enlarging the port. I didn't want to use it for his build in case the piston cocks, snags, etc.

Could this machined OS and sleeved? some other method?
Or is he hooped?
Mark Henry
Forgot the pics smile.gif
I tapped it for a 3/8" plug, the hole he drilled was already this size so I couldn't have done it for any smaller plug.

3rd pic the pencil is pointing right where the relief piston sits.
Bartlett 914
Looks to me you are out of luck. Is the seat at the top damaged? I have 2 cases here one shows this galley plug looking spot. Is this a plug? It looks like a spot on the casting only. I may have a case if you need one
914forme
I would ream the hole. Add a solid pice back in, weld it up, machine it up, and be done. Problem is the impurities in the metal.

Oh course the man hours to do all that would be screwy.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Jul 3 2018, 05:18 PM) *

Looks to me you are out of luck. Is the seat at the top damaged? I have 2 cases here one shows this galley plug looking spot. Is this a plug? It looks like a spot on the casting only. I may have a case if you need one

The seat is OK but that "galley hole" is just shy of 180* round of the bore. not going to use the case because I know sure as poop it will bite me on the ass.

I have a case in stock for him, it's already prepped for a DTM conversion and the oil galley plugs are done right.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 3 2018, 03:00 PM) *
sure as poop it will bite me on the ass

Try wet wipes ...
biggrin.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 3 2018, 09:47 PM) *

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jul 3 2018, 03:00 PM) *
sure as poop it will bite me on the ass

Try wet wipes ...
biggrin.gif

Gee thanks Andy... laugh.gif I think I'll use the other case...no wet wipes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.